The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

2 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

THe bigger question is does anyone thing Tom will ever hit bottom? Like see all this shit just blow up in his face? Or will he be able to live the rest of his life as a delusional morons pissing away hordes of money on stuff that doesn't sell?

I think at a certain point the chickens have to come to roost. But its been 14 years now. Maybe not.

I'd say no because he will always think he's too forward thinking and probably too ahead of his time. I'm sure he sees Spotify as something Modlife was supposed to be.

4 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Yeah. Money is good. He is a smart man. You'd have done the same. 

Difficult question to answer.

If I was in a band, that was mine, and I had artistic control, and we weren't filthy rich, but we did well, and I was given the option, to go into a band where I am bitch, with no artist control, and be filthy rich. I would pass.

In fact, in my own job there are examples of this, I could make a lot more money by putting myself n a shitty situation. I pass. Not worth it.

Of course its possible that Matt is okay with being a bitch. That certainly changes the equation. I'd jump at the chance to make money if the situation was good.

15 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

If I was in a band, that was mine, and I had artistic control, and we weren't filthy rich, but we did well, and I was given the option, to go into a band where I am bitch, with no artist control, and be filthy rich. I would pass.

In fact, in my own job there are examples of this, I could make a lot more money by putting myself n a shitty situation. I pass. Not worth it.

Of course its possible that Matt is okay with being a bitch. That certainly changes the equation. I'd jump at the chance to make money if the situation was good.

There's nothing stopping Matt or you from doing something on the side to stroke your lofty concept of artistic integrity. 

You know damn well you'd take the money, that's silly. 

35 minutes ago, Speedo said:

There's nothing stopping Matt or you from doing something on the side to stroke your lofty concept of artistic integrity. 

You know damn well you'd take the money, that's silly. 

Doesn't look like he can do his real band or it significantly impacts it.

If I was already rich, no I wouldn't. Money is not everything. It really is amazing the shit people will do for money they really don't need. I'd rather do what I love for less than do what I hate for more. I am being 100% serious.

Now in my current situation, of course I'd do it. In Matt's situation? Probably not.

4 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Doesn't look like he can do his real band or it significantly impacts it.

If I was already rich, no I wouldn't. Money is not everything. It really is amazing the shit people will do for money they really don't need. I'd rather do what I love for less than do what I hate for more. I am being 100% serious.

Now in my current situation, of course I'd do it. In Matt's situation? Probably not.

Jesus Christ, I agree with you, but this sentiment coming from you - Jesus Christ.

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

THe bigger question is does anyone thing Tom will ever hit bottom? Like see all this shit just blow up in his face? Or will he be able to live the rest of his life as a delusional morons pissing away hordes of money on stuff that doesn't sell?

I think at a certain point the chickens have to come to roost. But its been 14 years now. Maybe not.

he has got to be kicking himself over this Vegas residency. The $$$ they're going to make of this thing...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

The royalties he's still making has probably got him smiling.  You can't cover someone's song's without paying him off in some way.

You can do whatever you want live. You can't record someone's songs without paying or getting permission. 

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

You can do whatever you want live. You can't record someone's songs without paying or getting permission. 

No kidding. Thought cover bands needed a license/permission to do so also.  Ppl plop YouTube covers up daily, wonder where that lays.

7 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

No kidding. Thought cover bands needed a license/permission to do so also.  Ppl plop YouTube covers up daily, wonder where that lays.

@Kvothe Can probably explain it better than I can. 

Honestly, most of the time the artists are pretty cool about it... I've only really had experience with the punk scene so take it for what it is but any time I've asked to cover a song for a recording or use a song in a project everyone has been super gracious and accommodating. 

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

Ehhh I bet Skiba makes more off one Blink show than he did in a full year with Alk3... so it is a huge difference. At some point you've gotta start to realize you are worth more than what you were getting, and also want to make sure you are set for life. You can always go back and play Alk3 shows. It's just gotta suck singing some stupid corny song like First Date and having 20k people go nuts, when you have written such deep beautiful songs that no one really cares about lol. O'well, that new Audi doesn't discriminate!

6 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

****Took his time paying Rubin to write Dream Walker for him****

Fixed.

Haha, it's true that Rubin had a lot of artistic control over the Dream Walker. But it's apples & oranges when compared to blink with Feldman in my opinion. Rubin was the drummer and actually part of the band, and his influence on the album is obvious. He essentially did what Skiba should've been doing in blink.

Feldman was the producer, making California sound like a forced step back to the Enema/Take Off albums in order to make blink more relevant in the mainstream again despite not being part of the band. There was no Skiba influence at all in the sound of California. The guy was pretty much a session guitarist/singer instead of an actual band member. Skiba's situation is like David & Matt when they were in AVA, hardly any input whatsoever unless it's lyrics. Really he should've been bringing his own sound to blink, which is exactly what Rubin did with AVA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedo said:

@Kvothe Can probably explain it better than I can. 

Honestly, most of the time the artists are pretty cool about it... I've only really had experience with the punk scene so take it for what it is but any time I've asked to cover a song for a recording or use a song in a project everyone has been super gracious and accommodating. 

I've posted a bunch of covers on youtube - none have done well, but all were flagged and demonetised, and that includes The Misfits and Against Me, so its not just popular stuff.

Labels clamped down on it on youtube really hard.

10 minutes ago, Kay said:

I've posted a bunch of covers on youtube - none have done well, but all were flagged and demonetised, and that includes The Misfits and Against Me, so its not just popular stuff.

Labels clamped down on it on youtube really hard.

Flagged as in full on strike? or just demonitized?

4 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Ehhh I bet Skiba makes more off one Blink show than he did in a full year with Alk3... so it is a huge difference. At some point you've gotta start to realize you are worth more than what you were getting, and also want to make sure you are set for life. You can always go back and play Alk3 shows. It's just gotta suck singing some stupid corny song like First Date and having 20k people go nuts, when you have written such deep beautiful songs that no one really cares about lol. O'well, that new Audi doesn't discriminate!

Skiba is certainly not worth whatever Blink is paying him.

I could do a better job

^

This statement led to a guitar competition.

But most people could. I'm betting Skiba was set for life with AK3. I bet he was a millionaire. Again, in his position, I would not be someone's bitch for a better payday. I could double my salary being someone's bitch, being in a crappy situation. It is a big NO THANK YOU.