Official Hip Hop/Rap Thread

Scott.

4 minutes ago, Nasa said:

@Elisa what do you think about the new brockhampton album?

I think this new Brockhampton album is good. I believe I still like the saturations just a bit better in terms of catchiness and beats, but this album easily has the best production of any of their projects and it feels cohesive. Great mix of raw emotional tracks and bangers too. I expected them to speak on Ameer but they didn't and it's probably better off this way.
Joba's part on TAPE is one of my favourite moments, he has an introspective verse that reminds me of JOHNNY and it's good. I originally didn't love Joba but his style has grown on me (he's great on 1998 TRUMAN), then I think J’Ouvert is one of the most interesting tracks, probably the best Merlyn has ever sounded on a beat. And I also love how Bearface is getting more time on the album. I'm saying too many random things now haha but I like it. Not as much as the 3 saturations but it's a good album. And I'm still waiting to catch them live, hopefully next year. 

• Like 1

one last thing, I think there's been an abuse of autotune and that's irritating because sometimes you can't tell bearface and kevin apart in some tracks.
I'd give a 7/10 to the album.  Favourite songs: J’ouvert, Honey, Tape, Thug Life, Weight

22 hours ago, Elisa said:

I think this new Brockhampton album is good. I believe I still like the saturations just a bit better in terms of catchiness and beats, but this album easily has the best production of any of their projects and it feels cohesive. Great mix of raw emotional tracks and bangers too. I expected them to speak on Ameer but they didn't and it's probably better off this way.
Joba's part on TAPE is one of my favourite moments, he has an introspective verse that reminds me of JOHNNY and it's good. I originally didn't love Joba but his style has grown on me (he's great on 1998 TRUMAN), then I think J’Ouvert is one of the most interesting tracks, probably the best Merlyn has ever sounded on a beat. And I also love how Bearface is getting more time on the album. I'm saying too many random things now haha but I like it. Not as much as the 3 saturations but it's a good album. And I'm still waiting to catch them live, hopefully next year. 

22 hours ago, Elisa said:

one last thing, I think there's been an abuse of autotune and that's irritating because sometimes you can't tell bearface and kevin apart in some tracks.
I'd give a 7/10 to the album.  Favourite songs: J’ouvert, Honey, Tape, Thug Life, Weight

Sooo I love the album. I think it sounds exactly like the album that they'd make after losing Ameer: simultaneously angry and melancholic. I think the emotional tracks generally outweigh the bangers in terms of quality, especially in the first half of the album (with the exception of "Where the Cash At") because it's harder to tell the difference between the bangers. Some of the bangers sound unfocused in terms of construction and hooks. But the emotional tracks like "Thug Life," "Weight," and "San Marcos" are on point and awesome. Joba and Merlyn are the stars of this album, as is Romil for the production.

Overall I'd rate it a light 9/10. Favorite track is "Weight" and least favorite track is "Vivid."

I saw them live about a week ago, and the bangers sounded MUCH better live, even the unfocused ones. Brockhampton themselves were good, but the crowd sucked, lmao. They had no energy and didn't know what a mosh pit was!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...