Your Favorite Album Production

whales

9 hours ago, daveyjones said:

it's funny, i did not think i would, but i love the 1997 stereo mix (supervised and approved by brian wilson, despite him being deaf in one ear) as much as the original mono mix. a good comparison:

https://cosmomusic.ca/blogs/2016/08/jimmys-classic-album-review-the-beach-boys-pet-sounds-mono-vs-stereo

Well, for the mono version, the one to go is the DCC one. And for the stereo version, you have to check the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab release. Absolutely gorgeous. You'll love it. I mean, I even like those (the DCC and the MFSL) more than the 'official' Capitol releases. Also, on audiophile-land, seems like those are the releases to go to for this album.

Really agree with Clarity! Also Dude Ranch! Wish I liked more bands that Trombino produced, dude had it.

Others: The ethans-Don't Back Down, Screeching Weasel-First World Manifesto, The Ramones-Pleasant Dreams, Shelley's Children-The Mask of Anarchy and Everytown and of course the Muffs-Blonder and Blonder. And Weezer's Blue album too.

17 hours ago, daveyjones said:

pet sounds is godly. and yes, i think dookie is the best green day ever sounded.

Pet Sounds sounds wonderful. 

I think Dookie sounds great on the slower tracks, but the more angsty shit sounds terrible to me. Insomniac is proably the best sounding punk album in my opinon ever, even if the songs aren't the best and I feel like it's almost a contradiction to make an album that "punk" and have it sound that well produced. 

2 hours ago, Whales said:

@Kay Goodbye Sky Harbor is a beautiful song and I'd never heard it before. I've listened to a decent amount of Jimmy Eat World, but never extensively.

Clarity as a record has some absolutely beautiful songs on it. Jimmy are a weird band because they can have incredibly 'meh' albums with one or two amazing songs on - their later albums are great examples of that, and Jimmy hit a lot of different moods like they can do poppy catchy typical easy rock (basically all the singles) they can go darker and heavier (Nothing Wrong, Get It Faster, Your New Aesthetic, Robot Factory) just plain weird (Night Drive, Gotta Be Somebody's Blues, Cautioners, Episode VI) or almost etherial (Drugs Or Me, Table For Glasses, Hear You Me). Despite their reputation for fairly boring dad emo rock they can hit a lot of different areas, I'd always recommend them. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, thongrider said:

Pet Sounds sounds wonderful. 

I think Dookie sounds great on the slower tracks, but the more angsty shit sounds terrible to me. Insomniac is proably the best sounding punk album in my opinon ever, even if the songs aren't the best and I feel like it's almost a contradiction to make an album that "punk" and have it sound that well produced. 

I bought Pet Sounds because Joe ethan listed it as one of the greatest productions ever done. Now, I'm not knocking Joe, he certainly knows way more than me but I hated it.

I hate the way Dookie sounds, in fact it's one of the main reasons I don't listen to it anymore. Insomniac is pretty good although I thought all the songs were great but the best sounding for me from Green Day is Warning. 

• Like 1

Yep, after all the 'noise', Warning was a very down to earth album in all terms. I love it too.

Talking about Green Day sound, in general, I'd like to give the example of how a record can change due to the mastering process.

American Idiot was an album which, well, sounded decent, but that ended up very improved when was remastered by Ted Jensen (who, originally did the original released one, which is funny) for HDTracks. And it's curious to see how the same guy that did the original mastering, re-did it a few years after, resulting in an amazing job: less compression, lower levels, no peaking... it all translates in a more dynamic album, and, moreover, with more separation, breathing feeling and punchier drums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Yep, after all the 'noise', Warning was a very down to earth album in all terms. I love it too.

Talking about Green Day sound, in general, I'd like to give the example of how a record can change due to the mastering process.

American Idiot was an album which, well, sounded decent, but that ended up very improved when was remastered by Ted Jensen (who, originally did the original released one, which is funny) for HDTracks. And it's curious to see how the same guy that did the original mastering, re-did it a few years after, resulting in an amazing job: less compression, lower levels, no peaking... it all translates in a more dynamic album, and, moreover, with more separation, breathing feeling and punchier drums.

In my honest opinion 1,039 Slappy Hours is the best production they've had on an album, super natural, you can hear everything, and a certain dark feel that really compliments the tone of the album. :)

14 minutes ago, Alf said:

In my honest opinion 1,039 Slappy Hours is the best production they've had on an album, super natural, you can hear everything, and a certain dark feel that really compliments the tone of the album. :)

I'm not sure if you like the production on that compilation (because that's a compilation of their first releases), or the lack of it, hahaha. Which is fine, don't get me wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, Ghost said:

I'm not sure if you like the production on that compilation (because that's a compilation of their first releases), or the lack of it, hahaha. Which is fine, don't get me wrong.

Hahaha well there definitely is minimal production, but it's done in a way that I really like. :)

25 minutes ago, Alf said:

Hahaha well there definitely is minimal production, but it's done in a way that I really like. :)

What he is saying is that it's not a single produced people. Its several release combined, there wasn't a consensual production between the songs. What you like is the low budget recordings, not the production. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Methodist Coloring Book said:

What he is saying is that it's not a single produced people. Its several release combined, there wasn't a consensual production between the songs. What you like is the low budget recordings, not the production. 

Yeah man I guess you're right.

Sometimes I wish I just had something to say-

DOODODODODODOODODOOOO

On 11/4/2018 at 10:02 PM, daveyjones said:

the production of the blue album and pinkerton by weezer are both lovely. but for different reasons: on blue, the guitars crush and are mixed perfectly with the vocals; on pink, the "big room" drums sound is epic beyond belief.

Hell yeah the production is great on both of those albums.  Really in your face vocals.  Crisp man. :)