Would you go see Blink 182 live?

High Value Man

Poll  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go see Blink 182 live?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

The very reason I initially took interest in Blink 182 was that thier live show was more of an experience (banter, onstage antics etc) then it was about being perfect musically. It was presented as 3 guys who went onstage having fun, entertaining the crowd with humor and playing some songs.

This is a valid complaint, but 1. Tom is gone (so there goes most the humor), and 2. As mid 40's musicians, they decided to sound the best they could w/backing tracks as opposed to raw dogging it. (They did this before Skiba, so it's not unique to this era). I don't think anyone prefers 2018 Blink over 2001 Blink, but things have changed so it's a matter of getting NOTHING or something. I choose the latter, as I've had plenty of good times with the band/shows/songs/community in the past 3 years that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

9 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

and you know what creates that spark and passion for your music?

budding your heads together and working your ass  of to create music that you love and can't wait to play to people because you're so proud of what you just created. working over lyrics for weeks until you get them perfect... trying out 15 different choruses until you get the best one. singing your lines for days until you get a killer take that doesn't need major processing.

They were in the studio from 7am to 3am the next morning for 2 months straight recording California, so to say they weren't passionate or tweaking things to make them perfect isn't valid. I'm sure they tried plenty of different lyrics/choruses, SOOHM they said went through 5 different choruses and they kept going at it as they wanted it to be perfect. You can sing your lines a million times, the Feldy processing you hate would be there regardless.

This is fan fiction to justify hating Cali/current Blink direction IMHO. For every "TAKE YOUR TIME AND CARE MORE!"  style post, there is a counter argument that they pooped out Rock Show and First Date in a day...which are 2 of their biggest hits.

4 minutes ago, Cantankersaurus said:

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a better guitar tone. Skiba and post-Tom Tom have shit for guitar tone and Mark's bass doesn't fit in the pocket it needs to because of it. 

I actually really like Skiba's live tone, it's the main thing he brings to the band live IMHO.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Tom's guitar sound got slated as it sounded weak, which is pretty fair.

Bit of a myth that Skiba has a good sound, when distortion is on it sounds like he's playing a Squier through a practise amp and his clean tone is fucking dreadful.

Marks bass has always sounded decent to me, but TOYPAJ was his best sound for me, loads of tone and sounded pretty beefy as well. 

It sounded great back in the days. It doesn't sound like he's using the rockerverb anymore though. If he does, he must be using some weird amp sims and stuff on it because it doesn't sound like one.

Just now, Ry-Bread said:

I actually really like Skiba's live tone, it's the main thing he brings to the band live IMHO.

I won't begrudge you that, bud. To each their own, I suppose. It just clashes with everything else ... I mean, on the record its fine, could be a bit beefier but live someone isn't doing something right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

This is fan fiction to justify hating Cali/current Blink direction IMHO. For every "TAKE YOUR TIME AND CARE MORE!"  style post, there is a counter argument that they pooped out Rock Show and First Date in a day...which are 2 of their biggest hits.

i don't like those two songs either... their simple and i totally get why it resonated well with radio...  i don't hate all songs of the cali era, just so you know

didn't they brag about how they wrote 30 songs in a month? first thought best thought is their main approach?

• Like 1

It's well known that Mark was stuck overthinking songs and lyrics, tinkering with them until they died a slow death. It's not surprising that they went with a "first thought, best thought" mentality this time around. Especially since they were going for a simpler, classic blink sound.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

didn't they brag about how they wrote 30 songs in a month? first thought best thought is their main approach?

I don't know why it's so shocking to people that Mark Hoppus + Matt Skiba + Travis Barker + John Feldmann would be able to write a bunch of songs when at the studio 18 hours a day for 2 months? They are all very creative people, Skiba is a brilliant song writer and John lives and breathes this stuff. Hell I come up with a new melody or chorus idea almost every day at some point and I'm a computer nerd at a desk in Indiana. 

I have no problem with the "first thought, best thought" approach, it's a technique to get the creative juices flowing and you can always scrap or refine afterwards. I'm sure there was tons of material that didn't work and they scrapped it, but also some good that comes out of it - which may not have happened if you're staring at a notebook second guessing everything.

i absolutely believe that it's no problem to write that many songs in a month. but i think they lack depth because of it in this case. that's just my opinion and I hope they are happy with what they came up with.

but i struggle to believe that it's equally rewarding to tour a record you wrote and recorded in 2 months, for 2 years as it is with a record you're super emotionally attached to....

i get that enema was also written quite fast, and i have no idea if mark and matt are super emotionally attached to their new music and tried really hard to progress and make an album that they( not the label) love ...

we'll never know.

i just think it's wierd that they chose to add a non single(obvious) , written and sung by tom 15 years ago, to the set instead of playing a new tune they "wrote together". how about the potentional fan-favorite rabbit hole that mark thought would become a live-staple for the rest of their careers?

could it be that they are already tired of those songs?

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

They were in the studio from 7am to 3am the next morning for 2 months straight recording California, so to say they weren't passionate or tweaking things to make them perfect isn't valid. I'm sure they tried plenty of different lyrics/choruses, SOOHM they said went through 5 different choruses and they kept going at it as they wanted it to be perfect. You can sing your lines a million times, the Feldy processing you hate would be there regardless.

If you don't waste AT LEAST 16 months renting a house as a pop/rock band dabbling over ToNeS and overthinking the perfect, obscure poetry...your album is SHIT and not ArT, bro. 

32 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Untitled was much better though wasn't it? was time and money well spent.

Untitled was written in their prime, pre-Tom mental health issues. Now Tom isn't even in the band. They wanted to try another album like that, renting a house, and Tom flew the coop.

From all accounts, the album they are currently working on is being approached differently than California.

Not every album has to be done exactly the same. And what worked in 2003 with a different lineup is not guaranteed to be the right approach 15 years later.

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

It's well known that Mark was stuck overthinking songs and lyrics, tinkering with them until they died a slow death. It's not surprising that they went with a "first thought, best thought" mentality this time around. Especially since they were going for a simpler, classic blink sound.

Or you could, you know, meet in the middle somewhere?  First thought best thought is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Just now, NJansaid said:

Or you could, you know, meet in the middle somewhere?  First thought best thought is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

It's not meeting in the middle if all of them agreed that it was best that they worked fast and not over-analyze things on that album.

What's dumb is acting like the recording process on ONE album is the end all be all existence of blink-182.

14 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's not meeting in the middle if all of them agreed that it was best that they worked fast and not over-analyze things on that album.

What's dumb is acting like the recording process on ONE album is the end all be all existence of blink-182.

Meet my friend at the Target curb, Matt just broke his wrist! And generic lyrics making no sense whatsoever (think Rabbit Hole) is far from 'not over-analyzing'.  Meet in the middle, don't overthink and drive yourself crazy but ffs make it somewhat creative.  That's what blink is known for, being funny and clever with their songs.

There are countless examples of blink having lyrics that don't pierce into your soul. Been over this a thousand times. If you don't like it, move on, there will be more albums. If you don't like albums with Matt or Feldmann, then listen to something else.

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

There are countless examples of blink having lyrics that don't pierce into your soul. Been over this a thousand times. If you don't like it, move on, there will be more albums. If you don't like albums with Matt or Feldmann, then listen to something else.

Yeah, it's definitely beating a dead horse so I don't want to dwell on it either but it's different when it's an entirety of the album vs nitpicked examples on an entire catalogue.

What else are we going to talk about in the blink section? 

We will not be silenced!!  It's good to know your ears aren't failing you, you know?  When I listen to newest releases of my favorite band and am let down by it I want to see what the others are saying..nothing unusual here

Time taken was not the problem. Shitty producer/song writer for hire was.

Feldmann actually doesn't know what a good distorted guitar sounds like. First major issue right out of the gait, the list goes on. He literally used the same fucking chorus from No Future in another band he manages. The Kansas Krew just likes to bury their heads in the sand.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Every album released back then sold better than they would now. 

Fine.

Hey, I'll even bet that if you added up the number of plays on the various streaming mediums between the two albums starting on the release date of the latter, the former would still take it.

Or ... tell you what, you set guidelines that need to be followed and I'll use your terms of success to show the same results.