Would you go see Blink 182 live?

High Value Man

Poll  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go see Blink 182 live?

• Yes
    • No

Voted no, coming from a guy who was super hyped during the BTD release era. Back then, even with the absence of Tom and addition of Matt the band still seemed like “blink” to me. Mainly because to me as long as the music and chemistry were genuine and exciting, then it would still be blink (huge Tom fan also tbf). The big problem is that the longer this band goes on, the less and less it feels like blink to me. I’ll admit, when I found out Feldmann had a heavy hand in the writing and recording of CA, I was letdown. Listening to it now all I can think about is “I wonder if mark or Matt came up with that part?” “Nah it was probably feldy”. The problem is FELDMAN IS AN ANNOYING FUCKFACE and isn’t a member of the band, so this pisses me off. They hired this douchebag to write their album for them so unfortunately CA has a corporate put it together quick and shit it out to the masses feel to it. Almost like Walmart wrote the damn thing ffs. The other big problem with the band currently is Matt seemingly has zero chemistry in the band and even less influence on the music. I really really wanted to like CA and this iteration of the band. I tried, but for the most part it just feels forced.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Time taken was not the problem. Shitty producer/song writer for hire was.

Feldmann actually doesn't know what a good distorted guitar sounds like. First major issue right out of the gait, the list goes on. He literally used the same fucking chorus from No Future in another band he manages. The Kansas Krew just likes to bury their heads in the sand.

Hm... yo know what? Honestly speaking, I do think he knows perfectly well how a distorted guitar sounds. I think he's able to do other type of production. The thing here is that he chooses to do this other kind of production, which nowadays suits perfectly well for what the industry expects from this kind of genres and artists. He's sold for that, and he's making a hell of a living out off this.

But I mean, as much as I think the guy is irritating as fuck, I also think he's a very intelligent man and talented producer, otherwise, he wouldn't be able to do this. My only problem with him, musically speaking, is that I hate the way he produced blink's last album, and similar bands.

The songwriting is another topic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Time taken was not the problem. Shitty producer/song writer for hire was.

Feldmann actually doesn't know what a good distorted guitar sounds like. First major issue right out of the gait, the list goes on. He literally used the same fucking chorus from No Future in another band he manages. The Kansas Krew just likes to bury their heads in the sand.

Feldy is a damn fine producer, just because they went one route with the "comeback" album doesn't mean they do the same on the next one. 

My guess is that they chose to do that sound because the first album without Tom couldn't sound like Alkaline Trio (as they said the songs sounded like before John came in). They did that "back to the roots" sound with a new singer / co-writer which was successful, now they are free to do what they want. John can do the more "raw" sound blink had on Neighborhoods/untitled if they want to do that, just listen to the Future Hearts album by All Time Low

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Since88 said:

Feldy is a damn fine producer, just because they went one route with the "comeback" album doesn't mean they do the same on the next one. 

My guess is that they chose to do that sound because the first album without Tom couldn't sound like Alkaline Trio (as they said the songs sounded like before John came in). They did that "back to the roots" sound with a new singer / co-writer which was successful, now they are free to do what they want. John can do the more "raw" sound blink had on Neighborhoods/untitled if they want to do that, just listen to the Future Hearts album by All Time Low

Yeah, it's really not that complicated. Makes a lot of sense the way they approached it actually

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Yeah, it's really not that complicated. Makes a lot of sense the way they approached it actually

And also, John is a producer, his job is to get the artists in order and get the work done. With Mark's writers block it's pretty smart of him to do the 'first thought' thing is a smart way for him to get Mark to snap out of it. Now he has - and very much thanks to John and his way of work. 

I get that some hardcores doesn't like the album, and why they don't like the album, but it all makes sense if you think about it. John got a different task in front of him when he got hired to produce the remains of a high prolific rock band with a songwriter with bad self-esteem and writers block and that just lost their main songwriter, frontman and lead vocalist. All of this with a new co writer/vocalist that wrote songs that sounded like his main band.  Not an easy task at all, but he got it done - in more ways than one.

• Like 1

Never understood why Mark was insecure about his songs. His stuff since smiley face all the way down to Neighborhoods is downright superb. And God does that fucker know how to write a song about Tom. He's probably that experienced writing songs about Tom that he could shit out a great tune like San Diego in 2 minutes. +44 is brilliant. His stuff on Neighborhoods is brilliant, although MH.20382842303 is a bit bland. Lyrically it's fine apart from that helicopter line. Kaleidoscope, Heart's All Gone, Fighting the Gravity all are superb songs.

Seriously no clue why he hates his own stuff. He's better than Tom as a songwriter. Tom just has better ideas that's all. But as a whole, Mark can write way better songs than Tom. And some songs on California, his great lyrics show as well. 6/8 is great too IMO.

Sometimes a fast approach works. It worked brilliant for Bored to Death. I've said it before. Feldman is a damn fine producer for what he does. At least 3-4 songs, I would've been fine with him being full on. But the other songs, he should've just let them take a bit more time.

40 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Never understood why Mark was insecure about his songs. His stuff since smiley face all the way down to Neighborhoods is downright superb. And God does that fucker know how to write a song about Tom. He's probably that experienced writing songs about Tom that he could shit out a great tune like San Diego in 2 minutes. +44 is brilliant. His stuff on Neighborhoods is brilliant, although MH.20382842303 is a bit bland. Lyrically it's fine apart from that helicopter line. Kaleidoscope, Heart's All Gone, Fighting the Gravity all are superb songs.

Seriously no clue why he hates his own stuff. He's better than Tom as a songwriter. Tom just has better ideas that's all. But as a whole, Mark can write way better songs than Tom. And some songs on California, his great lyrics show as well. 6/8 is great too IMO.

Sometimes a fast approach works. It worked brilliant for Bored to Death. I've said it before. Feldman is a damn fine producer for what he does. At least 3-4 songs, I would've been fine with him being full on. But the other songs, he should've just let them take a bit more time.

No It Isn't still gets me!  Such an epic song.

I think Tom is a better song writer, Mark lyricist 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

If Future Hearts is a raw sounding album then blink are as raw as the Dead Kennedys. But then the Dead Kennedys are as raw as GG Aillin. That would make GG Aillin some screamo or death metal kinda shit.

Never said it was raw, I said more raw similar to Neighborhoods/Untitled, this is compared to California. 

Is Future Hearts rougher around the edges than California? - Yes

is my point valid? - Yes.

9 hours ago, Since88 said:

John can do the more "raw" sound blink had on Neighborhoods/untitled

If there's one album he's produced that I think is closer to them kinda albums by blink, it's the one from the Used from year 2002 whatever year it was. Songs like Kids in the Dark aren't anywhere close to the songs like Easy Target and Kaleidoscope when it comes to being roughness or being raw. Those two songs are pretty rough. I feel Future Hearts is just as overproduced as California and all the other pop punk albums he's done in recent years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

If there's one album he's produced that I think is closer to them kinda albums by blink, it's the one from the Used from year 2002 whatever year it was. Songs like Kids in the Dark aren't anywhere close to the songs like Easy Target and Kaleidoscope when it comes to being roughness or being raw. Those two songs are pretty rough. I feel Future Hearts is just as overproduced as California and all the other pop punk albums he's done in recent years.

Actually, I like one of Feldmann's productions -always knowing the context and purposes-, and I think that album feels great for what it is. It's 'Destination Unknown' by Mest. Better sound than recent Feldy's productions. Still a shit ton of compression and what not, but feels more 'natural'.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Since88 said:

This makes no sense. You don't refute a word of what I said.

The idea that they needed to bring in another songwriter to keep it from sounding like AK3 is ridiculous.

17 hours ago, Since88 said:

Feldy is a damn fine producer

So, I have an issue with this.

The sound quality of California is okay but the arrangements are stale and repetitive, the riffs are repetitive and boring, lyrically it's hit or miss and the back up vocals are a joke. A producer is there to produce, not to write songs. Their job is to find the artist/song's weaknesses and eliminate them, not take over the process. A good producer will tell when a part doesn't work or can be improved or when something is clunky lyrically. They don't write the songs, they leave that to the band, even if something needs to be rewritten or changed. Now, whether or not thats the role he HAD to taken on because Blink was unable to step in to the writing role themselves is another subject to argue about but as far as California goes, sure it sounds decent but as far as how it was produced, that's NOT an example of how it should be done.