Would you go see Blink 182 live?

High Value Man

Poll  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go see Blink 182 live?

• Yes
    • No

I watched the 2011 Vegas show with Tom last night and the 2018 Final Four show with Skiba right after... 

Yeah, Tom has a few funny moments (most are predictable lyric changes, there wasn’t much banter) and it was neat to hear somewhat different guitar parts here and there but it was pretty sloppy. I thought the band sounded tighter with Skiba. (He actually moved around a bunch at this show and seemed to really be enjoying himself and the crowd.) 

Really the only thing I missed in the 2018 show was an extended Trav drum solo and maybe a few Neighborhoods songs. I forgot that they used to give him way more time to shine, totally should let him do that again! 

Crowd looked dead for both shows so that was moot. (I still think this is rarely valid to gauge via YouTube)

7 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I watched the 2011 Vegas show with Tom last night and the 2018 Final Four show with Skiba right after... 

Yeah, Tom has a few funny moments (most are predictable lyric changes, there wasn’t much banter) and it was neat to hear somewhat different guitar parts here and there but it was pretty sloppy. I thought the band sounded tighter with Skiba. (He actually moved around a bunch at this show and seemed to really be enjoying himself and the crowd.) 

Really the only thing I missed in the 2018 show was an extended Trav drum solo and maybe a few Neighborhoods songs. I forgot that they used to give him way more time to shine, totally should let him do that again! 

Crowd looked dead for both shows so that was moot. (I still think this is rarely valid to gauge via YouTube)

CoolStoryBroStiller.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=.

• Like 1

Sorry, forgot we are supposed to be discussing Feldy’s skillz.

Who woke up real mad at Feldy & Skiba today? Who is the most mad, let it out guys! Tweet them saying they #suck and maybe they’ll quit their jobs if like 7 of us say so!!! Clueless professional and highly successful idiots!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

I think you are referring to the 2017 March Madness show?  Anyways, I was at that show and it was a shit show.  As soon as Mark started to try to sing Cynical, all my friends started laughing at couldn't believe I was still a Blink fan.  They were fans back in the day and knew about California but aren't really into songs about being "a long way back from 17" anymore (we are all mid 30s.)  The crowd was dead as fuck but that wasn't really on Blink, the show was free and also had Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, and Aerosmith - though both of those bands had a much better crowd reaction.

As far as the Vegas show, did you not pick up that the banter was cut out?  Seems pretty obvious.  

• Like 1

@BlinkFloyd yeah it probably was 2017. Cynical intro was def embarrassing, that is the main part I cringed at— but still think overall the band seemed tighter than the Tom show I watched. 

Some banter was in there so not sure why any would be edited out, so no I didn’t pick up on that if it was. We all know Tom is funnier than Skiba and talked more. 

If you’re mid 30’s it is a long way back from 17, should resonate perfectly ;) 

2 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

The best was 2009 when Travis was doing the spinning/upside down drum solos. 

Speaking of Cynical, I hate that song. This board loves it though. Cynical + Kings of the Weekend should be permanently removed from all future shows

13 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Speaking of Cynical, I hate that song. This board loves it though. Cynical + Kings of the Weekend should be permanently removed from all future shows

I want to say they did it with the Untitled tour but I honestly can't remember. I know there was a long drum solo and I think it moved but thats probably a faulty memory. Travis is a great drummer, don't get me wrong but I REALLY don't give a shit about drum solos, moving or not.

27 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

I agree with FT1 for once. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Thinking they sound tighter overall with Skiba is not an extreme stretch, Tom is all over the place live... both shows had plenty of examples of being flat and awful at times. 

Lol gotta love revisionist blink fans.  Blink has been sloppy live since day 1, if it didn't bother you then it shouldn't bother you now...unless that is you're pretending it does to somehow justify current blink again.

They've always been more about the energy and banter.  Now they have none.

• Like 2

I've never got the love for Cynical on these boards either. Not a fan of the build up since it doesn't sound like a blink build up. When the guitars kick in, it's good. I like Travis making that frustrated noise. Mark's parts are fine but Skiba's woahs sound robotic and unnatural. I like about 20-30 seconds of the song. It's a weak song and one of the weakest on California IMO.

23 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I've never got the love for Cynical on these boards either. Not a fan of the build up since it doesn't sound like a blink build up. When the guitars kick in, it's good. I like Travis making that frustrated noise. Mark's parts are fine but Skiba's woahs sound robotic and unnatural. I like about 20-30 seconds of the song. It's a weak song and one of the weakest on California IMO.

I'm actually ashamed of myself for even starting a thread about what the best blink opener is.  Dumpweed, Feeling This, Pathetic are so much better than Cynical it's not even funny.  Doesn't help blink looks like fricken Iron Maiden out there with the lights and flames during it.

I never would have thought blink fans wanted blink to play like Dream Theater (tightness) and Iron Maiden (yelling and flameshow) live this whole time.  Is this a pop punk show er?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJansaid said:

Lol gotta love revisionist blink fans.  Blink has been sloppy live since day 1, if it didn't bother you then it shouldn't bother you now...unless that is you're pretending it does to somehow justify current blink again.

They've always been more about the energy and banter.  Now they have none.

It doesn’t bother me, I was just saying IMHO they sound better live with Skiba. As in, overall quality/tightness/songs sounding how they are supposed to. 

Nothing will ever replace Tom’s humor, or anyone’s admiration of him or his style. It’s silly to even compare anyone to him as he is obviously quite unique. Just know that going in and enjoy the fact they Mark/Trav are still playing music.

So “Blink has always been sloppy since Day 1” meaning Tom can screw up, but if Skiba misses a note, or forgets a lyric= OMG HE BRINGS NOTHING TO THE BAND HE HAS NO ENERGIES! 

6 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

It doesn’t bother me, I was just saying IMHO they sound better live with Skiba. 

Are we talking fat Tom? Or Tom in general?

Because if we're talking fat doesn't care about Blink Tom sure. Although I'd still rather see dying cat Tom simply because Skiba is that uninteresting.  Otherwise you are lying to yourself if you'd honestly prefer Skiba covering Tom, then Tom playing songs he wrote..

6 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

So “Blink has always been sloppy since Day 1” meaning Tom can screw up, but if Skiba misses a note, or forgets a lyric= OMG HE BRINGS NOTHING TO THE BAND HE HAS NO ENERGIES! 

I think you're mixing things up here.  Skiba is covering Blink songs, if he is messing them up, that's pretty lazy, but if he is he better make up for it by bringing energy. Unfortunately, he doesn't.

If we're going to be nitpicking knobs

• Haha 1