Ramones Have Stupid Haircuts ... and other (musical) things that need to be said

Speedo

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever I hear a big pop song that tackles more 'real world' themes, or tries to capitalise on the suffering of others, I really struggle to take it at face value. like that "Rockabye" song or Macklemore's LGBT one or like "Another Day In Paradise" or whatever - even if they are explained to be about real problems I just struggle to believe it. I don't automatically not believe any song like that but with some artists it seems very disingenuous and it bothers me. like how many of those songs that seem to be a big message and get attention due to the subject matter, does the artist do anything with that light shining? do they donate some of the proceeds to charities that help those causes? Do they do stuff for those communities, or is it all commercial?

There are some I just like regardless and feel more genuine (Fast Car is the most obvious example I can think of) but the majority that are huge hits just seem money grabby and awkward. 

7 minutes ago, Kay said:

Whenever I hear a big pop song that tackles more 'real world' themes, or tries to capitalise on the suffering of others, I really struggle to take it at face value. like that "Rockabye" song or Macklemore's LGBT one or like "Another Day In Paradise" or whatever - even if they are explained to be about real problems I just struggle to believe it. I don't automatically not believe any song like that but with some artists it seems very disingenuous and it bothers me. like how many of those songs that seem to be a big message and get attention due to the subject matter, does the artist do anything with that light shining? do they donate some of the proceeds to charities that help those causes? Do they do stuff for those communities, or is it all commercial?

There are some I just like regardless and feel more genuine (Fast Car is the most obvious example I can think of) but the majority that are huge hits just seem money grabby and awkward. 

I totally ger that and I too doubt the intentions of some of those songs..

However, they raise awareness to the cause regardless if they're genuine or not, so i dont really care that much anymore.

• 1 month later...