What was the turning point for Blink's change in image?

Meltdown Tracker

They never really had a change in image. Their fans got older, some became jaded, pathetic, and grew out of their music. Plus with the internet, the age of Online Complaining has taken hold. 

The band is older, a bit less popular, out of the major pop mainstream, but is still doing extremely well all things considered.

This is mostly a meltdown of a small number of vocal fans having problems coping with aging and changing tastes. That is completely normal, the dwelling on it is not.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, NJansaid said:

Dammit from Dude Ranch

-Davey

hehe. i dunno... the neat thing about dude ranch was that it was bigger (especially locally) but it wasn't huge. dammit had absolutely no play on MTV; i don't think josie was ever aired. the band was completely anonymous to most people outside the scene in 1997 and 1998 (but massive to those within it).

when one of my college roomates said blink was running around naked in their new video, that was probably it.

17 hours ago, daveyjones said:

hehe. i dunno... the neat thing about dude ranch was that it was bigger (especially locally) but it wasn't huge. dammit had absolutely no play on MTV; i don't think josie was ever aired. the band was completely anonymous to most people outside the scene in 1997 and 1998 (but massive to those within it).

when one of my college roomates said blink was running around naked in their new video, that was probably it.

Weirdly I saw Dammit on MTV and that’s how I discovered them. I was cleaning my room and that, More Money/More Problems, and Time of Your Life all came on. For some reason it stuck with me. However I didn’t know what band it was until 1999 and heard Dammit in Can’t Hardly Wait. By that point WMAA was blowing up.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

sure, when i say "absolutely no play" i'm being hyperbolic. but it certainly wasn't in any sort of buzz bin or TRL rotation. you were lucky to have caught it!

I think it hit the rotations once blink got more popular. I don't remember Dude Ranch when it first came out, but I definitely remember Dammit and Josie music videos and thinking how cool they were.  This was up in the Midwest too.  It could have been before or after ATST/WMAA blew them up, can't remember.

I wanna say 9/11.. Tom went on the small hiatus to do boxcar with heavier songs and topics and destroyed mark in the process. That event destroyed toms willful stupidity and lack of giving a shit into a “ holy fuck this world is fucked up, I’m not a stupid kid anymore... all of this, my life could end today... is this all I’m going to amount to?” From that moment on there was a clear define change in image of this band.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 10:09 AM, GuitarPunk2512 said:

I wanna say 9/11.. Tom went on the small hiatus to do boxcar with heavier songs and topics and destroyed mark in the process. That event destroyed toms willful stupidity and lack of giving a shit into a “ holy fuck this world is fucked up, I’m not a stupid kid anymore... all of this, my life could end today... is this all I’m going to amount to?” From that moment on there was a clear define change in image of this band.

Hm... now that you point this out, may I remember Tom himself saying too something about his back surgery back in the day in that period?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Hm... now that you point this out, may I remember Tom himself saying too something about his back surgery back in the day in that period?

Yeah he had surgery, his gran died - whole host of contributing factors to BCR. 

4 hours ago, Alan Rickman said:

I can't fathom anyone not liking untitled. Such a great sound, plus all the memories it sparks. They had some good songs prior to that album but they don't hold up to the greatness of untitled. 

You can't top the sound on Untitled, they just were a much cooler band before it.

It would have been the formation of Boxcar, that completely changed Blink's image, Tom going off and exploring more "serious" music and sound. It laid the foundations for the Untitled album, which in my opinion was the biggest change in image, from pop-punk to alternative. 

This set off the insecurities with Mark and ultimately led to their downfall. I love the Boxcar album and without it I can't see how Untitled exists, just wished Mark would have grew a pair of bollucks about it and Tom didn't get above himself. 

2 minutes ago, Bucko said:

It would have been the formation of Boxcar, that completely changed Blink's image, Tom going off and exploring more "serious" music and sound. It laid the foundations for the Untitled album, which in my opinion was the biggest change in image, from pop-punk to alternative. 

This set off the insecurities with Mark and ultimately led to their downfall. I love the Boxcar album and without it I can't see how Untitled exists, just wished Mark would have grew a pair of bollucks about it and Tom didn't get above himself. 

I think in this regard that the label had something to do with it all. If memory serves me right, I remember the 'saying' then was that MCA (?) offered Tom a solo deal or something like that, and that just the label was the one who didn't want the BCR songs to be blink songs, as they expected blink to remain the type of band they were.

Also, I think Mark said once that TOYPAJ was not their ideal record for that time. Like, I mean, he hinted something like if they were really trying to evolve somehow to a more mature sound, so they were kinda 'inducted' by the label to create Enema 2. That was the context to explain the joke songs on that record. Him saying that those acoustinc songs were the first thing they presented to the label when they wanted to hear what they were working on after being advised of doing an Enema 2. It's like, didn't you want the easy poo poo thing on out songs? There you go.

Anyone remembering this?

blink started having problems when making toypaj. theres an interview from mark saying that he just wanted to remake enema again, and tom wanted to go darker and heavier.

tom said box car was just so he could see what he could do on his own, but i think we all know it was so he could do it without mark getting in the way. plus i think tom definitely found his stride with songwriting and became a machine. he just wrote cool stuff, and a lot of it. mark was definitely  jealous of that. earlier in blink mark was the face, but tom  took control. we all know untitled is all tom. 

• Like 1

Just now, tom18222 said:

blink started having problems when making toypaj. theres an interview from mark saying that he just wanted to remake enema again, and tom wanted to go darker and heavier.

tom said box car was just so he could see what he could do on his own, but i think we all know it was so he could do it without mark getting in the way. plus i think tom definitely found his stride with songwriting and became a machine. he just wrote cool stuff, and a lot of it. mark was definitely  jealous of that. earlier in blink mark was the face, but tom  took control. we all know untitled is all tom. 

Interesting.

It may be cool to recover those interviews of that era, because what I remember is not matching with this, so I may be wrong, haha.