What was the turning point for Blink's change in image?

Meltdown Tracker

12 minutes ago, Bucko said:

If only Boxcar could have worn masks and Mark was still on bass. 

Didn't Green Day have loads of side projects that was the same members just slightly different genre?

They had 2, The Network and Foxboro Hot Tubs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Speaking of Green ethan, and I know their music sucks now, but I saw this picture on instagram a few days ago and it kinda made me sad because blink were never friends like that. You can't have everything I guess. 

Meh, Revolution Radio was fun and was miles better than Uno, Dos, Tre.

• Like 1

"our musical struggles define the album, and make take off your pants and jacket what it is - the permanent record of a band in transition. the album is our first steps away from the familiar wheelhouse of pop punk nihilism towards something different, and hopefully better. I love where we really started with enema of the state - its simplicity, its purity, its singularity purpose between the three of us. the album was, is, and always will be, the heart of blink-182's musical sensibilities. I love equally where the subsequent albums have taken us. take off your pants and jacket was our confused, contentious, brilliant, painful, cathartic leap into the unknown."

I'd be really curious to get his thoughts on this trajectory now that they made a concerted effort to go backwards. Not even being snarky, I think everyone can agree that was their goal on California. I think that's one part of the reason some of us weren't able to latch onto it even though we did latch onto pre-Untitled stuff. They tried to put the toothpaste back into the tube haha.

• Like 5

^ agreed. he wrote that in 2013, which really wasn’t that long before tom quit again and they hooked up with feldy. i really do wonder what’s driving his decisions at this point ($$$?). i’ve said this before but in interviews he seems more guarded and less honest. i think he’s a little broken up still

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

^ agreed. he wrote that in 2013, which really wasn’t that long before tom quit again and they hooked up with feldy. i really do wonder what’s driving his decisions at this point ($$$?). i’ve said this before but in interviews he seems more guarded and less honest. i think he’s a little broken up still

Sounds like the start of some decent fan fic. See if you can take it a bit further. You're one of my most promising students, I look forward to seeing the end result.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Whales said:

A reset maybe? Prove to himself he can get back to the things that are Blink-182 (to him at least) and start fresh?

Yep, a clean reset. Has made a deliberate effort not to do so much media because he spent years and years and years doing interviews, hyping shit, hyping blink, and never delivering anything.

Clearly they're just trying to live in the moment and be a productive band after a decade of stagnancy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Yep, a clean reset. Has made a deliberate effort not to do so much media because he spent years and years and years doing interviews, hyping shit, hyping blink, and never delivering anything.

Clearly they're just trying to live in the moment and be a productive band after a decade of stagnancy.

Who told you this? What's your source? Looks like some fan fiction to me ?

I'd agree and it makes sense. I've dragged the band plenty, but I don't really have anything against Mark. I don't like most of his choices for this era, but he's a guy whose identity was once found in a band that fell apart and never really found its way back to where it started, in a sense. I think he's trying to move the band on in his own way because he loves Blink-182 and Tom left it for dead.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Whales said:

Who told you this? What's your source? Looks like some fan fiction to me ?

For a good piece of fan fic you have to include a greed conspiracy, a broken Mark, a vengeful Mark, a writer's block Mark, an attention whoring Mark, a controlling Feldy, or some question about whether Skiba is actually in the band.

I would have needed to rephrase: "Clearly they're just trying to live in the moment and be a productive band after a decade of stagnancy."

Into something more like this: "Clearly, after a decade of making no money, Mark is trying to cash out while he still can. He knows that he cannot write good music without Tom, so he hired a writer to ensure financial success, not to mention another foray into the pop culture spotlight, which we know Mark craves unlike anything else."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Clearly, after a decade of making no money, Mark is trying to cash out while he still can. He knows that he cannot write good music without Tom, so he hired a writer to ensure financial success, not to mention another foray into the pop culture spotlight, which we know Mark craves unlike anything else.

- Ghent, December 19, 2018

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Sounds like the start of some decent fan fic. See if you can take it a bit further. You're one of my most promising students, I look forward to seeing the end result.

believe me if it were my fan fiction blink would be making more progressive music, tom would be all in, and they’d be filling arenas

46 minutes ago, Ghent said:

For a good piece of fan fic you have to include a greed conspiracy, a broken Mark, a vengeful Mark, a writer's block Mark, an attention whoring Mark, a controlling Feldy, or some question about whether Skiba is actually in the band.

I would have needed to rephrase: "Clearly they're just trying to live in the moment and be a productive band after a decade of stagnancy."

Into something more like this: "Clearly, after a decade of making no money, Mark is trying to cash out while he still can. He knows that he cannot write good music without Tom, so he hired a writer to ensure financial success, not to mention another foray into the pop culture spotlight, which we know Mark craves unlike anything else."

Don't forget about why Feldman likes to chill out with younger dudes in hot tubs!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, boxelder said:

believe me if it were my fan fiction blink would be making more progressive music, tom would be all in, and they’d be filling arenas

Well they fill arenas without Tom, playing normal pop punk music. Thought you guys wanted them playing in small clubs, since I hear that venue size is not indicative of artistic quality.

2 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Here is my fan fiction:

Blink-182 make good music these days, it's not fake at all and it's amazing that they are still active with Skiba. 

Now that is more of a biographical piece. Good work though.

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

Takes some pretty "special" reasoning to think that Mark is making blink decision because he needs money and is emotionally broken inside lol

It's not really a stretch to say that Mark likes being relevant and in the spotlight, and will sell out his beliefs to earn more money. All you have to do is look at his quotes over the years and how many times he's contradicted himself.