tips on screaming/growling

Guest iameric

Guest iameric

Warming up and proper breathing are two major components of good screaming. By warming up, you are not only preparing your voice/improving your preformance, but it also pumps you up, lets you get the feel of it (especially how your voice sounds in the room where you're singing (a hollow sounding room, an absorbant one)) and it can also help a whole lot with stage fright. If you're already in the stage area for half an hour, it's not going to be quite as scary as if you just got there a second ago.

Warming up--

This is very imporant, especially for the overall tone and quality of your voice. Your throat is a muscle, and if it is overworked, it can injure or get sore just like any other muscle.

Often the hardest part about warming up is finding a place to do it! It helps if you warm up a little bit all day. Buzz around, hum. Just anything that will keep you going. Good places to warm up are in cars, a room in the building or place you're singing at (IF you can find one) OR if bands are already playing, some people just warmup in the crowd. People probably wont notice if it's loud.

When first starting your warmup, just make easy hums, nothing too hard. Move on to making EEEE AHH and OOO sounds, buzzing sounds, and then start to focus on your tone and quality/pitch.

Do a few scales, (it's great if you have a piano/keyboard or guitar to help you match the pitch with, but alone will do as well) If you pull a note that is off key, start from the beginning and go up again, slowly. Don't speed up until you have the scale down pat. If there is a note you just can't get, don't over stress. You can try more or less slurring up to reach the note. It's a gradual thing. THEN start over.

Warming up can take anywheres from 10-15 minutes to over an hour. Much of it depends on how much you're singing.

Breathing--

This is one of the most important things of singing, and so many never realize it. With singing, you have to breathe efficiently (obviously) otherwise, you'll run out of air. uhoh.gif

The most effective breathing method is sticking your gut out and controlling your air with your stomach (diaphragm). When you breathe in, your stomach goes OUT (not just your chest). Your abdomen is much more powerful than just your throat/lungs, and it will give you a steady stream of air, which will help keep your tone even and improve your dynamics. If you're doing this right, it should feel like the sound is coming from your chest, and coming through your throat. You shouldn't feel pain afterwards. The entire idea of proper breathing, is being efficient with your air. You will realize how little air it takes to make a good sound.

A good way to practise this (especially when you're first starting off) is laying on your back and breathing. When you breathe in, watch your stomach go up. When you breathe out, it should go down.

Starting off--

Most people start off whisper-screaming. You make the rough whispery sounds with your voice, but without the volume. You can practise this laying down so you can focus on proper breathing at the same time.

Next, bringing up the volume, with growling or screaming. Try doing long notes. Start off soft, then get louder, then get soft again. Do a slow scale of this. Take your time. Try laying down for this too, as you still must get used to the breathing technique. Do this until you're feeling quite comfortable.

From what I've heard if you're growling correctly, it should feel like you're on the verge of a burp.

If you think you have anything to add to this, post it, and I'll add it here.

(taken from taborama)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Screaming is not good for your voice, and is something that you need to be careful doing. When we first started I used to lose my voice, but after awhile as I become more experienced, and now I almost never do. Your voice is like a muscle and will get stronger over time. Try to practice in a place where no one is around, and experiment with trying to scream and sound good without hurting your voice too much. Also, if you lose your voice one day, you should rest it before you use it again. Also, don't smoke. I never took lessons, but taking them would definitely be helpful. And if all else fails, just don't scream! You're singing voice will thank you.

- Shane Told, Silverstein

• 1 year later...
Guest iameric

i used to be able to scream like jesse in "okay i believe you" (brand new)

at the part, "this is the RISE AND THE FALLLL"

that high pitched girl scream, could do it all the time

now...gone

• 3 months later...

i still cannot for the life of me scream. lol

i tried, but it just isn't happening, i just sound like a rapist yeti.

i think one of my favourite screams i've heard is on sound effects and over dramatics by the used.

i understand how to breathe, i can sing like a trooper. i just dont get where the actual noise is made,

to get the scratchy effect of the voice what muscle do i have to contract, like where do you feel the scream?

any help'd be appreciated x

• 3 months later...
Guest iameric

he has more of a yell, which i really like though

i like mr. green's a lot as well

as for doing it, i don't know how 'correct' it is but like when you clear your throat, how you use your throat to get that rumble kinda? you can build from there.

or just yell hard like nolan or lacey

• 4 weeks later...

yeah

nolan and lacey have it sweet

with just straight shouting

im into some hardcore music but nothing thats pure screaming. but i am such a big fan of shouting like nolan and lacey, fred, vinnie from iata, ect. i think it just puts soooo much emotion in the words, but at the same time its singing and u can make out all the lyrics