Solos

tre_drummer13

Okay, I'm the drummer for my band, but i also have to write the lead part for the guitarist becuase he wont do it and most likely after 6 years doesnt know how, holy shit can he bend a string though :-? .

Basically i wanna know how you guys write your solos?

Do you just play some random notes till it sounds how you want it?

OR

Do you come up with a tune in your head that you want and try to transcribe it to guitar?

n00bish i know, help me though, i dont like doing it, im forced to. We wanna replace him, but he is one of our really good friends and theres no-one else into the music that influences us close to us..

Guest ddv13devo

Personally, I do a little bit of both.

Sometimes, I'll write something, and not care to meticulously plan out the solo, so I'll just improv it when recording. Just so long as you know your fretboard well enough, you can map the parts of solos around the major chords of the progression. That is to say, if your progression is basic C - F - G, and you're playing in a C Major scale, you'll want to start a riff on the 8th fret of the A string when the progression turns to F to give a sense of cohesiveness. With enough practice, improv is a relatively easy thing to do.

Otherwise, I'll do something I like to call "hypnopaedic writing". In other words, I'll instantaneously develop a tune through my subconscious (I can't call it "thinking", because technically, I'm not) and try to transcribe it to the key I'm playing in. Once I've covered all the major sections of the solo, I'll work in transitions to make everything flow smoothly. Essentially, if you want a more organized, efficient solo, this is a good method. Plus, it doesn't require a lot of thinking. :P

Hope that helps.

i find it helps to have a tape recorder or some sort of audio of the part that you need to put a solo to, then play it and start singing or humming notes like you would a solo, when you've got something you like, then grab the guitar and figure it out, that way you dont sacrifice creativity for your ability to play and write with a guitar in hand.

i find it helps to have a tape recorder or some sort of audio of the part that you need to put a solo to' date=' then play it and start singing or humming notes like you would a solo, when you've got something you like, then grab the guitar and figure it out, that way you dont sacrifice creativity for your ability to play and write with a guitar in hand.[/quote']

Yeah, i usually listen to the drum track back and think of something in my head, but sometimes i find it really hard to transcribe it and often forget it soon after but then it will sorta come back and ill build on it..

I usually:

- Make sure I know what chords or notes im solo'ing over and work out the scales and then work on cool riffs within the scales.

- Image what the backing music sounds like and think of a cool sounding solo in my head and then work it out on guitar.

Yo, I found these articles on ultimate-guitar and I think they are pretty useful for anyone whose interested in getting some tips on being a better songwriter / guitarist..

Songwriting
/>http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/songwriting_part_1.html

Being a better guitarist (Three Parts)
/>http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/why_arent_you_a_better_guitarist_part_1.html

/>http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/why_arent_you_a_better_guitarist_part_2.html

/>http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/why_arent_you_a_better_guitarist_part_3.html

They are pretty old and you may have seen them but they are still great tips for anyone who hasnt or looking to know more

Okay' date=' I'm the drummer for my band, but i also have to write the lead part for the guitarist becuase he wont do it and most likely after 6 years doesnt know how, holy shit can he bend a string though :-? .

Basically i wanna know how you guys write your solos?

Do you just play some random notes till it sounds how you want it?

OR

Do you come up with a tune in your head that you want and try to transcribe it to guitar?

n00bish i know, help me though, i dont like doing it, im forced to. We wanna replace him, but he is one of our really good friends and theres no-one else into the music that influences us close to us..[/quote']

He's got a wah-wah now.

Ah, by the way, I wrote some solos for our band, its easy, they are basically all one string things with a bunch of tremolo picking, and one is just a chord progression past 12th....

• 3 weeks later...
does anyone else find it funny that a drummer has to write the elad guitar parts for a guitarist whos been playaing for 6 years?

lol

:lol: Yes.

Especially when Royalgfx is the guitarist. :lol::lol:

royals not the lead..

i also find it funny that i have to do it, but also fustrating that someone whos been playing for 6 years cant write a fucking solo or any lead part.

• 3 weeks later...

i took music improv a couple semesters ago. let me tell you, that class helped my soloing soooo fucking much. like it helped me get to a point, where its like you just solo and stay in key.

practice ear training, practice scales, practice chords.

but especially ear training. i find when i'm writing solos i like to have someone play the chords they're gonna be playing and then i just improvise until i find something that i like. and work it all into one flowing solo.

• 3 months later...
Guest Philly

I'll tell you what I do. In the chord progression's I play I take the root note of the chord and find that note everywhere on the fret board. Say i'm playing a C chord, you'll find it on the 8th fret on the low E, 3rd fret on a, 10th on D, ETC. And I take all the other notes from my solo and find out what key it's in. Then i'll play a little something in the major scale of that key, and gradually go into a blues scale or a penatonic scale. It's all about finding the right notes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...