What kind of microphone?

Dean

Is best for simple acoustic guitar and vocal recordings? I've actually got some dollars in the bank now, so I can think about buying a mic. Just want to record acoustic guitar, and then vocals over the top. What mic would be best for this kind of stuff. Not something too pricey, but not a $20 piece of shit either. Thanks for any help guys.

Yeah, did some reading up on the shure 57, and they're supposed to be great for vocals and acoustic instruments. I think I'll invest in one of those, it's not too expensive. Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah its cool. I've had a lot of experience with eBay, it's pretty easy to tell who's shitting you and who's not.

I think I may go for that deal. Although I don't know whether I really need 2... The same seller has a sm57 and sm58 package, for basically the same price. Just a few bucks more. Think I would be better off with that? What does the 58 do better than the 57?

EDIT: Just by looking on the box, I can see the difference. the 57 says 'Legendary Instrument Microphone', whereas the 58 says 'Legendary Vocal Microphone'.

Therefore, I think it'd be a good idea, in the long run, to get that set. It's $250 Australian, which is the price for one SM57 anywhere else on the net in Australia. So a mighty good deal I think. Agree?

Guest tecknorock

Well, awhile back, I got an Audix I-5.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audix-I5-Instrument-Microphone?sku=270644

I found out that it does no good for recording vocals, but it does record instruments (acoustic guitars and drums) pretty well and, although its kind of highly priced, it still works pretty well as far as actually picking up most of your sound.

Just bought the Shure SM57 and SM58 pack. I'm quite happy with the price, considering it cost me what it would cost to buy just a SM57 by itself at any store here in Australia. Looking forward to getting them.

Thanks for your help guys.

• 2 weeks later...

They arrived a couple of days ago, gave them a good test out earlier tonight. Amazing mics. I'm going to try and record a couple of songs acoustic-like over the weekend. Probably just some covers. If they're any good, I'll post them up.

• 1 month later...
Guest iamjared

my sister just got an SM81, and if you're going for more of a classical guitar kind of sound, it's great.

otherwise i'd say go with the 57.

Did you read the above posts? He said he'd already bought some. Fuck.