The NHL thread

Guest Mard

Blowing a game 6 at home in 2013 and now a game 7. I'm not a die hard fan as I was years ago but I still love the Bruins and it's hard to watch them get crushed at home. But I saw it coming, they played well in the first period and then deflated. The whole Cup final was eerily similar to 2011, just a role reversal in the teams.

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

Blowing a game 6 at home in 2013 and now a game 7. I'm not a die hard fan as I was years ago but I still love the Bruins and it's hard to watch them get crushed at home. But I saw it coming, they played well in the first period and then deflated. The whole Cup final was eerily similar to 2011, just a role reversal in the teams.

Ya it was pretty similar to the Vancouver final. Losing at home in game 7, running into a crazy hot goalie. 

The pic of Marchand crying is going viral in Vancouver and I love it so much

• Haha 1

For real though, it sucks losing when your that close. Reading that thread, I can only imagine what this city (Vancouver) would be like if we won a cup. 

I was a fan back in the 2011 run, but im a much bigger fan now. Looking back at our run is so hard now when you look at how good a team we had. The best two players in the league in the Sedins, Burrows was amazing, Kesler was at his peak and possibly the best number 2 center in the game, one of the best goalies in the league, a solid defence and a great group of supporting players. We were the best team and it shoulda been ours but sadly it didnt work out that way. Flash forward to now and we have 4 players worth keeping and litterally everyone else on the whole team is replaceable and our GM is an idiot and the owner is too involved. 

I hope those Blues fans enjoy it because if 2011 taught me anything, its that things change real fast in this league

21 hours ago, knapton said:

For real though, it sucks losing when your that close. Reading that thread, I can only imagine what this city (Vancouver) would be like if we won a cup. 

I was a fan back in the 2011 run, but im a much bigger fan now. Looking back at our run is so hard now when you look at how good a team we had. The best two players in the league in the Sedins, Burrows was amazing, Kesler was at his peak and possibly the best number 2 center in the game, one of the best goalies in the league, a solid defence and a great group of supporting players. We were the best team and it shoulda been ours but sadly it didnt work out that way. Flash forward to now and we have 4 players worth keeping and litterally everyone else on the whole team is replaceable and our GM is an idiot and the owner is too involved. 

I hope those Blues fans enjoy it because if 2011 taught me anything, its that things change real fast in this league

We lost the Cup because of injuries for sure. Hamhuis was the final straw, but Raymond (25 goal scorer), Malhotra losing an eye basically, Salo’s balls, Kesler’s torn groin requiring surgery, Ehrhoff’s shoulder, Samuelsson, Henrik Sedin, Edler with a broken thumb, etc. are the reasons Vancouver lost in 2011.

Aquilini is an idiot for firing Gillis (our best GM ever) and refusing to rebuild in 2013.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MSandt said:

Aaand then losing to the worst sports team of the 21st century in your opener..

Yeah our bottom 6 is trash; we went with the same bottom 6 as last season. Really wish Baertschi and Gaudette were on our 3rd line; hell even Goldobin is an upgrade. Sutter, Schaller, and Eriksson are trash. Quinn Hughes looked good though. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

This post hasn't aged particularly well for either team...

I still think the Canucks are a bubble team this year. Hughes looks legit. 

I still kinda expect the Oilers to come back down to earth at some point; six of their seven wins are against teams that are below the playoff line at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 2:56 AM, MSandt said:

I still kinda expect the Oilers to come back down to earth at some point; six of their seven wins are against teams that are below the playoff line at the moment.

They're still #1 in the Pacific with a 3 point lead and a game in hand. While I think they regress a fair amount, they look like a playoff team.  I think you're underestimating the impact that Tippett and his system, along with Mike Smith who Tippett is familiar with. Couple that with two of the best forwards in the world and you have a team that can do some serious damage. They certainly need to improve their depth though, aside from McDavid, Drai, and Neal, they don't really have any top 6 forwards and their bottom 6 is pretty trash as well. 

On 11/11/2019 at 11:26 PM, Clar-ke has herpes said:

They're still #1 in the Pacific with a 3 point lead and a game in hand. While I think they regress a fair amount, they look like a playoff team.  I think you're underestimating the impact that Tippett and his system, along with Mike Smith who Tippett is familiar with. Couple that with two of the best forwards in the world and you have a team that can do some serious damage. They certainly need to improve their depth though, aside from McDavid, Drai, and Neal, they don't really have any top 6 forwards and their bottom 6 is pretty trash as well. 

They're still at the top because of the top line's insane point production. They obviously won't be able to maintain that 2ppg pace for the rest of the season, and there won't be secondary scoring to make up for it when it comes down. 

Of course they might make it to the playoffs, but they're still pretty fucking far from being the real deal.

• 2 months later...

The Sedins get their numbers retired Wednesday night in Vancouver. They dedicated a whole week (3 games) as Sedin week and are bringing in a bunch of former players and there's news story galore about them and it's just such a great time right now. Those two truly were magical

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 12:09 PM, MSandt said:

They're still at the top because of the top line's insane point production. They obviously won't be able to maintain that 2ppg pace for the rest of the season, and there won't be secondary scoring to make up for it when it comes down. 

Of course they might make it to the playoffs, but they're still pretty fucking far from being the real deal.

....lol.The craziest part of using hindsight is that Draisatl pretty much maintained his production the whole season, 110 points in 59 games is fucking insane. Guy is already a prime Malkin and has room to grow. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, Tom Bot said:

....lol.The craziest part of using hindsight is that Draisatl pretty much maintained his production the whole season, 110 points in 59 games is fucking insane. Guy is already a prime Malkin and has room to grow. 

How do you catch your games?