The NHL thread

Guest Mard

The thought of the Canucks acquiring either Weber or Parise has me drooling.  If we get either one by the deadline, I think we take the West/Presidents trophy.  I think Weber has a chance cause Nashville probably won't spend to the cap (internal budget) and Weber will want to go to a contender that maxes out the cap.  Plus he's a BC boy and said he really enjoyed playing at home for the Olympics.  Definitely a top dman in the league, total beast.  Parise has a small chance because he hasn't negotiated contracts with Lou yet, and had great chemistry with Kesler in the Olympics, and Gillis loves the American players lol.

The thought of the Canucks acquiring either Weber or Parise has me drooling.  If we get either one by the deadline, I think we take the West/Presidents trophy.  I think Weber has a chance cause Nashville probably won't spend to the cap (internal budget) and Weber will want to go to a contender that maxes out the cap.  Plus he's a BC boy and said he really enjoyed playing at home for the Olympics.  Definitely a top dman in the league, total beast.  Parise has a small chance because he hasn't negotiated contracts with Lou yet, and had great chemistry with Kesler in the Olympics, and Gillis loves the American players lol.

Do you think Gillis will make moves for either of them? I can't see him giving away any of our prospects, and I really hope we hold onto Schnieds. The fact that we have a goalie that will back up Lou when he needs it, with full confidence from both the coaches as well as the players (including Lou) makes me really want them to offer Schnieds a juicy contract. Booth and Ballard are taking so much of our fucking cap space its unreal.

Do you think Gillis will make moves for either of them? I can't see him giving away any of our prospects, and I really hope we hold onto Schnieds. The fact that we have a goalie that will back up Lou when he needs it, with full confidence from both the coaches as well as the players (including Lou) makes me really want them to offer Schnieds a juicy contract. Booth and Ballard are taking so much of our fucking cap space its unreal.

As much as I love Schneids, I think we're committed to Luongo and his contract. 

Look at what Kovalchuk got at the deadline (Oduya, Cormier, Bergfors, 1st - I think).  Oduya is a depth dman, Cormier is a decent (but not great) prospect, Bergfors got waived and no one claimed him (useless), and a low 1st round pick.  I think Schneids and a 1st and maybe a decent prospect (Schroeder/Rodin) would get a deal done for Parise.  New Jersey also needs a goalie for the future (Both Brodeur and Hedberg are aging and their best days are behind them, they would love a young goalie llike Schneider).  Weber is a RFA so he's a bit more valuable, so I guess we'd have to add a bit more.  One (if not both) of these players won't be on their respected teams next season IMO.

I'd be surprised if Schneids isn't traded before the draft.

These hooligans should stick to soccer:

Three men are being sought by Philadelphia police for a brutal beating caught on videotape following Monday's NHL Winter Classic game.

The assault, which took place at 7:15 p.m. outside of Geno's Steaks at 9th Street and Passyunk Avenue, left two men injured, one of them seriously.

In a 2-minute video posted on the Philadelphia Police Department's YouTube page, an unidentified man wearing a No. 28 Claude Giroux Flyers jersey can be seen removing his coat before punching another man who was wearing a Rangers jersey. The victim, who has been identified in reports as Neal Auricchio, a New Jersey police officer and former Marine who served in Iraq, is then punched and kicked by three men while on the ground.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/05/three-sought-in-philadelphia-beating-after-hockey-game/?test=latestnews

I can;t watch I'm at work :( I hope Russia wins though.

Also, of course it's hard to say if Ovi is back but considering his career and his talent, I'd say it's more likely his longer-than-usual slump was more of a short term thing than him being a consistent ppg player

Stoked to watch the last episode of 24/7 tonight, Giroux has become one of my favourite players. 

So much going on in the hockey world right now.  World Juniors just finished, 24/7, SCF rematch this Saturday, the trade deadline coming up in February, Anaheim blowing their season and are most likely selling, etc.