The NHL thread

Guest Mard

yeah they havent been shipping many copies of it, for whatever reason. the gamestop by me only had like 5 or so copies, which they sold out of in a matter of hours. i had to drive a half hour to best buy to get it, and when i got there they didnt even have any on the shelf.

sick game though, i like the new poke checking a lot. i havent really gotten used to the defensive skill stick or stick lifting yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching the first exhibition game right now, my Nucks are playing against the Oil.

It'll be interesting to watch the first real games take place in Europe again this year.

And fuck Detroit, they are always too good  :-(

yeah, but its only the pre-season so I'm sure they're not too worried about it.

i'm going to see the Canucks vs Ducks exhibition game next Sunday, my buddy's gift to me for my bday  :-)

Guest Tommy D

two things: one, he's not the first ever goalie to be a captain. the last time a goalie was captain was in 1947-48 when bill durnan was the captain of the canadiens. since then, goalies have not been allowed (and are still not allowed), technically, to be captains.

I shouldn't have use "ever", I was just caught up in the moment there haha.  It was well deserved though, he's the whole support of our team.

that said, i think this is a dumb idea that was only created for two reasons, both of which are of questionable validity: one, naming luongo captain will somehow make him more likely to stay in vancouver after his contract is up; and two, that there are no skaters with enough leadership skills to be named captain, at least yet. 

they should've named kesler captain. i think the move shows the players that vigneault doesn't have confidence in the leadership abilities of his skaters, which is not the impression they'd have been left with had kesler (the best candidate, in my opinion) been named captain.

I agree with the 2 reasons on why they chose him as captain, but I don't think Kesler deserved it at all.  I'd take Kevin Bieksa or Willie Mitchell for captain over Kesler.

I'm glad at least that an incredibly skilled player is going to be the face of our team, even if he was already its still good recognition.

• 2 weeks later...

bump

cant believe palin is doing the dropping of the puck for the rangers-flyers game. to do this as a hockey mom and considering that she is the most popular hockey mom in america now, it seems good and fitting. but the fact that she is the vp nominee, a republican, and not to mention she will be in Philadelphia, not only a democratic city, but a city that has one of the rowdiest fans, not to mention they booed santa years ago, and that she could be booed in and right out of the building.

i dont know if philly would be the best city of choice for a hockey team for her.

even though we got a tough beginning having our first 6 games against playoff teams, it hasnt looked good for the first two games. i know the players have to adjust to each other and to the lines that theyre in along with some new acquisitions, hopefully our defense gets stronger, get into our offensive zone better, and less penalties.