What Are You Listening To Right Now Pt. 2

corey

2 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

This burn loses all credibility when you are on a Blink-182 website, a band whose hits have been featured on Kidz Bop albums. 

Nothing says "Fuck Capitalism!" like a major label release sold at every Wal-Mart, 24/7, 365 days a year!

At least Blink is honest about it.

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

Portrait of a Legend, THE definitive Sam Cooke's compilation. Do yourselves a favour:

hell fucking yes dude! portrait of a legend is so amazing... a shame he died so young, would've amazing to see where he could've gone, but what he left is still pretty rad. i always get chills at the last moments of the album... change is a landmark, then it goes back to where it all began, as though sam is coming home or something, back to "jesus gave me water". then there's the hidden final track, where he gets asked what soul is by a radio DJ. the CD edition has it ending at "sam cooke's yours, he'll never grow old," which is a really haunting way to end it. it's a great final summation on his life and career. idk if the digital version has that track, and i know the recent vinyl reissue has a longer snippet of that radio conversation, which, while interesting, doesn't give me that same haunting vibe, which i appreciated

i know i've already written a lot, but if you love sam cooke, i'd recommend live at the harlem square club, 1963. it's a damn masterpiece

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, boxelder said:

hell fucking yes dude! portrait of a legend is so amazing... a shame he died so young, would've amazing to see where he could've gone, but what he left is still pretty rad. i always get chills at the last moments of the album... change is a landmark, then it goes back to where it all began, as though sam is coming home or something, back to "jesus gave me water". then there's the hidden final track, where he gets asked what soul is by a radio DJ. the CD edition has it ending at "sam cooke's yours, he'll never grow old," which is a really haunting way to end it. it's a great final summation on his life and career. idk if the digital version has that track, and i know the recent vinyl reissue has a longer snippet of that radio conversation, which, while interesting, doesn't give me that same haunting vibe, which i appreciated

i know i've already written a lot, but if you love sam cooke, i'd recommend live at the harlem square club, 1963. it's a damn masterpiece

Glad to see Elisa's and your Sam Cooke's appreciation, mate. Nice to know there's some love here for this man. I remember perfectly well when this compilation came out. It blew my mind, and still does it today. Is one of those albums you preserve as if it was gold. Is like it has somehing really seminal. They are only a few that are able to grab you like this.

I remember too a documentary about him? Maybe? I don't know now. Anyway, that was a loss, for sure. Great talented musicians died back in that period... 50s and 60s, too young.

I don't know what he would become if he lived more. Maybe he'd follow a similar route as The Temptations. For some reason, and although they are different artists, in my mind exist some kind of connection between Sam and The Temtptations.

I have the iTunes version of the record. That hidden snippet is only 31 seconds long. So I'm guessing is the original snippet, not the longer one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

I have the iTunes version of the record. That hidden snippet is only 31 seconds long. So I'm guessing is the original snippet, not the longer one.

yup, that’s the original!

i think he would’ve continued writing more of his own material, some in the vein of change. his voice though man... every time i hear a journey song on the radio i’m reminded that a great vocalist like steve perry, among many others, were all imitating sam.

i haven't seen a documentary about him but there’s a great biography of him titled dream boogie that’s super in depth and very interesting!

• Like 1