What Are You Listening To Right Now Pt. 2

corey

5 hours ago, _Bagel said:

Strikes First it is.

if you'd like a single song that is a tour de force of the band's songwriting skills and showcases their world view rather succinctly, check out "american jesus." it was the song that got me into the band—way, way back in 1993! i prefer the andy wallace mix:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveyjones said:

if you'd like a single song that is a tour de force of the band's songwriting skills and showcases their world view rather succinctly, check out "american jesus." it was the song that got me into the band—way, way back in 1993! i prefer the andy wallace mix:

Love the alternate melodies kicking in at like 2:00, all built round a nice riff. Cheers Davey

• Like 1

This has been one of my favourite songs for the last, like, year. Not remotely a genre I'm a fan of, but the singer is one of my sisters idols and she had it on in the car and half way through the song I was like "wtf is this fucking awesome song" and she told me and it's been on basically every playlist I've listened to for the last year. the rest of the album didn't really do anything for me but for some reason this song fuckin' rocks me. no clue. It's really fun to sing along to when doing the dishes though... 

16 hours ago, daveyjones said:

Sounds like crossing Danny Vapid and the Cheats with The Manges.

• Like 1

So, only a few days into my Bad Religion pondering - got to say, I keep coming back to Recipe For Hate. 

Struck a Nerve did exactly that and I've been going through the whole album since. This stood out in particular :

Beautiful tune 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, _Bagel said:

So, only a few days into my Bad Religion pondering - got to say, I keep coming back to Recipe For Hate. 

it was my first BR album, so it's a sentimental favorite. for some fans it's divisive, because it's more experimental and strays from their core sound a bit. in fact, if i hadn't have discovered it back in 1993, i might not like it very much (see my disdain for green day's warning twenty years on).

eddie vedder of pearl jam provides backing vocals on "american jesus" and sings the second verse of "watch it die."

the problem with recipe is that both the mix and mastering are god awful. BR has remastered their four other atlantic albums, just in the last two years. and back in 2004 they remastered their (rather poorly compressed) epitaph albums from how could hell be any worse? through generatoronly recipe for hate has not been touched. and i suspect it's because the rights situation is tied up somewhere between epitaph and atlantic, preventing it (the album was initially released on epitaph in 1993 but reissued on atlantic as part of their signing in 1994). it really pissed me off. the album deserves better.

edit: holy fuck! @_Bagel it was just released remastered (lossless) this past february ?!?

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/c737do/bad-religion-recipe-for-hate-remastered

• Like 1