What Are You Listening To Right Now Pt. 2

corey

On 6/20/2020 at 10:31 PM, daveyjones said:

it was my first BR album, so it's a sentimental favorite. for some fans it's divisive, because it's more experimental and strays from their core sound a bit. in fact, if i hadn't have discovered it back in 1993, i might not like it very much (see my disdain for green day's warning twenty years on).

eddie vedder of pearl jam provides backing vocals on "american jesus" and sings the second verse of "watch it die."

the problem with recipe is that both the mix and mastering are god awful. BR has remastered their four other atlantic albums, just in the last two years. and back in 2004 they remastered their (rather poorly compressed) epitaph albums from how could hell be any worse? through generatoronly recipe for hate has not been touched. and i suspect it's because the rights situation is tied up somewhere between epitaph and atlantic, preventing it (the album was initially released on epitaph in 1993 but reissued on atlantic as part of their signing in 1994). it really pissed me off. the album deserves better.

edit: holy fuck! @_Bagel it was just released remastered (lossless) this past february ?!?

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/c737do/bad-religion-recipe-for-hate-remastered

Yeah, I’ve heard it’s a bit of an odd child amongst the BR discography. Like a strange sidestep they took as they signed/ wanting to sign  to a major. Just find so many of the songs catchy, Kerosene, American Jesus, My Poor Friend me etc. I’m a sucker for melody.

Eddie knows his bands, that’s sick. To have Vedder on a track in 1993 as well must show the mainstream direction they were maybe aiming for with this effort. Yeah, would be sad if it’s a forgotten gem because I think there’s real quality here. 

woah, they read your thoughts Davey. I’ll have a snoop - cheers for the link

1 minute ago, _Bagel said:

I’m a sucker for melody.

Eddie knows his bands, that’s sick.

woah, they read your thoughts Davey. I’ll have a snoop - cheers for the link

all BR is catchy melody. what varies is the speed and aggression.

yea eddie is a fan that's why he came to record.

i bought the remastered FLAC album yesterday and it's worth every penny.

22 hours ago, daveyjones said:

the vastly superior rendition in my eyes. the vocals, holy cow. been loving this since an ex showed it to me in high school. the whole rest of the album rites of passage is similarly melodic bliss

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

I have really been enjoying those acoustic covers from Adam from Homegrown lately revisiting old songs, those songs are so so good ❤️❤️❤️

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Appreciate you, pal!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 3:47 PM, _Bagel said:

Yo -  these Bad Religion folks do Punk Rock quite well you know. 1994... BIG year

it's hard for me to pick... stranger is such a solid effort, especially in brett's songwriting. but here's prolly two of my faves:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, daveyjones said:

it's hard for me to pick... stranger is such a solid effort, especially in brett's songwriting. but here's prolly two of my faves:

Yeah it’s a great album. Those are two standouts. I think you can really see how important Brett’s songwriting is  when you hear  No Substance/ The New America ( haven’t found loads worth listening to in those ) - then Process of Belief being a big return to form

5 hours ago, thongrider said:

No. CONTROL

that's my personal #1 for sure. IMHO it sits perfectly between suffer (which is a bit on the nose in its bubble gum pop roots) and against the grain (where the lyrics go a bit too obtuse and poetic for my taste).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

that's my personal #1 for sure. IMHO it sits perfectly between suffer (which is a bit on the nose in its bubble gum pop roots) and against the grain (where the lyrics go a bit too obtuse and poetic for my taste).

I think RFH would be my favorite if all the songs were like "Don't Pray On Me". I do like Against the Grain a lot, but it's a little varying in quality and No Control is just great straight through.

• Like 1