What Are You Listening To Right Now Pt. 2

corey

Just now, daveyjones said:

i love all that ramones / screeching weasel -based shit.

Me too but I just couldn't ever get into them ... the gimmick is too much ... same reason I can't get into Isotopes or whatever that egg band is ... McCrakin?

1 minute ago, daveyjones said:

they're low-rent teenage bottlerocket, but i still find them charming when i'm in the mood. they're like the aquabats of ramonescore.

My friend is a huge fan, I make fun of him for it. They're a little too poppy for me, if I'm gonna go down that road I'd prefer The Scutches ... same bubblegum without the gimmicky flavor. The problem is its hard to get a little diversity from their albums, its all the same theme. I guess the same could be said for any pop punk band it's a little more in your face.

I used to know what band they were before they became masked intruder and for the life of me I can't remember it. I remember looking that band up and thinking it was pretty good.

You ever hear of The Sheckies, Davey?

18 minutes ago, Speedo said:

same bubblegum without the gimmicky flavor.

You ever hear of The Sheckies, Davey?

that's what i mean by the aquabats of ramonescore. the costumes, the gimmick. i wouldn't pay to see them live, but i stream them from time to time. there are like two or three songs per MI release that i really like.

i think i remember the sheckies go on a diet ? edit: bandcamp confirmed, yes. yes i do.

you would probably like spazboy, @Speedo. san diego scene during blink's rise. played SOMA all the time:

i forget. have we ever discussed carter peace mission? same scene/era, SOMA regulars in the mid-nineties:

17 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

that's what i mean by the aquabats of ramonescore. the costumes, the gimmick. i wouldn't pay to see them live, but i stream them from time to time. there are like two or three songs per MI release that i really like.

i think i remember the sheckies go on a diet ? edit: bandcamp confirmed, yes. yes i do.

you would probably like spazboy, @Speedo. san diego scene during blink's rise. played SOMA all the time:

i forget. have we ever discussed carter peace mission? same scene/era, SOMA regulars in the mid-nineties:

I was in The Sheckies for a month or so, lol

They lost their bassist in 2008 or so and I hit up Andy via MySpace, offered to play bass. Traded numbers, he sent me songs to learn, I sent back my takes and was given the roll. I was set to move up to New Jersey and join them but my grandfather got sick and I had to exit. I believe Vincent from Scutches took my place, if I recall correctly. 

I don't think I’ve ever even heard of Carter Peace Mission but I'll give them a go tomorrow during work.

I think I remember the name Spazboy but I couldn't tell you anything more about them, definitely give it a listen though.

Early to mid-90's in San Diego had a ton of music I love and I see a lot of the same sort thriving scene in the pop punk of the midwest/east coast today.

53 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

I gotta confess, I don’t know much Bad Religion.

??????????????? they're the most important and influential punk band of the last 40 years. the entire genre from the mid-80s to now would basically not exist without them. they are the "tribal elders" of punk, skate punk, pop punk... you name it.

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

??????????????? they're the most important and influential punk band of the last 40 years. the entire genre from the mid-80s to now would basically not exist without them. they are the "tribal elders" of punk, skate punk, pop punk... you name it.

Let's not get carried away now ... They're great but they're no Ramones.

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i know you're just trolling speedo... BR exceeds them in songwriting talent, technical prowse, discography, and influence.

You're out of your damn mind and I'll fucking fight you, old man.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Bad Religion (even bought a brown Fender Precision, signing to Atlantic was a really bad decision but now they're back on Epitaph, hey.) and they are certainly icons and influencers in their own right and right up there with the best of them but Joey edges out Graffin, Johnny edges out Brett and Dee Dee beats out Jay. I'd bet money that Bad Religion would agree ... maybe not on musicianship, sure but in terms of style and influence, fucking definitely. 

Also, needs to be said, Sex Pistols are trash and Johnny Rotten is a fink.