pedal

DazBoot

OMG. You sound like, ZOMG E4Y1 HAS PEDAL I WANT 1 T00!

I mean, do you miss something when you play guitar?

Reverb, Delay, Distortion, Overdrive, a Pedal Tuner, Chorus, etc etc etc.

Why??? There was no fucking need for that. He/She wrote calm and polite and there was nothing like the stuff you're writing. That's just stupid and immature...

OMG. You sound like, ZOMG E4Y1 HAS PEDAL I WANT 1 T00!

I mean, do you miss something when you play guitar?

Reverb, Delay, Distortion, Overdrive, a Pedal Tuner, Chorus, etc etc etc.

Why??? There was no fucking need for that. He/She wrote calm and polite and there was nothing like the stuff you're writing. That's just stupid and immature...

well i dont really know anything about pedals but i wanna get one. so what kinda should i get for a first pedal?  :|

I really don't want to get into an argument, but he's saying he doesn't know anything about pedals and still want to get one.

I mean, if I want to get a specific sound I get a pedal that gives me the sound.

And after that I replied without joking.

i got a fender fat strat and a kustom solo 16R..probably gettin a new amp in a month or so. hopin to get a marshall pretty quick

Sounds like you might not need a distortion pedal.

What kind of sound do you want? I mean, be more specific.

We can't recommend you the pedal you're looking for if we don't know what you're looking for ;)

this is a complete idiots guide to a pedal board so sorry if it sounds at all patronising. anyway, a typical pedal board consists of a wah pedal (think of the song voodoo child), a distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal (im sure you'll know what these are), a delay pedal (pretty self explanitory), a chorus pedal (think of ghost of you by mcr), a flanger (think of it hurts by ava) and a phaser (quite similar sounding to a flange but better sounding in my opinion).

whatever one pedal you want is entirely up to you. if you're a classic rocker fan and like playing solos, a wah pedal would be a good idea. if you're into punk music like pennywise you don't really need any pedals, maybe some sort of distortion pedal. if you're into ava you really need a combination to get the desired tone but a delay pedal is the best place to start. it really just depends on what music you play.

ignore the fag whose all " ZOMG E4Y1 HAS PEDAL I WANT 1 T00!", he's a douche. if you want to know any good pedals to buy, just ask.

well i dont really know anything about pedals but i wanna get one. so what kinda should i get for a first pedal?  :|

Everyones been talking about single effects but judging by your post im guessing you're not sure about what a single or multi effect pedal is and you're reffering to multieffect pedals.

In short: Single effect pedals are pedals which only include one effect and multi effect pedals include many effects, most of the time they have more effects then you knew existed.

So what are effects? Do i really need effects? What kind of effects are there? Which effect pedals should i buy? Whats the pros and cons of single versus multieffect pedals? Those are alot of questions so lets break it down.

What are effects?

Many might already know the answer, but for all those who don't know we can quote powerfull wikipedia:

"Guitar effects are electronic devices that modify the tone, pitch, or sound of an electric guitar."

Examples? The best example for a blink forum would be thinking about Angels and Airwaves The Adventure. Note how the guitars seems to feel like the notes are reapeated and the sound feels spacelike? Thats whats called a Delay effect. Another more subtle example would be Blink 182s Asthenia. Remember when the guitar starts playing and the sound feels deep and spacelike? Thats called Reverb which is a more subtle version of delay.

Effects can come built in inside amplifiers but the most usual case is separate effects which usually come in metal or plastic casings and can be hooked up to a guitar amplifier, these are commonly called pedals.

I should also clarify that overdrive and distortion are not considered as effects yet they come in single and multi effect pedals.

Do i really need effects?

Many new or unexperienced guitar players ask this question and mainly come to the same answer. Of course i need effects, after all X guitar god uses effects.

Yet most, if not all, experienced musicians will tell you that you should have the least amount of stuff intefering between your guitar and your amplifier as possible. What gives?

What i believe is the best why of determining wether you need effects or not is asking yourself these questions: How is my current guitar tone? Am i satisfied with it? If not, what do i think is missing?

Because you might be playing and thinking you like your tone EXCEPT you think it could be thicker and you could achieve this with many kind of pedals depending on your current gear such as an Overdrive, Distortion, some subtle Phaser (A la Van Halen), Clean Boost, Treble Boost, Reverb or a simple EQ pedal. Its also worth mentioning you might need even need an effect at all, maybe simple boosting the bass on your amp or turning the volume on your tube amp up shoud do.

Or you might be playing a song by your favorite group such as U2 and the tone is absolutely lacking since you're not using Delay and it sounds nothing alike (which might suck or might be great depending on your goals).

So if your simple guitar to amp is not cutting it for you then it might be a good idea to get and use effects. Anyone else thinking their tone is fine as it is but is worried that they have 0 effects should be reassured that this is more than fine, its actually preffered.

But many people don't know what kind of effect they need to acheive the sound they have in their head so Which effect pedals should i buy? And, whats the pros and cons of single versus multieffect pedals?

And right now i have to run, i will finish this up later

well basically you can have an amp with 2 channels and a footswitch. the one channel is clean, the other is your distorted channel. alot of amps have this feauture or you can get an amp with just one channel, have that channel set to clean and then buy a distortion pedal.

you said you were getting a marshall amp, which one is it? because depening on which one it is, your need for a pedal will change.

this is a complete idiots guide to a pedal board so sorry if it sounds at all patronising. anyway, a typical pedal board consists of a wah pedal (think of the song voodoo child), a distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal (im sure you'll know what these are), a delay pedal (pretty self explanitory), a chorus pedal (think of ghost of you by mcr), a flanger (think of it hurts by ava) and a phaser (quite similar sounding to a flange but better sounding in my opinion).

whatever one pedal you want is entirely up to you. if you're a classic rocker fan and like playing solos, a wah pedal would be a good idea. if you're into punk music like pennywise you don't really need any pedals, maybe some sort of distortion pedal. if you're into ava you really need a combination to get the desired tone but a delay pedal is the best place to start. it really just depends on what music you play.

ignore the fag whose all " ZOMG E4Y1 HAS PEDAL I WANT 1 T00!", he's a douche. if you want to know any good pedals to buy, just ask.

Shut up, you don't know shit about me or my knowledge about guitars.

And BLink1824life.

You'll use that Marshall amp you have on the clean channel and then use a distortion pedal.

Or like that chickenonasticken said, get a 2 (or more) channel amp.

Which amp are you getting by the way?

marshal jcm900 combo maybe

Whoohooo! That's a damn good combo man :)

You probably won't need a distortion pedal for that. JCM 900 combo has got a great distortion sound without any pedal.

I'd recommend a chorus or reverb, something to get a better clean sound :)