Do you think American Idiot had anything to do with the breakup?

M!ke

This has been crossing my mind a lot for a while.  Mark and Travis both said that Tom started acting distant and what not during the '04 European Tour, which actually took place shortly after the release of Green Day's American Idiot, and whats more shortly after the single Boulevard of Broken Dreams was being played all the time.

I just recall reading how they all looked up to Green Day for the longest time when they were starting out, and then I recall how Blink seemed to have surpassed Green Day in 2002 when they were the final band to play on the pop disaster tour.  And rightfully so, as Warning didn't compare to Enema or TOYPAJ IMO.  And then there were all these rumors that Green Day wrote Jackass about Blink, which I believe, if true is because of jealousy, Blink weren't around as long as Green Day, and they surpassed their popularity with a musical style very similar to theirs.

Anyways, Blink released the new direction self titled album which was well received by fans and for the most part reviewers, but it didn't become as big a phenomena as the two previous albums, but that could easily be explained by the fact that they were doing something new that would likely turn the pre-teen fans away.  The one single that one would have thought would have gotten a ton of attention was I Miss You, and it did get a lot, but again, it felt like it could have been more.

But then a year later, Green Day released American Idiot which like Blink was a departure from their previous sounds.  But unlike Blink, it actually sold far better than their previous sounds, and suddenly, the only punk-rock/pop-punk band people would talk about was Green Day.  And I just wonder, maybe it was this attention that got to Tom. 

I recall reading that between the pop disaster tour and AI Billie Joe considered leaving his band as well, perhaps for the same reason I'm speculating Tom might have left.  I can't really say for sure, but I think subconsciously the two bands or at least members of the two bands were competing with each other towards the end.  And perhaps when Blink lost their lead, Tom thought there was no way he could get it back unless he moved on.

you all act like assholes about it, but i really wonder what tom thought of the album, i bet there was at least a little bit of jealousy there

so let me get this straight...tom was jealous and wanted to be more successful than greenday

and in order to do that..he had to leave a band that had worldwide status and recognition...and start a small unknown band...in order to be bigger than fucking green day..essentially taking a step backwards in popularity...in order to be....more popular than green day...one of the biggest punk bands of all time.......

dude ur logic is so retarded it hurts

you all act like assholes about it, but i really wonder what tom thought of the album, i bet there was at least a little bit of jealousy there

so let me get this straight...tom was jealous and wanted to be more successful than greenday

and in order to do that..he had to leave a band that had worldwide status and recognition...and start a small unknown band...in order to be bigger than fucking green day..essentially taking a step backwards in popularity...in order to be....more popular than green day...one of the biggest punk bands of all time.......

end of topic.

Use your erection: Usually you are really smart, but I am not sure what happened for this post.

Blink and Green Day were in competition, especially on the PDT.

Green Day was pissed that Blink has suceeded them in popularity around that time. They didn't care too much for Blink either.

But I don't think it is the reason why Tom left Blink at all.

• Like 1

its really not so retarded, They were bigger than green day, they released an album they thought was amazing, which it was but, green day released an album that too was amazing that put them back above Blink, Tom may have thought I can't do better than AI at least not with these guys, I need to try something completely new.  (personally, i love self titled more than AI, but for the media it was the other way around)

I'm not saying its the sole reason, not by any means, but I just have to wonder, if the success and attention the GD album was getting and the lack of attention the self titled blink album was getting got to Tom in any way.  Is that really so crazy? 

Maybe I'm not wording it right, but the media latched on to the direction Green Day was going and not so much the direction Blink was going (perhaps an indicator as to why WYHSB didn't get too much attention either), if blink continued with their sound, it would have kicked ass, but it probably wouldn't have gotten the attention it deserved, because the media is all about the pop-punk music created in the wake of American Idiot like FOB, PATD, and all those gay ass bands, and not self titled Blink. And maybe thats why Tom thought, we're not gonna go in that direction, but if we stick with this we wont be as big as we were, I should just try something new.