Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

1 minute ago, NJansaid said:

Question for Producer Peoples:

Pro Tools? Logic? Fruity Loops? GarageBand?

What is the best DAW (I think they are called) for producing your own music?  I picked up this MIDI keyboard, and I am actually pretty talented at this stuff.  I want to mix it into my guitar stuff and record drums on it with the keyboard, etc.  What's the best software for this?  Does one work better with the poppy punk genre vs let's say metal or hip hop?  

Logic or Pro Tools if you can afford them.  It's the industry standard.  But FL and Garageband are both great and easy to use.  Maybe start with one of those first.

2 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Logic or Pro Tools if you can afford them.  It's the industry standard.  But FL and Garageband are both great and easy to use.  Maybe start with one of those first.

Thanks.  Do you think there's really much a difference between the two (logic vs protools)?  I've used Garageband forever, it's cheesy but works.  You'd have to be pretty damn experienced with recording/editing/etc to make it sound like a professional mix no?

Protools is the best for handling audio. With midi, logic is far superior  if you're used with garage band id go for logic for sure. 

If you know what you're doing and the material is recorded great there isnt much magic to do in a mix anyway, so its definately possible with garage band.... But its not made for that kind of thing and it shows :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Thanks.  Do you think there's really much a difference between the two (logic vs protools)?  I've used Garageband forever, it's cheesy but works.  You'd have to be pretty damn experienced with recording/editing/etc to make it sound like a professional mix no?

yeah GB doesn't offer much in the editing department.  Only option there is to improve your mics, instruments etc and make them sound as good as possible going in, and basically record things live.  

I've never used Pro Tools but Logic is awesome and I only know how to work like 5% of it.  

Thanks, really appreciate it. Everytime time I try to research into it with comparisons I can't tell if they're paid off or they're metal heads who are going for a complete different sound.

I was thinking about using this Get Good Drums software for making realistic drums from keyboard, but wondering if Logic has something built in?

7 minutes ago, Regi. said:

Check out ableton live. Its awesome with midi stuff, also easy to record into it. 

This looks like a similar option.  There's a bunch of em now..

I think I like the idea that Logic is apple based/similar to GarageBand which I'm familiar with so I'm probably going to go with that.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NJansaid said:

Question for Producer Peoples:

Pro Tools? Logic? Fruity Loops? GarageBand?

What is the best DAW (I think they are called) for producing your own music?  I picked up this MIDI keyboard, and I am actually pretty talented at this stuff.  I want to mix it into my guitar stuff and record drums on it with the keyboard, etc.  What's the best software for this?  Does one work better with the poppy punk genre vs let's say metal or hip hop?  

The DAW has little to do with genre unless it's specific like Cubase.

I'd say if your on Mac garageband will be absolutely fine for just doing your own thing, it's what I'm currently using - however if you want to do it more professionally I'd say Pro Tools for Windows, Logic for Mac.

Logic is easily the best DAW I've used and has an improved intuitive drummer like Garagebands at a much higher level.

If you're leaning mostly towards midi though ableton is a good shout.

Darn, from doing more research I was pretty set on Logic as I'm familiar with the layout...but the drum writing is a really important part to me so I'm torn on Ableton vs Logic.

Unfortunately, I just got a new PC not too long ago I was hoping to use...my macbook from 2011 is near fried.  Didn't realize Logic was solely Mac now.  Fml.

The most powerful tool is the one you know how to use. I've only heard great stuff about ableton and i played with it for a while but i had to switch back to where i was familiar with.

AFAIK you can open your garage band session into logic? That alone would be a big plus 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

The most powerful tool is the one you know how to use. I've only heard great stuff about ableton and i played with it for a while but i had to switch back to where i was familiar with.

AFAIK you can open your garage band session into logic? That alone would be a big plus 

I've spent my lifetime on Garageband...so Logic would be the easiest progression.  Learning a new DAW seems like hell even if better in areas I'm looking for.  Just looking at Ableton interface seems dodgy.

I actually don't love Garageband's layout at all, but I'm well rehearsed in it to skip a long learning curve.

Problem is I just bought that fucking PC.  

1 minute ago, NJansaid said:

I've spent my lifetime on Garageband...so Logic would be the easiest progression.  Learning a new DAW seems like hell even if better in areas I'm looking for.  Just looking at Ableton interface seems dodgy.

I actually don't love Garageband's layout at all, but I'm well rehearsed in it to skip a long learning curve.

Problem is I just bought that fucking PC.  

Years ago I almost bought an apple laptop because of Garageband and the only reason I didn't was because they were pushing this Garageband course super hard. It cost extra to sign into and they wanted to charge for each session. I kept saying no and the apple people kept insisting I do it, finally I just left the store all together. Did you get anything like that?

4 minutes ago, Neal said:

Oh so logic is off the table anyways.. have you tried studio 1?

Unless I return the PC and look into a new Mac...which is pricey.

Studio One does look the most similar in interface to Logic/GB which is encouraging.  I might have to look into this one more.

15 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

Years ago I almost bought an apple laptop because of Garageband and the only reason I didn't was because they were pushing this Garageband course super hard. It cost extra to sign into and they wanted to charge for each session. I kept saying no and the apple people kept insisting I do it, finally I just left the store all together. Did you get anything like that?

Hah no, I am a pro at scaring off sales guys.  I literally have it down to a science, I will walk in while on a fake phone call and then do strategic turns when I see them in my peripheral and start walking or make a really uncomfortable joke if they find a way to get a hold of me.  Sometimes I even where headphones.

My macbook is ancient now from 2011, I don't think they had this course at the time but I know they were pushing the full microsoft office package for teachers or some shit even though I wasn't a teacher.

12 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

Lulwhat? I've never had that... paid tutorials for GB that's hilarious. 

22 minutes ago, Neal said:

Veeeery true.

9 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Hah no, I am a pro at scaring off sales guys.  I literally have it down to a science, I will walk in while on a fake phone call and then do strategic turns when I see them in my peripheral and start walking or make a really uncomfortable joke if they find a way to get a hold of me.  Sometimes I even where headphones.

My macbook is ancient now from 2011, I don't think they had this course at the time but I know they were pushing the full microsoft office package for teachers or some shit even though I wasn't a teacher.

8 minutes ago, Kay said:

Lulwhat? I've never had that... paid tutorials for GB that's hilarious. 

Veeeery true.

So, this was probably ... 2008, maybe 2009? ... I don't remember exactly. Who knows, I just remember them being super insistent. 

26 minutes ago, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

So, this was probably ... 2008, maybe 2009? ... I don't remember exactly. Who knows, I just remember them being super insistent. 

Amazing. Youtube was a thing then, there were free tutorials, what a knob.