Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

Reading this thread got me in the mood to do some stuff. Here's a song we recorded all the instruments to ages ago and half mixed and decided to "finish off" today. Would love some feedback. None of the instruments are me. Purely recording/mix. There's a few things id definitely change in the original recording but nothing i can do about that now. I already know what I’d like to change but wanna see if people feel the same way.

https://soundcloud.com/russel-coight/rambling-me-coight/s-rkutq2JVWP2

P.s nobody tell me girlfriend im sharing this cause she is shy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

If you're going for an acoustic sound then a mic'd acoustic should definitely sound better as long as you mic'd it up properly. Where did you position the mic?

About a foot back, pointing at the 12th fret give or take.  I've really tried a lot of variations.  Let me send you a few tracks if you don't mind and maybe you can see it different. Maybe it's actually fine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Reading this thread got me in the mood to do some stuff. Here's a song we recorded all the instruments to ages ago and half mixed and decided to "finish off" today. Would love some feedback. None of the instruments are me. Purely recording/mix. There's a few things id definitely change in the original recording but nothing i can do about that now. I already know what I’d like to change but wanna see if people feel the same way.

https://soundcloud.com/russel-coight/rambling-me-coight/s-rkutq2JVWP2

P.s nobody tell me girlfriend im sharing this cause she is shy.

It's contagious right? I know I went on bitching but it's addicting. I do like this down time in a way.

Song kicks ass tbh, I dig this type of music. The change at 1:30 was awesome and kept me in the rest of the way.  The vocal parts at 2:09 had me go back a couple times out of admiration. Definitely the climax for me.  I guess if I had to change anything it'd be the slow down for the solo, it fits the song just think it continuing to build would kill it.  Again, I don't think it'd fit the song better but some doubles during the climactic parts could be dope. 

If you're into this music it's plenty good, I don't see any big changes from audience perspective

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

It's contagious right? I know I went on bitching but it's addicting. I do like this down time in a way.

Song kicks ass tbh, I dig this type of music. The change at 1:30 was awesome and kept me in the rest of the way.  The vocal parts at 2:09 had me go back a couple times out of admiration. Definitely the climax for me.  I guess if I had to change anything it'd be the slow down for the solo, it fits the song just think it continuing to build would kill it.  Again, I don't think it'd fit the song better but some doubles during the climactic parts could be dope. 

If you're into this music it's plenty good, I don't see any big changes from audience perspective

I actually studied this at uni. Did a bachelors degree at SAE for Audio Engineering/Sound Production. Wasn’t able to make a career out of it unfortunately but still do it as a hobby just had a big gap but been getting back into it the last couple years.

thanks I like the song too but I meant more feedback from a mixing perspective. The more I listen the more I think the acoustic guitar is a little low in the intro when the electric guitar comes in panned pretty hard right overpowers it too much? 

24 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I actually studied this at uni. Did a bachelors degree at SAE for Audio Engineering/Sound Production. Wasn’t able to make a career out of it unfortunately but still do it as a hobby just had a big gap but been getting back into it the last couple years.

thanks I like the song too but I meant more feedback from a mixing perspective. The more I listen the more I think the acoustic guitar is a little low in the intro when the electric guitar comes in panned pretty hard right overpowers it too much? 

Do you think it helps your musician side of things or hurts it?  My friend went for it and now that he's good at it he says he can never look at music again the same.  He see's it constantly visually and it hinders his songwriting.

Yes the intro acoustic is a bit soft compared to the vocals/electric but it sounds good once the verse gets going.  I would slightly bring down the electric and acoustic up yes.  Where did you pan the acoustic?  I'd pan the electric to the left at some point too.

11 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Do you think it helps your musician side of things or hurts it?  My friend went for it and now that he's good at it he says he can never look at music again the same.  He see's it constantly visually and it hinders his songwriting.

Yes the intro acoustic is a bit soft compared to the vocals/electric but it sounds good once the verse gets going.  I would slightly bring down the electric and acoustic up yes.  Where did you pan the acoustic?  I'd pan the electric to the left at some point too.

I’m barely a musician. I played bass in high school in a shitty band with friends. That’s the extent of my musicianship so I can’t speak on that.

I’ve got the acoustic panned 25 to the left for the intro and verses but in the chorus i duplicated the acoustic track and panned it 25 to the right so it’s in 25 both ways in the chorus. The electric is panned 75 to the right all the way through. I do like having the electric come in mostly on the right during the early parts but I’ll mess around with how it sounds more centred in the choruses.

1 hour ago, Jan's Plan said:

Have had a quick little look will give it a proper go tomorrow. I don’t have the amp plug in so I can’t hear what it sounds like with that but honestly the guitar alone doesn’t sound bad at all. Definitely over processed with the all the eq

Give me some notes though: is the synth meant to be the melody instrument? You want that louder than the guitar yeah? Guitar 1 and guitar 2 are just the same track for the majority of it just hard panned left and right? Guitar verb is named like that for a reason? It doesn’t seem to go to a reverb unless I missed it.

11 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Have had a quick little look will give it a proper go tomorrow. I don’t have the amp plug in so I can’t hear what it sounds like with that but honestly the guitar alone doesn’t sound bad at all. Definitely over processed with the all the eq

Give me some notes though: is the synth meant to be the melody instrument? You want that louder than the guitar yeah? Guitar 1 and guitar 2 are just the same track for the majority of it just hard panned left and right? Guitar verb is named like that for a reason? It doesn’t seem to go to a reverb unless I missed it.

Should have realized that, that's gonna bug me because that's where I get stuck it sounds a little fatter without it, but the tone bothers me so I can't make a decision.  I also just put ideas down then push buttons for 10+ hours until I go crazy so I'm not exactly sure what to all be looking for.  I know the EQ is a problem, but it sounds better to me from a tonal standpoint (it's more exciteable), but I've seen nothing that backs this route of spiking up the EQs.

Synth is just a backing instrument that comes in and out, G1 & 2 are the same because I've read panning hard left and right will make it sound bigger, which it does but also feels like guessing, I just named it Verb because I was going to add some sort of reverbs/delays in that section.  The effects I all put in busses because it tends to be more subtle and not take over the whole sound, but, again, am just guessing/going off what ear is telling me.

Btw I really appreciate this, like I said, I enjoy learning this but it's definitely not something you could do more than a few times imo (the whole process).  The guitar probably sounds like mush to me because I've looped it 100x times now, which is another reason to have another party involved

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

@Russel Coight Did you get it sorted out? I'm interested to hear the results

He did, but this was really the middle phase, I would wait for the final results. He definitely caught the things I was doing wrong right away which was mainly EQ/Compression and spreading the track through stereo instead of just L/R.

EQ and Compression seem like they take years to develop a good ear for.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Three to Five songs is the usual amount, or, 10 to 20 minutes of music if we're talking about the real EPs

Fuck. I got lazy and didn't want to write another 4 songs and was hoping a 9 song EP was a thing. You know, extended, extended play. EEP.

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Can anyone give any recommendations on a iMac or Mac Mini to run Logic Pro X? I'm trying to stay in the 700-800 dollar range, so I'm looking for something from 2016-2018 ... I'm useless when it comes to technology or specifications so any steering in the right direction would be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, PrickWhoLooksCatatonic said:

Can anyone give any recommendations on a iMac or Mac Mini to run Logic Pro X? I'm trying to stay in the 700-800 dollar range, so I'm looking for something from 2016-2018 ... I'm useless when it comes to technology or specifications so any steering in the right direction would be appreciated. 

You want something with decent memory like 16gb, but idk if you'll get it for that money. Maybe if you can find a refurbed one?