Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

6 minutes ago, Kay said:

You want something with decent memory like 16gb, but idk if you'll get it for that money. Maybe if you can find a refurbed one? 

It'll definitely be a refurbished one. The M1 chips make it difficult to work with anything older so I'm not gonna bother getting a new one.

27 minutes ago, Tape Worm Eclair said:

Yeah? What are the specs? 

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.3-21-inch-aluminum-mid-2017-specs.html

might be a bit weaker than what you are after. We had no issues running pro tools or Logic Pro X on it. Although when recording we only ever recorded 2 mics at the same time and most of our sessions were in the 6-12 track range which had no issues when mixing/playback butI don’t know how well It would handle a full band session or recording an entire drum kit with 8 microphones at the same time.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Burgersandcole said:

Is there a thread to critique your band,  my bands really new and we sound bad but I don't know why.

We can be really mean to each other sometimes but if you want genuine feedback, share a recording and we'll give some constructive criticism. 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I cannot, for the life of me, get my UAD plugins to be recognizable in Logic. I’ve run through the steps a few times and nothing. I just finished uninstalling and reinstalling everything, maybe that’ll work. I even installed Luna just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 3:09 AM, Speedo said:

I cannot, for the life of me, get my UAD plugins to be recognizable in Logic. I’ve run through the steps a few times and nothing. I just finished uninstalling and reinstalling everything, maybe that’ll work. I even installed Luna just in case.

Maybe try a different DAW to see if that recognizes the plug-ins? Reaper is great (and free). Even if you don't move over to it, you may narrow the problem down to either being Logic related or if the plug-ins are also a problem on another DAW.

6 minutes ago, givemeyoureyes said:

Maybe try a different DAW to see if that recognizes the plug-ins? Reaper is great (and free). Even if you don't move over to it, you may narrow the problem down to either being Logic related or if the plug-ins are also a problem on another DAW.

Appreciate that! I did grab Luna since it came with the Apollo interface. Honestly, I’m probably just a dolt and I’m not doing something right. I’ll give Reaper a go, like you suggested, see how it works with something that isn’t UAD related.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, naJ said:

@KayI'm not sure how you do it.  I'm not even taking it seriously or anything and still can't find myself to finish a single project, it's mind numbing to get everything right.  Your stuff is really good by the way, good vocalist

Random and thank you.

I struggle to finish projects too, some serious ADHD stuff but you get used to forcing yourself to finish things.

from a songwriting / demoing perspective I just accept that I will never make anything perfect. I just try to accept “good enough” and “finished”

when it comes to production though… I know it’s that step beyond me, so I hire it out now haha. I home record guide tracks and song ideas but all “real” recording, I get help.

we can’t do everything.

@Kay @Speedo

That makes sense.  I truly, just for myself, want to make out the songs I've been writing on for years, I have the idea for it, but making that happen within the DAW is just excruciating.  I knew there had to be some type of service out there.  Downloading templates has been..helpful. But then it's always going to have so many layers in it you are kind of stuck in that sound.  Bringing it to a studio is just embarrassing (and expensive).  So with Fiverr, you essentially can send over the fully arranged song, and have them send it back to do final touches on I presume?

Thanks, seriously.  I'd love to just get the arrangements down, send it off, then be able to still add extra touches/effects after instead of getting majorly distracted early/mid way through.  But I don't want it to be 'finalized' so to speak

• Like 1

Beautiful, wow @Speedo, this is what I've been searching for, for like 3 years.  I hate sending shit to friends or local people, so fucking nice to have 3rd party people who are likely just as good if not better to.  I can die happy now.

Speedo BOTBM 2024!

Also agreed with @Kay, you can't do everything. If you just wanna write, you just wanna write.  If you want to mix only, it's hard to do your own shit, and kills the momentum tbh. Etc etc

• Love 1