Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

Just now, Matt. said:

Yea I remember looking into this, I believe the term is “decked”…where as right now mine is “blocked.” I wanted to do both but the Luthier told me there’s no point to deck it if it’s blocked. 

10 minutes ago, Fap God said:

Yea I remember looking into this, I believe the term is “decked”…where as right now mine is “blocked.” I wanted to do both but the Luthier told me there’s no point to deck it if it’s blocked. 

The springs would do the same thing as it being blocked so he isn’t wrong. 

1 minute ago, Matt. said:

The springs would do the same thing as it being blocked so he isn’t wrong. 

Right…yea that’s about what I gathered. I just checked, it just has the 3 normal ones , and the guy that just did my set up said he’d make sure it’s screwed down tight as well as blocked. But yea if I didn’t have the piece of wood blocking it I was gonna go the route you suggested with the 5 springs. Good looking out! But yea that’s why I don’t wanna mess with it. I’m considering getting lessons tho so I can learn more than just blink and possibly how to take care of this thing lol 

1 minute ago, Fap God said:

Right…yea that’s about what I gathered. I just checked, it just has the 3 normal ones , and the guy that just did my set up said he’d make sure it’s screwed down tight as well as blocked. But yea if I didn’t have the piece of wood blocking it I was gonna go the route you suggested with the 5 springs. Good looking out! But yea that’s why I don’t wanna mess with it. I’m considering getting lessons tho so I can learn more than just blink and possibly how to take care of this thing lol 

I can show you all this shit sometime if you want. I’m not a good guitar player but I have a decent equipment knowledge.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, Matt. said:

I can show you all this shit sometime if you want. I’m not a good guitar player but I have a decent equipment knowledge.

Thank you! Im not a good guitar player either, and if im ever feeling motivated I’ll take you up on that

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 1:54 AM, Fap God said:

What are the best headphones to plug a guitar straight into?

There isn‘t such a thing afaik, you‘ll need sone sort of amplification, also you‘ll want some kind of amp-modeling to not just hear the DI guitar signal.

Maybe your vox has a headphone jack? If not there are plenty of tiny amps that also have a headphone out or you could use an iRig adapter with your iPhone/iPad and garage band

something like this would probably be the most convenient route to go:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugAC30G2--vox-amplug-2-ac30-headphone-guitar-amp

• Love 1

I have one of the cheap vox tiny amp headphone things and its… pointless really, I end up playing through my computer instead for more tones and control. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neal said:

There isn‘t such a thing afaik, you‘ll need sone sort of amplification, also you‘ll want some kind of amp-modeling to not just hear the DI guitar signal.

Maybe your vox has a headphone jack? If not there are plenty of tiny amps that also have a headphone out or you could use an iRig adapter with your iPhone/iPad and garage band

something like this would probably be the most convenient route to go:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugAC30G2--vox-amplug-2-ac30-headphone-guitar-amp

Thank you. So my Vox does have a headphone Jack, it just doesn’t sound great. I’ve tried my normal headphones as well as the headphones for my electronic drums and neither blow me away. The headphones for the drums sound amazing…for the drums. So I was just wondering if anyone had any guitar headphones that they love. 

2 hours ago, Invaluable Nonbinosaur said:

I have one of the cheap vox tiny amp headphone things and its… pointless really, I end up playing through my computer instead for more tones and control. 

Thank you. Those were ones I was eyeing simply because I’m lazy and have a Vox amp lol. I’ll stay away 

34 minutes ago, Fap God said:

Thank you. Those were ones I was eyeing simply because I’m lazy and have a Vox amp lol. I’ll stay away 

Tbf they function, it has a lil gain noodle and “effects” but to me the effects are mostly pointless and the gain is “eh” but if you want a convenient ten minute noodle session its not terrible, they are cheap enough. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Invaluable Nonbinosaur said:

Tbf they function, it has a lil gain noodle and “effects” but to me the effects are mostly pointless and the gain is “eh” but if you want a convenient ten minute noodle session its not terrible, they are cheap enough. 

Thanks for the review, i haven‘t tried one myself. 

Depending on your budget, an hx stomp might be worth looking into. I used to have a helix at home and that was great. The engine is the same

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Thanks for the review, i haven‘t tried one myself. 

Depending on your budget, an hx stomp might be worth looking into. I used to have a helix at home and that was great. The engine is the same

Thats a good 20x the price haha 

On 5/2/2023 at 6:54 PM, Fap God said:

What are the best headphones to plug a guitar straight into?

The sennheiser headphones I have a separate plug that goes straight into guitar and I would swear by this brand for the rest of my life as far as headphones go and value.  Assuming you'd want to plug into an amp though?

Selling my Lava guitar for half the price also, because I truly fucking hate the thing that much.  It's cool, but I simply don't have time to figure out all the app/phone connect features and it doesn't get loud enough for me.  They're aight, they play drum beats, do a lot, but the technology isn't there yet if it only gets to like volume 3 on an amp maxed.

They said you could use this at gigs or people do, find that hard to believe.   

11 minutes ago, BK Lounge said:

Selling my Lava guitar for half the price also, because I truly fucking hate the thing that much.  It's cool, but I simply don't have time to figure out all the app/phone connect features and it doesn't get loud enough for me.  They're aight, they play drum beats, do a lot, but the technology isn't there yet if it only gets to like volume 3 on an amp maxed.

They said you could use this at gigs or people do, find that hard to believe.   

That’s the carbon fiber guitar, right? 

• Like 1

I have not seen half-stacks, or full cabs, in a while.  I used to have one, 15 years ago when I had no idea what I was doing and it was..intense. Played live a few times in our high school bands.  Shit was fun.

Had no reason to keep those monsters though but it was fun to learn how to use them.

Except now I know that Guitar Center did not in fact care about my musical dreams and band they only cared about making a sale for their commission FAKE SMILES.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olivers Sunday Ticket said:

I have not seen half-stacks, or full cabs, in a while.  I used to have one, 15 years ago when I had no idea what I was doing and it was..intense. Played live a few times in our high school bands.  Shit was fun.

Had no reason to keep those monsters though but it was fun to learn how to use them.

Except now I know that Guitar Center did not in fact care about my musical dreams and band they only cared about making a sale for their commission FAKE SMILES.

Yea that shit is LOUD. I kept it down pretty low. That orange guitar is a baritone and fun to fuck around on. 

48 minutes ago, Fap God said:

Yea that shit is LOUD. I kept it down pretty low. That orange guitar is a baritone and fun to fuck around on. 

Best part is we all got half stacks for our birthdays or christmas back then and then there was one know it all in the band who convinced us that these "wouldn't be loud enough" for a small high school theater, and stressed us all out for months that we would need to hook up to a PA system and all this jazz and we ended up just going with the half stacks and it was plenty fine for a small theater and gym.

• Like 1