Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

• 6 months later...
What You Need

Acoustic:You can record acoustic two ways. You can use a mic to mic the guitar and then run it into your computer through the line out. To do this you will need a mic. and a 1/4 to 1/8 piece which you can pick up at Radio Shack and a program. I suggest Cool Edit Pro which I find easiest for me but their are tons of others. Or if you have an electric acoustic just plug the acoustic in through the line out like before.

Electric:Their are many ways you could record an electric guitar. You could go from your amp into pedals to a mixer. Straight from your pedal to the computer.Mic the amp. It's really your choice on how you like the sound and what you find gets the best sound.

Basic Stuff To Record

-A Mic (Shure SM48) 99$ Good quality to start messing around with

-A 1/4 to 1/8 Piece 2-3$

-Your Guitar :P

Once you get more into it their are plenty of our options.Digital which I havent ever used but throwing a mixer into the picture as well as higher quality pedals and mics will help. As well as a mic preamp.

THANKS TO HYLER

Well' date=' usually I would get technical here, start talking about frequencies, what to run, how to interface with your computer to get the best sound, etc.

But here instead of explaining why, I will just give the bare minimum to achieve a record quality tone, you can research them on your own if you like.

24/96 Interface

Mic For Acoustic (never record your acoustic using a pickup even if it's built in, preferebly a sensitive mic with a large interval of frequency range. I use an MXL Condensor)

DI For Electric along with a Mic Modeling program, or run a raw direct signal into your PC and use a VST such as Native Instruments Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

That's not asking too much. And please do not record using your amp and a mic. I'm getting so sick of hearing those failed tones. Most people cannot properly do this. They may even have a good amp, as well as a sufficient mic, but they never take room size, mic placement, post mic preamp, or VST adjustments into consideration when they do it, and they always end up sounding horrible.[/quote']

Sorry to ask if its obvious but what is a 1/4 to 1/8 piece :-?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Get audicity its pretty good and easy to use. A lot of the other programs are so compliceted to use and have so many different options. This one is simple. The thing is you have to plug it from the headphone jack of the amp to the laptop for the best sound. :D

thats what me and my band do, but we used Kristal to record on, its soo good, simple to use and best of all freeware :D

• 2 weeks later...

ok one more thing... My amp (Peavey Bandit 112) doesnt have a headphone jack, but it does have a pre amp out plug, so i plugged one end of my cable in there and plugged the other end into my toneport, but now i dont know how to record it onto my computer. (I'm assuming i dont need gearbox now) I went onto ableton live and tried to record with it, but its not getting any signal from my amp.... so any help?

• 3 weeks later...
Basically any recording software will work with Toneports.

A 24/96 interface converts a guitar signal (24hz) to a signal recording software can understand (96hz)' date=' I think. I'm probably wrong though.[/quote']

that made my head hurt

i'm gunna stay away from this place

Basically any recording software will work with Toneports.

A 24/96 interface converts a guitar signal (24hz) to a signal recording software can understand (96hz)' date=' I think. I'm probably wrong though.[/quote']

that made my head hurt

i'm gunna stay away from this place

Don't worry. The comment was incorrect anyways.

Simple, it's the rate of the A/D (or DD) audio conversion. Bit and sample are what the two different numbers represent. Anything >= 96hz is considered high definition. The lowest quality you can really go with having enough headroom for a good recording would be around 16bits and 44.1hz (And no, bit is not short for byte just in case people are thinking as much).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...