Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

What You Need

Acoustic:You can record acoustic two ways. You can use a mic to mic the guitar and then run it into your computer through the line out. To do this you will need a mic. and a 1/4 to 1/8 piece which you can pick up at Radio Shack and a program. I suggest Cool Edit Pro which I find easiest for me but their are tons of others. Or if you have an electric acoustic just plug the acoustic in through the line out like before.

Electric:Their are many ways you could record an electric guitar. You could go from your amp into pedals to a mixer. Straight from your pedal to the computer.Mic the amp. It's really your choice on how you like the sound and what you find gets the best sound.

Basic Stuff To Record

-A Mic (Shure SM48) 99$ Good quality to start messing around with

-A 1/4 to 1/8 Piece 2-3$

-Your Guitar  :P

Once you get more into it their are plenty of our options.Digital which I havent ever used but throwing a mixer into the picture as well as higher quality pedals and mics will help. As well as a mic preamp.

THANKS TO HYLER

Well, usually I would get technical here, start talking about frequencies, what to run, how to interface with your computer to get the best sound, etc.

But here instead of explaining why, I will just give the bare minimum to achieve a record quality tone, you can research them on your own if you like.

24/96 Interface

Mic For Acoustic (never record your acoustic using a pickup even if it's built in, preferebly a sensitive mic with a large interval of frequency range. I use an MXL Condensor)

DI For Electric along with a Mic Modeling program, or run a raw direct signal into your PC and use a VST such as Native Instruments Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

That's not asking too much. And please do not record using your amp and a mic. I'm getting so sick of hearing those failed tones. Most people cannot properly do this. They may even have a good amp, as well as a sufficient mic, but they never take room size, mic placement, post mic preamp, or VST adjustments into consideration when they do it, and they always end up sounding horrible.

Well, usually I would get technical here, start talking about frequencies, what to run, how to interface with your computer to get the best sound, etc.

But here instead of explaining why, I will just give the bare minimum to achieve a record quality tone, you can research them on your own if you like.

24/96 Interface

Mic For Acoustic (never record your acoustic using a pickup even if it's built in, preferebly a sensitive mic with a large interval of frequency range. I use an MXL Condensor)

DI For Electric along with a Mic Modeling program, or run a raw direct signal into your PC and use a VST such as Native Instruments Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

That's not asking too much. And please do not record using your amp and a mic. I'm getting so sick of hearing those failed tones. Most people cannot properly do this. They may even have a good amp, as well as a sufficient mic, but they never take room size, mic placement, post mic preamp, or VST adjustments into consideration when they do it, and they always end up sounding horrible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Akraix

Like hyler said about the mics, if your going to record through the mic. Make it a quality mic. Make sure there are no noises, or you'll have fuzz and static. If you don't have a mic go through your headphone jack in your amp with a wire to your mic slot in your computer. That'll work 99% clear, unless the headphone slot on your amp makes it a bit muddy sounding. That depends on the amp though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GrandpaReefer
hyler knows what hes on about' date=' finally someone in the same boat as me 8)[/quote']

no you obviously dont know what youre talkin about

you said behringer is complete shit when it obviously isnt. You go by prices, if its low it must be shit, if its high it must be amazings

You're a jackass

sorry but in my experaince behringer is a bad choice, why use a fucking behringer over a boss rack mount or a live raw amp of any sort, the eurodesk is exactly the desk i had issues with it, gave a disgusting hum of its ow, kill all faders, and gain and i got a horrible hum, to be honest this wasnt my own studio and it was a college where i had to show a class basic frequency ranges and compression methods, i told the class to kill all faders and drop the gain, the desk was either on its way out or behringer is a bit shitty, now about a week later we came to recording some live guitars, but the lack of live amps we had to use the BEHRINGER V-AMP 1 now raw and pund for pound its allright piece of kit, but i had expected better the raw tone of the natural amp was below standard, there was no definition on high end notes and the mid range was just a complete mess. after some parametric EQing within cubase (quite decent) i could level the problems out allso dropping some of the higher frequencies i let some more mid through and let the bass resign through the track nicely.

basiclly ive had alot of problems with them that i wouldn thave with other companies the best bieng this neat boss rack mount i really should pick one up it was truely amazing.

apologies if ive pissed anyone off, anyway yeah i havent really tried hoking up pedals as i usually use rack mounts but im sure you could connect your guitar to your pedal then your pedal to the pc via adaptor youll need a basic sequencer though, again cubase for efficiancy.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Band Has:

a Yamaha 4 Channel Mixer

Marshall MG-15 DFX Guitar Amp ----> To be upgraded to MG-30 DFX

Squier 10 Guitar Amp ----> To be upgraded to something better

3 Behringer Microphones

Old Pearl Drums ----> Skins to be replaced

Epiphone SG Special ----> Upgrading to Fender Telecaster HH

Squier Started Pack Guitar ----> Upgrading to Epiphone Les Paul Studio

The question is how do we record a demo???

We have the talent and stuff required to make it, but we lack in equipment...

Upgrades = The Squier is definitely getting upgraded to the Epiphone

My guitar is the SG Special and I'm not sure what i want to upgrade to... most likely the Fender Telecaster HH or Telecaster Deluxe or Gibson SG Special (I can't decide but I'm leaning towards the Tele HH) Who has a suggestion there? That's only if i make honor roll if not i have to choose a like 500 dollar guitar instead... for 500 I would go with the Epiphone Les Paul Standard

We are currently very unfortunate in the field of equipment...

What are the bare essentials we need to get on the road to becoming a band...

We want to record a demo and start playing some shows.. Whats the best pathway to follow?

Guest Akraix

a Yamaha 4 Channel Mixer - Fine dont need upgrade

Marshall MG-15 DFX Guitar Amp ----> To be upgraded to MG-30 DFX Do not go to a 30. Its a waste of money, if youre short on money go for the 50, if not go for the 250.

Squier 10 Guitar Amp ----> To be upgraded to something better Go for a roland cube 30/40. Awsome tube amps

3 Behringer Microphones Decent, go for some shures

Old Pearl Drums ----> Skins to be replaced If possible buy a new set?

Epiphone SG Special ----> Upgrading to Fender Telecaster HH Fine idea

Squier Started Pack Guitar ----> Upgrading to Epiphone Les Paul Studio Fine idea

The question is how do we record a demo??? As stated above

Marshall MG-15 DFX Guitar Amp ----> To be upgraded to MG-30 DFX Do not go to a 30. Its a waste of money' date=' if youre short on money go for the 50, if not go for the 250.

That's what I was thinking.. probably go the extra step up to the 50 or 250.. but once u get up to those prices it makes me wonder if I shouldnt just get like a Behringer Vampire Stack (not that I need one) but the behringer stack looks pretty good with the footswitch and all though im probably gonna go for the 50 or 250 wut about the line 6 spiders ive always had a thing for them they have like 12 tones and 4 channnnells that you can preset so when you get the footpedal your'e pretty much set correct me if i'm wrong but the marshall MG footpedal only has Channel and Effects switching [/quote']

Guest Akraix

i have a spider, theres awsome. their short boards are great. and have 4 channels you can have your own presets. line out for recording. and alot of effects built in.

i have a spider' date=' theres awsome. their short boards are great. and have 4 channels you can have your own presets. line out for recording. and alot of effects built in.[/quote']

ya i was thinking of one imagine 4 presets on a pedal board

thats pretty good for a live setup

most other amps only have choice between clean distortion and fx