Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

12 minutes ago, naJ said:

Beautiful, wow @Speedo, this is what I've been searching for, for like 3 years.  I hate sending shit to friends or local people, so fucking nice to have 3rd party people who are likely just as good if not better to.  I can die happy now.

Speedo BOTBM 2024!

Also agreed with @Kay, you can't do everything. If you just wanna write, you just wanna write.  If you want to mix only, it's hard to do your own shit, and kills the momentum tbh. Etc etc

Exactly. The way the world works now you’re “expected” to do everything, especially in music, but you obviously can’t and its hard to let yourself know that and accept that that’s okay.

16 minutes ago, naJ said:

Beautiful, wow @Speedo, this is what I've been searching for, for like 3 years.  I hate sending shit to friends or local people, so fucking nice to have 3rd party people who are likely just as good if not better to.  I can die happy now.

Speedo BOTBM 2024!

Also agreed with @Kay, you can't do everything. If you just wanna write, you just wanna write.  If you want to mix only, it's hard to do your own shit, and kills the momentum tbh. Etc etc

I’ll usually record with effects going through monitors or headphones but the track is dry. Then if someone else is doing the mix and master I’ll send them songs from other bands that I want it to sound like and let them run with it. It probably isn’t the most professional thing ever but it gets the job done and it saves me the trouble. Good luck with it.

What are your guys thoughts on dropping a guitar line -12 cents and making it a bit of a pseudo bass?  I really don't feel like recording or finding a bass player just to add to my personal stuff.  It sounds pretty cool, but is it going to f with the final? 

I switched back to Garageband.  Loving the move, so many less buttons!  

30 minutes ago, High Value Jan said:

What are your guys thoughts on dropping a guitar line -12 cents and making it a bit of a pseudo bass?  I really don't feel like recording or finding a bass player just to add to my personal stuff.  It sounds pretty cool, but is it going to f with the final? 

I switched back to Garageband.  Loving the move, so many less buttons!  

Everything comes down to frequencies and, yes, that is going to fuck with the mix. You’re better off just buying a cheap bass.

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...

I got the sexiest headphones ever, after experimenting around a lot during this past month.

img_3188-jpg.214409

Sennheiser 599

They have this nice retro vibe to them.  

Learned a lot about headphones..open back, closed back..bluetooth's delay with the EQs.  

Returned Bose QC45s (although I will standby the QC earbuds are the most amazing thing I've ever owned for noise cancellation & ear buds), Airpod Maxs (way too heavy and fall off, not great sounding).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Matt. said:

Bose got bought out years back and they dropped off hard afterward.

Makes sense.  I was a bit surprised that both those and the Airpod Max (which were expensive as fuck) were so lackluster sound quality, even being bluetooth and all, because those old Bose earbuds I still have even were and still are so friggin' good.  

I need the over ear noise cancellation just for daily work and cancelling out my dog and such, so I picked up those beats too as much as I didn't want them, refurbished on sale and honestly am pretty satisfied. For being 1/10th of the price, they do what they're supposed to do.

26 minutes ago, Fap God said:

Just got my guitar back from being set up and new strings put on it. Crazy how much brighter and more vibrant it sounds just from new strings 

Change your strings every 2 or 3 months, more if you play a ton.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt. said:

Change your strings every 2 or 3 months, more if you play a ton.

Yea I don’t even know how to but I should learn. My tremolo is blocked so I didn’t want to fuck with that. But yea, it still had the original strings from when the guitar was first assembled and setup a year and a half ago, so it def needed it lol 

42 minutes ago, Fap God said:

Yea I don’t even know how to but I should learn. My tremolo is blocked so I didn’t want to fuck with that. But yea, it still had the original strings from when the guitar was first assembled and setup a year and a half ago, so it def needed it lol 

Show me the bridge.

1 minute ago, Fap God said:

I don’t know if you meant back of the bridge? It’s blocked in the back with a piece of wood so it doesn’t move and functions like a hardtail 

No, don’t do that. Buy the springs. They’re cheap.

1 minute ago, Matt. said:

No, don’t do that. Buy the springs. They’re cheap.

I prefer the wood, I did a lot of research on this before I decided to have it blocked instead of screwed down. I think it is still tightened with the springs as well, I could check. All I know is that bridge doesn’t move lol