Recording Equipment and Questions, Advice, Etc.

Guest Brendan on Hiatus

1 minute ago, Regi. said:

Well yeah. Different for everyone. I just love to write while recording and it helps me to have something down to find riffs or melodies and write lyrics. Sometimes me and the drummer met, i only got the vibe of the song, some chords and he found a beat, then we just recorded the drums and i found out later how the rest was gonna go. Love it 

yeah of course, everyone does shit differently, just interesting to hear is all. 

• Like 1

This was written a looooong time ago but the drummer (i still write with him) came to me with a beat and wanted a certain vibe. I just did random chords that are in the song and had no idea what else came. Then after i wrote everything else on his drums. 

6 hours ago, NJansaid said:

It's interesting to hear someone who puts down drum lines first.  You hear that sometimes, I never have been able to do that.

I bet it makes a huge difference in a song.

I'll use the in built drummer in Garageband instead of a click track. I'll get it to be somewhat close to what I want, loop it round, record the acoustic guitar and the scratch vocal, then I'll go in and alter the drums in places so it sounds more natural and less monotonous (different parts and heavier on choruses, strip it back for quieter parts, etc) and then when I lay the bass down I have the right drums to "follow". 

Whenever I've recorded with a band though, it's been drums first, just makes sense. when I recorded the EP I had rough home recordings of guitar and vocal. my producer was a drummer so he took those, worked out the bpm, worked out drum parts digitally and sent them to me for me to be like 'yay or nay' and I'd critique sections, he'd fix and alter it digitally, send it back, and when I was happy he then performed and recorded the same parts on a full set so that when I came down to record all of the drums we're done and laid out. It was great because I didn't spend hours in the studio fussing over the drums and I still got to be a pedantic lil bitch about the parts. 

• Like 1

What do y'all think about Cubase? I swear everything I've heard come out of there just sounds more lively and atmospheric.

Gb/logic will forever feel basic to me. Even though it is professional, something about it just bothers me. It always feels catered to like a high school class

14 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

What do y'all think about Cubase? I swear everything I've heard come out of there just sounds more lively and atmospheric.

Gb/logic will forever feel basic to me. Even though it is professional, something about it just bothers me. It always feels catered to like a high school class

Eh... I think you're using Logic wrong. GB is supposed to be basic.

I haven't touched Cubase since like 2008, so my knowledge is more than rusty, but Cubase was always MIDI focused so I never saw the point of it as a main DAW for an actual instrumentalist. same for software like Reason (idk if that even still exists). 

1 hour ago, NJansaid said:

Big fan of cubase . They really stepped their game up 3-4 years ago and its great with handling audio, especialla editing and stuff.

However the DAW you use itself wont make your tracks sound better. You can import a file into different softwares and bounce them. They will always zero out when you flip the phase.

A daw has no own sound. It all depends on ehat you do with it. I've heard plenty of great records that were done on logic.

I've been part of a recording board but i had to leave. Everyone there was just fighting over what gear or software is better. Its a lame excuse to not improve yourself. You'll probably need 5 years of regular working with a main daw before you even know what it is all capable of doing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Big fan of cubase . They really stepped their game up 3-4 years ago and its great with handling audio, especialla editing and stuff.

However the DAW you use itself wont make your tracks sound better. You can import a file into different softwares and bounce them. They will always zero out when you flip the phase.

A daw has no own sound. It all depends on ehat you do with it. I've heard plenty of great records that were done on logic.

I've been part of a recording board but i had to leave. Everyone there was just fighting over what gear or software is better. Its a lame excuse to not improve yourself. You'll probably need 5 years of regular working with a main daw before you even know what it is all capable of doing. 

This is so true. I loved Logic when I had it but I barely scraped the surface of what it was capable of achieving. it's a secret beast. most DAWs are way more capable, the differences are how user friendly it is, and how much interest work and research the user is willing to put into it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kay said:

Eh... I think you're using Logic wrong. GB is supposed to be basic.

I haven't touched Cubase since like 2008, so my knowledge is more than rusty, but Cubase was always MIDI focused so I never saw the point of it as a main DAW for an actual instrumentalist. same for software like Reason (idk if that even still exists). 

Fully agree, but I'm talking about mainly MIDI & mixing.  Like if I'm trying to make some really large atmospheric alternative song, Cubase seems to get your there, gb/logic can too but feels way different.  

Now for instrumentalist, like mic'd up instruments, I don't think any DAW matters, more so what you are putting it in. 

2 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Fully agree, but I'm talking about mainly MIDI & mixing.  Like if I'm trying to make some really large atmospheric alternative song, Cubase seems to get your there, gb/logic can too but feels way different.  

Now for instrumentalist, like mic'd up instruments, I don't think any DAW matters, more so what you are putting it in. 

Thats important regardless of the DAW but the use-ability of the edit matters too regardless of genre. Logic has a lot to offer there. 

If it's mostly MIDI though, it's either Cubase or Ableton. most people swear by the latter, never used it myself. 

On 1/30/2019 at 6:11 AM, Neal said:

Oh I'm fully aware of that and wholeheartedly agree.  I have a friend who opened a full fledged studio a couple years ago.. All they do is spend their entire savings in new equipment and software and they've yet to do any project.. it's like they think the fancy equipment they have is what's going to make the music/art better and never practice toning their skills or on ideas..

The artist, creativity, skill matter first and foremost to making anything sound good.  Steve Lacy is a good example, he used solely his iPhone and garageband mobile to produce several famous songs in the past few years.  Granted, the music he's making has a more retro sound and isn't some large atmospheric EDM song.. He's putting the music first not any DAW.

21 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Can't seem to get a straight answer.  Do DAWS sound any different going in?  Seems like some say theirs minor differences, some say it's all placebo effect.  Interested to know.

I'd say you'd have to be a sensitive AF audiophile to notice.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Can't seem to get a straight answer.  Do DAWS sound any different going in?  Seems like some say theirs minor differences, some say it's all placebo effect.  Interested to know.

There isnt any difference. You can try it yourself. Import the same wav into two different daws and export it. If you flip the phase on one of the exported files and play them at the same time, it cancels out everything

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 4:09 PM, Neal said:

There isnt any difference. You can try it yourself. Import the same wav into two different daws and export it. If you flip the phase on one of the exported files and play them at the same time, it cancels out everything

I swear my trial version of Cubase sounds different than my Logic or Garageband on Mac when I record into it, am I nuts?

21 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

I swear my trial version of Cubase sounds different than my Logic or Garageband on Mac when I record into it, am I nuts?

There's probably something you're missing, if you're new to it. the software shouldn't make any difference to the input sound unless you tell it to. 

37 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

take any music file on your computer. import it into a empty session in cubase (no fx/no busses /nothing) then bounce the track. do the same with garageband. there will be no difference

Most cubase session presets (Rockband recording/ Pop Song recording/ Dance Production etc) have fx busses already hooked up when you open them, which might enhance the sound of your recording?

the  recording itself is 100% identical to what you would've recorded in garage band( if same sample/bitrate was used)

• Like 1

I think you guys are either biased or just don't want me to become famous.  Cubase sounds better. I'm stomaching the $500 cost and purchasing the full version.

just kidding, Neal was right there was a bunch of minor effects/equalizer stuff tacked on in Logic unless you go in there and turn it off. It was hidden so didn't see it.  At least I know I'm not going crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Logic is fkn SWEET.  Thanks @Kay . Huge shout out because I almost got suckered into the 'try this new expensive DAW, it might actually make you sound better' trap and wasted a lot of money.  Every single DAW is so friggin deep and jam-packed, you are fine, might as well work with what you know and it takes so much effort on the going in anyways. 

• Like 1