The Book Thread.

'Ah...Lex'

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember going into a Virginia Beach used book store asking if they had Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The old man behind the couunter told me that they didn't, but he "lived it".

Then he kinda gazed off into space and was quiet for 20 seconds.

I think I read that book every month, I'm not trying to be a fan boy but the way he writes is just amazing to me,

Raoul Duke: Well... It'll probably work out. We can keep her loaded and peddle her ass at the drug convention. Yeah. She's perfect for this gig. These cops will go fifty bucks a head to beat her into submission and then gang fuck her. We can set her up in one of these back street motels, hang pictures of Jesus all over the room, then turn these fucking pigs loose on her. Hell, she's strong, man. She'll hold her own.

Dr. Gonzo: Jesus Christ. I knew you were sick but I never expected to hear you actually say that kind of stuff, you filthy bastard.

Raoul Duke: Straight economics man. This girl is a God-send. Shit, she can make us a grand a day.

Dr. Gonzo: That's ugly, man. Stop talking like that.

Raoul Duke: I figure she can do about four at a time. If we keep her full of acid that's more like two grand a day. Maybe three.

Dr. Gonzo: Hold on, man. What if I just jump you and beat the dog shit out of you? Would that make you feel better? You filthy bastard.

Raoul Duke: Alright listen to me. In a few hours, she'll probably be sane enough to work herself into some kind of towering Jesus-based rage at the hazy recollection of being seduced by some kind of cruel Samoan who fed her liquor and LSD, dragged her to a Vegas hotel room and then savagely penetrated every orifice in her little body with his throbbing, uncircumcised member.

Dr. Gonzo: That's so ugly, man!

Raoul Duke: Fuck. Truth hurts.

This back and forth between Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo is probably the greatest thing I've ever read in my entire life, I don't know why but in every given day this runs through my mind and its awesome.

• 4 months later...

All I'm reading these days is stuff for uni, which is interesting enough but not quite the same. I'm ripping through Nietzsche's complete works pretty much, a lot of Classical Lit theory by Plato, Longinus, Burke etc. I'm reading Rawls' theory of justice for my dissertation.

When I do have some time to chill, i've been obsessed with Sherlock Holmes for a few months.

It's so difficult to find time to read outside of school, my motivation is so low. 

I wanted to read Life of Pi again, and some biographies (got one on Bob Dylan that I have yet to read).  Christmas break ftw.

Just finished reading that, pretty good book. The ending is amazing.

Reading Frankenstein right now, and I'm not feeling it.

• 5 months later...

My friend told me to check out this book since I love the zombie theme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z

Anyone read it?  Should I read The Zombie Survival Guide before reading it?

It's solidly entertaining. Brooks does a great job. I don't think you really need to read survival guide first, relevant information is all contained in wwz, and unlike survival guide, wwz has a plot and story arcs.

• 2 weeks later...