The problem with Selftitled

theedge00

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't catchy enough.... Seriously, there isn't one catchy verse/chorus on the whole album (except for Feeling This).

I think it's because they were experimenting (obviously) and everything was fairly new for them.....

I hope the next record will be as experimental as Selftitled, and as catchy as EOTS/TOYPAJ

you have a small penis

It isn't catchy enough.... Seriously, there isn't one catchy verse/chorus on the whole album (except for Feeling This).

I think it's because they were experimenting (obviously) and everything was fairly new for them.....

I hope the next record will be as experimental as Selftitled, and as catchy as EOTS/TOYPAJ

you have a small penis

LOL

you have a small penis

you have a small penis

i have a small penis

Thongrider you think that Cheshire Cat was there best work. No song on CC comes close to the thought they put on Untitled. Untitled is just something else. If you just want catchy songs I think your a bandwagon as said before.

I think dude ranch was their best work! cheshire cat followin! If you had a pancake to eat that you liked and if someone put a dogshit on your plate it would be something else, but it wouldn't mean you'd like it. No comparrasing to the S/t album though, it wasn't bad, but the lyrics, the melodys was not even close to dude ranch material! And I couldn't give 2 shits(or a billion shits for that matter) about how many "cool" special effects it has. And I don't see how I am jumping on a bandwagon, I have been liking blink since before s/t was(and that's not long) but if I started liking blink today, it wouldn't matter, cause that wouldn't be my fault.

Self titled is an amazing album, but the amount of songs I skip over is higher on it than any of their other records.

I think the problem with it is actually timing. They started as socal skatepunk and as they went they got poppier and more upbeat as they went, then all of a sudden hit us with an album full of, in general, slower, darker sounding songs. Aside from Feeling This, which was the "blinkiest" song on self-titled, nothing really felt or sounded like any of their old stuff.

So it wasn't bad, but it was a surprising shift, which happened both too suddenly and right in the middle of their hayday, and took fans a while to adjust to. When it first came out, I hated almost every song on it - now it's one of my favorite records, all considered.

1) i don't see how timing should matter, it's an album insubordinate of other albums!

2)I don't get whats darker about it, and it's not that slower either.

Agree to disagree here.  At first I didn't really like all of it and thought it was really different, but I've listened to it many times after and not only is it in fact catchy, it's just damn good music throughout.  The songs are catchy while being serious and thought provoking all at the same time.  I Miss You, Always, Down, Here's Your Letter, Stockholm Syndrome, Asthenia...I could go through the whole album.  Every song has something special about it and it's an awesome album overall.

But in regards to the topic, it IS catchy.

I've actually been thinking a lot about this album lately since Blink came back and I've been listening to it constantly.  It's really amazing how well they make a song both catchy with the music and how meaningful they make it with the lyrics.  It's just unmatched in my opinion.  They're incredibly creative guys who make some sweet music.

But does this opose dude ranch?

1) i don't see how timing should matter, it's an album insubordinate of other albums!

You can't just switch styles completely without warning like that and expect everyone to eat it all up. If we had been getting songs like the ones on self-titled slowly over the last few albums we probably wouldn't have even noticed the transition.

Really? Have you listened to it? Okay, maybe darker wasn't the right word... more mature? Edgier? - slower definitely was, it's slower paced and that's undeniable. Sure there's some faster songs on it but that's a minority. That's not really a bad thing, I'm just saying that the switch threw people off, we used to have one or two slower songs per album (Adam's Song, etc), self-titled has one or two faster songs.

You can't just switch styles completely without warning like that and expect everyone to eat it all up. If we had been getting songs like the ones on self-titled slowly over the last few albums we probably wouldn't have even noticed the transition.

Really? Have you listened to it? Okay, maybe darker wasn't the right word... more mature? Edgier? - slower definitely was, it's slower paced and that's undeniable. Sure there's some faster songs on it but that's a minority. That's not really a bad thing, I'm just saying that the switch threw people off, we used to have one or two slower songs per album (Adam's Song, etc), self-titled has one or two faster songs.

1) but that's the way a band turns and they just have to make what they feel.

2) More mature? NO FUCKING WAY!

slower? Feeling this might be one of the fastest song they did, so is violence and go. But some songs are slowe, so i can agree with that, but still most songs are fast. I miss you and I'm lost without you and Obvious are the slow ones.

i have a small penis

Guest THillingworth

I love Thongriders analogies.  Anyway Dude Ranch is the best album, followed by TOYPAJ and then Untitled.  Cheshire cat is next then EOTS.

Everyone knows that!

yeah

EVERYONE APART FROM ME!!!?!

problem with self titled is the author doesn't get the point of the album it isn't meant to be catchy neccessarily, its meant to be both experimental and to speak to you. Maybe that sounds crazy, but everyone has different favorite songs from the album, because different songs reach people in different ways.  I'd say the only problem (if there really even is one) with the album, is that there isn't enough of Mark's voice.  I'm not too worried about that this time though, because we know that Mark brought over a lot of demos he was going to use for solo/plus 44 stuff, so I'm guessing that would mean more of Mark's voice throughout as well

problem with self titled is the author doesn't get the point of the album it isn't meant to be catchy neccessarily, its meant to be both experimental and to speak to you. Maybe that sounds crazy, but everyone has different favorite songs from the album, because different songs reach people in different ways.  I'd say the only problem (if there really even is one) with the album, is that there isn't enough of Mark's voice.  I'm not too worried about that this time though, because we know that Mark brought over a lot of demos he was going to use for solo/plus 44 stuff, so I'm guessing that would mean more of Mark's voice throughout as well

Im hoping sick drumloops amazing harmonies and pyro at the show. ;  )