The Official Gaslight Anthem thread

Meltdown Tracker

^ Ouch, that sounds quite awful. Especially since Brian is such a lovely dude.

I've never managed to get super into his solo stuff but I loved Gaslight Anthem so I think I'll try to catch a show on this tour. Saw Gaslight in '13 or sth and I still think it's one of the best shows I've ever been to.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Madele said:

^ Ouch, that sounds quite awful. Especially since Brian is such a lovely dude.

I've never managed to get super into his solo stuff but I loved Gaslight Anthem so I think I'll try to catch a show on this tour. Saw Gaslight in '13 or sth and I still think it's one of the best shows I've ever been to.

His solo stuff is quite different from TGA. It's more folk and soul music than anything else, so it makes sense why you might not enjoy it as much. 

My favourite songs from his solo era are Neptune, Come Wander With Me, Etta James, Little Nightmares, Open All Night, Red Lights, and Rosemary. The 2nd half of Neptune might be some of the best songwriting I've ever heard. 

He put on a really great show though. He played a few songs on the piano (Painkillers on the piano was great) and told a lot of jokes/stories between songs. I've seen Brian Fallon/TGA six times now and they've put on a good show every single time with lots of energy and good set lists. I definitely recommend seeing him live, but he probably won't play any TGA songs (although you might get some of his Horrible Crowes stuff). 

• Like 2

Sooo ended up buying tickets after all heh, no return now. I'm seeing them in Sweden so I'm really curious about how big/small the crowd is going to be. 

I've been sitting down and given the stuff a proper listen. Better than I remembered actually. Have had Little Nightmares on my mind the entire day. Think I'm going to enjoy this.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I really enjoy the new track 'Horses' he put out recently. Very different style of song and tempo than you'd expect from Brian Fallon. The drums sound like something from Travis in the Cali onwards era. His last song, I Don't Mind (If I'm with You) just ripped off the She Loves You guitar riff though, that was lazy guitar writing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Speedo said:

I'd like to know how his approach to song writing changed from Sink or Swim/'59 Sound to Handwritten/Get Hurt.

I think he got more personal with his lyrics beginning with Handwritten, but especially with his divorce bleeding into The Horrible Crowes and Get Hurt. 

6 hours ago, Elisa said:

@Tom Bot @Maddey @Ghost or anyone else, I'm interviewing Brian on Monday, I'm working on my questions, but let me know in case you have some, it would help me a bit 🤞

That's awesome! I sometimes post at the Dime Store Saints forum and we've done a few interviews with him as well. My questions would be:

-Can we expect a reunion tour or new album from The Gaslight Anthem in the future? It's been 5 years since the hiatus was announced (I know they played some shows in 2018 for the 10 year anniversary of The '59 Sound, but a lot of fans didn't have the opportunity to go see a show). Has enough time passed where they feel like they could create another unique/different album? (I believe part of the reason for the hiatus was that they didn't want to make an album just for the sake of making an album, and wanted it to be special/different/have purpose - I don't have a source for that, but I do remember reading it in an interview somewhere).

-Brian has been playing the piano when he has toured as a solo artist. Has playing the piano changed his songwriting lately? Has he played piano on his records? (might be an obvious answer, but I don't own the physical copies of the albums).

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Elisa said:

@Tom Bot @Maddey @Ghost or anyone else, I'm interviewing Brian on Monday, I'm working on my questions, but let me know in case you have some, it would help me a bit 🤞

I don't know...

I would ask him about how he thinks all this situation can make people understand music nowadays. It's clear that, at least in some countries, there wil pass a few months before we can go to a show. So, now that the live experience is stopped, does he think people is going to re-think about music itself?

I don't know if this makes any sense. Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

I don't know...

I would ask him about how he thinks all this situation can make people understand music nowadays. It's clear that, at least in some countries, there wil pass a few months before we can go to a show. So, now that the live experience is stopped, does he think people is going to re-think about music itself?

I don't know if this makes any sense. Sorry.

He has been playing acoustic shows over live streams (Instagram recently), but I think this is a cool question. You could broaden it as well, like how he thinks the pandemic the will influence the music industry generally (no concerts/touring, probably issues with going into the recording studio, more stuff online, etc.)

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Tom Bot said:

He has been playing acoustic shows over live streams (Instagram recently), but I think this is a cool question. You could broaden it as well, like how he thinks the pandemic the will influence the music industry generally (no concerts/touring, probably issues with going into the recording studio, more stuff online, etc.)

Good point.

I also think this can be oriented from two different points of view. I mean, due to the evolution of the industry, the whole thing lately has been oriented for musicians to make a living out off the live shows. Now this has been demolished. We don't know when it all will be returning back to normal, so I guess a lot of musicians and not huge bands can be stressed on how this can affect to their incomes.

And second point of view: does he think this situation is going to put in value the old concept of 'record'? The music itself. Yeah, we have lots of streaming services, but in times like these in which almost anything can happen, I guess the record itself as physical object can be important?

• Love 1

I love these questions, thanks guys!

I think I will avoid mentioning The Gaslight Anthem and I will focus on the new album because I was going through some of his tweets yesterday and he hates that people still bring up Gaslight. I also read a recent interview where he went as far as to say that the 59 Sound reunion two years ago wasn't fun. It's a Skype interview, I hope he's in a good mood. 

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...