Question about the equipment used to record "Enema of the State"?

Thomas!

for the recording of "all the small things", tom used jerry finns gibson les paul with gold plated pickups

so thats why the palm muting on that song is heavier than the rest of the album, makes sense

Sounds like it may have been used on Whats my age again as well, esp when compared to dumpweed, aliens exist, party song etc

for the recording of "all the small things", tom used jerry finns gibson les paul with gold plated pickups

Actually, it was a gold-top les paul.  Not the same thing.  The one I'm thinking of probably had P90 pickups, and was used for the octave parts, according to the tracking sheet.  The other guitars were Tom's LP's.  The Musicman was definitely on Mutt and Dumpweed and might have been used on a couple of other bits as well.  Most of the bass parts are P Bass, but I believe the Wendy Clear was recorded with something that isn't the P or the Stingray.  Mark has said he used a Jazz Bass as well, so that might have been it.  I'd think that Tom used mostly the same stuff he'd take on tour (though I do think I read somewhere he used a Fender Bassman somewhere.)  Mark would have used an Ampeg SVT-CL (I know he had both SVT-3 and -4 PRO amps on tour, but that's because it was too expensive for him to tour with the CLs at the time.)

What about the amps?

Did he use only his Mesa Triple Rectifier or did he mix 3-4 amps like he sometimes did on the untitles record?

I guess he only used his Mesa, because they were recording to tape back then, right?

highly doubt he used the triple.... that amp is a bit of an overkill when it comes to recording,  I know cuz I used to own one.

What about the amps?

Did he use only his Mesa Triple Rectifier or did he mix 3-4 amps like he sometimes did on the untitles record?

I guess he only used his Mesa, because they were recording to tape back then, right?

highly doubt he used the triple.... that amp is a bit of an overkill when it comes to recording,  I know cuz I used to own one.

Hm, when isn't a mesa triple rectifier overkill?

I mean.. 150W..

Mark used his sig in

Adams song,

Aliens Exist

Going Away

Whats My

Dysentry

All The

Wendy Clear

I think he used the music man in :

Dumpweed

Dont Leave Me

Party Song

Mutt

Anthem

Listen to the bass carefully and you can hear the differences.

i think he used a jass bass for alot more stuff probs 4 songs. wendy clear stood out to me as a very clean jazz bass tone. i'm too lazy to go back and listen to the entire album to figure out something i'm wrong about and will never probably know the actual shit.

Maybe but he used a P bass in all the Enema videos, I know that isn't reliable but still.

I know Mark has always prefered the P bass sound with a J body (essentially what the Hoppus sig is) so I can't imagine why he would use a J for recording purposes

i think he used a jass bass for alot more stuff probs 4 songs. wendy clear stood out to me as a very clean jazz bass tone. i'm too lazy to go back and listen to the entire album to figure out something i'm wrong about and will never probably know the actual shit.

Maybe but he used a P bass in all the Enema videos, I know that isn't reliable but still.

I know Mark has always prefered the P bass sound with a J body (essentially what the Hoppus sig is) so I can't imagine why he would use a J for recording purposes

He used a sig bass, the red one, in the video for Adam's Song.  If you look at Seymour Duncan's website, it has Mark listed as an artist for one of their Jazz Bass pickups, and he said in an interview with Fender BassStreet magazine (this was in like 2001, on the Pop Disaster tour) that he'd used a Jazz, a P, and a Stingray on Enema, but the P was used on more tracks than anything else.

FWIW, I also hear Wendy Clear as a distinctly clear Jazz Bass.  It sounds completely different from the rest of the album.