The Official Football Topic

Cuth

I live down in London yeah. I think the Offensive Behaviour bill is a terrible idea. I think it was kinda rushed through as an emergency measure after the "shame game" in 2011 or whenever it was, so that the politicians looked like they were doing something to combat sectarianism at football. I don't think it was thought through well at all, the wording in it seems purposefully vague so that they can almost choose to prosecute whoever they want for doing almost anything at a football match.

The good news is, that in the years since it's been introduced, there's been a lot of opposition to it - not just from fans but from public organisations and similar (FAC). I think those in Holyrood are finally starting to realise that it's a fundamentally flawed piece of legislation, and I think there's a fairly good chance it will be repealed or at least rewritten at some point in the not too distant future. I can't remember the number exactly but a shockingly high number of cases which go to court as a result of the Offensive Behaviour bill just get thrown out of court cos they have no real legal basis.

Kill the bill!

I thought Liverpool did well, Swansea are in good form at the minute, beating you guys at home and Southampton away recently.

Ground out a result like good teams do and did a professional job to hold onto the lead in the second half. 

Either way, I think it will be a close match.

The first half - the game should have been over. worst i've seen Livepool play this season. The gk pulled off some amazing saves to keep them in the game. The second half was an improvement (as you'd expect) but it was still a flat performance.

I think if play the same team/formation from here on in we can go on a good run. 

The first half - the game should have been over. worst i've seen Livepool play this season. The gk pulled off some amazing saves to keep them in the game. The second half was an improvement (as you'd expect) but it was still a flat performance.

I think if play the same team/formation from here on in we can go on a good run. 

No way?! some of their performances earlier in the season were far worse than that, they'd have been 2-0 down if it were back in September/October or so. 

I think whoever gets the better of Sunday has the big advantage in the run in. 

Henderson is starting to look the real deal for me, yes he isn't Stevie G at his peak but who is? great player who is now adding goals and assists to his game. 

He had a quiet half, like a lot of players do. He has been immense the last couple of months and has been a big part in their improving league position. He'd get in your midfield. 

They we're awful - i can't think of a single meaningful attack. Even the commentators were saying it - Swansea should have been out of sight. Mignolet was outstanding.

i don't think he would - Carrick/Herrera/Blind/Mata all better imo. 

I don't think he's half the player you make him out to be, and question whether we're watching the same player sometimes. Even Liverpool fans are and have been on his case this season. He wouldn't be my captain at all, he's average at best imo. 

Shocking pens. Atletico through.

Arsenal were so close, should have started Ramsey from start. Absolute madness starting Coquelin.

Championship is hotting up, what a brilliant league. Watford are looking so strong now, really hope Bournemouth can do it though, Eddie Howe done a brilliant job there.

Fuck, that was tense. We were pretty poor in both legs. They were quite shite aswell, so none of the teams deserved to go through lol. We better step up our game or any of the teams in the quarterfinals will destroy us.

Raul García has got to be the worst player in La Liga since the beginning of the year.

I shat my pants coz my brother told me that Leverkusens keeper has had the most penalty saves in the last 5 seasons of the Bundesliga. (8/23).

Norwich seem to be letting it slip a bit now :( glad we got a draw, still feels like 2 points dropped though. Didn't see the game but was keeping up on twitter and it sounded like a really dodgy decision to disallow our first goal. Also, Vaughn ripping his shirt off and getting sent off is fucking hilarious, especially since when he played (breifly) for us we loved the guy!

They we're awful - i can't think of a single meaningful attack. Even the commentators were saying it - Swansea should have been out of sight. Mignolet was outstanding.

i don't think he would - Carrick/Herrera/Blind/Mata all better imo. 

I don't think he's half the player you make him out to be, and question whether we're watching the same player sometimes. Even Liverpool fans are and have been on his case this season. He wouldn't be my captain at all, he's average at best imo. 

You can't compare him to Mata at all as they are different players who play in different positions and I would personally take him over Blind and Herrera. Opinions vary in football. I think Herrera is a good player but you treat him as the second coming of Christ. 

I could say the same about Emre Can, you said he was absolutely shocking but I think he's proven himself to be a great asset to Liverpool even playing out of position this season. 

Football would be boring if we all agreed!

You can't compare him to Mata at all as they are different players who play in different positions and I would personally take him over Blind and Herrera. Opinions vary in football. I think Herrera is a good player but you treat him as the second coming of Christ. 

I could say the same about Emre Can, you said he was absolutely shocking but I think he's proven himself to be a great asset to Liverpool even playing out of position this season. 

Football would be boring if we all agreed!

Well Mata's played centrally alot this season and i think he done very well. He's got alot more in his locker than Henderson ever will. So you'd pick Carrick over Hendo then? I certainly would, only age would be the factor. 

For our midfield - Herrera has been exactly that - you'd be hard pressed to find any United fan who says otherwise. Like i said before we signed him - he's the perfect midfielder for what we were missing. Easily one of the stand out players for us this season. Our entire play revolves around him now - similar to Scholes in a way. He's also our best ball winner too which is something we've lacked recently. 

Still not impressed with Can - he's the same player i watched alot at Leverkusen. If this is what constitutes as good Liverpool players then i'll be very happy. Looked very suspect in the Swansea game. I'll definitely give him a chance - after all its still his debut season, maybe he just needs to settle in a regular position. 

I rate Carrick massively as a player, he is your most important midfielder by a mile. Keeps things ticking and gives you actual balance which allows the others to go do their thing. He does what Blind has been doing but does it better. I'd pick Henderson over him for his age now though obviously. I just love an old school box to box midfielder that can tackle, pass and get goals (which he is now doing) everyone is either a holding mid, or an attacking mid, or a no 10, or a wide midfielder etc...it's nice to see there are still players out there like him. I back him to continue to prove the doubters wrong. 

Mata might be a more technical player but when it comes to athleticism and the defensive side/all round game of a central midfielder Henderson (which is what you are saying Mata is this season) is streets ahead so would hardly say he has a lot more in his locker, only attacking wise could you make that argument. 

Comparing Herrera to Scholes can only maybe be done in playing style because when it comes down to actual ability and effectiveness, the Ginger one is absolutely streets ahead of what he is and ever will be. 

If these Liverpool players were so bad then they wouldn't be permanent fixtures in the only side that hasn't lost a league game in 2015 surely? they've been much better than you since the turn of the year, at gaining points as well as being a much better side to watch.

I rate Carrick massively as a player, he is your most important midfielder by a mile. Keeps things ticking and gives you actual balance which allows the others to go do their thing. He does what Blind has been doing but does it better. I'd pick Henderson over him for his age now though obviously. I just love an old school box to box midfielder that can tackle, pass and get goals (which he is now doing) everyone is either a holding mid, or an attacking mid, or a no 10, or a wide midfielder etc...it's nice to see there are still players out there like him. I back him to continue to prove the doubters wrong. 

Mata might be a more technical player but when it comes to athleticism and the defensive side/all round game of a central midfielder Henderson (which is what you are saying Mata is this season) is streets ahead so would hardly say he has a lot more in his locker, only attacking wise could you make that argument. 

Comparing Herrera to Scholes can only maybe be done in playing style because when it comes down to actual ability and effectiveness, the Ginger one is absolutely streets ahead of what he is and ever will be. 

If these Liverpool players were so bad then they wouldn't be permanent fixtures in the only side that hasn't lost a league game in 2015 surely? they've been much better than you since the turn of the year, at gaining points as well as being a much better side to watch.

So if they were both the same age - you would pick Carrick? That's exactly my point - even now i would pick Carrick every time. 

Thats exactly why i would pick Mata - purely for his superior attacking and technical ability. Any combination of Blind/Carrick/Herrera/Mata (either in a 2 man midfield or 3) is better than any combination with Henderson in it imo - i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. 

I never said Herrera is the new Paul Scholes haha, just said they are very similar in the way they play the game - short, sharp, effective and clever passes. 

Erm on to your last point.. you realise currently they are 5th in the league - that's why! A season isn't defined by 'since 2015' :)

Messi was sublime last night.

That Barca team are good going forward, nowhere near the team they were though from '09-'11

City were very lucky hart was on form and Barca couldn't finish because it could have been 5 or 6 last night,