The Official Football Topic

Cuth

Poor first half but much better in the second and deserved the win in the end, Payet making it all happen again with an assist and stunning free kick but Valencia's wasn't bad either.

4 wins on the bounce in all comps, 3 of those in the league and up to 5th after losing only 4 of our 21 games - exciting times to be a Hammer.

Even though it feels like a loss, was like watching United of old last night - soo much better. Having true wingers making runs and taking on players is what we've missed badly. 

Couple of observations: 

Thought the Ref got both penalty's spot on.

Fellaini, stands out like a sore thumb in this midfield - awful again last night.

Herrera as a number 10 should keep that role - thought he was excellent.

Mata should keep his place on the bench- not got the pace to counter attack.

Smalling had a shocker - but probably due a bad game due to how well he's played this season.

Memphis Depay again not taking the easy route out and costing us the third Newcastle goal. 

Hope LVG sticks with this team - with the exception of Fellaini for either Carrick or BS.

I only saw the highlights as was watching our game so can't say too much but it looks to me that when you try to attack the defending goes to shit and then when you defend well you offer nothing going forward. LVG and the team needs to find a balance, similar thing happened when you created a lot of chances against Wolfsburg.

No idea why Fellaini keeps getting played as a holding midfielder, the only thing he offered before was a goal threat but all he does now is miss absolute sitters, needs a move ASAP, might be able to find some form elsewhere.

Hopefully you can make a push to win the Europa League next year after we've nicked your CL spot...

The only use for him last night, was to head away set pieces. Constant fouling and breaking the momentum of our play. And when he gets a perfect opportunity to score with his head he heads it straight at the keeper. 

I hope we never even attempt to win that piece of shit trophy - about 10 years ago or so it actually used to mean something. UEFA has fucked that up too. 

If we play the way we did last night, we'll find some form. Bring on Liverpool.

Think Europa League is still a good trophy to win, you never know....you might need it to get into the CL next season.

You can't play the way you played last night and find form though, this is the problem with the current United side - balance, it's either mind numbingly dull with the team creating no chances and being really solid at the back, or creating loads of chances and scoring goals and defending like mugs. There doesn't seem to be an in between at the minute, if you find that then you will get CL...if you don't then I think you COULD slip out. 

Chelsea win tonight they will be 8 points off you, I stuck a cheeky tenner on them just before Mourinho got sacked for them to finish in the top 4 at 25/1, that has now closed in to 6/1 - seriously wouldn't put it past them if they can get a good run of form together and with everyone else dropping points. 

Well we can - remember the run last year where we beat Liverpool, City and i think Spurs during a good run - i think in 25 games (all comps) we only lost 2/3 of them. Scoring goals and not conceding much. I could see your point if the goals we conceded last night were team goals - but they were down to individual error mostly by one player. We also could have scored alot more than 3 - at least 2/3 guilt edge chances which should have killed the game,

There's definitely a realistic possibility of us slipping out or even Chelsea overtaking us, but i wouldn't rule us out just yet still long way to go. 

I genuinely think swapping Felliani for Carrick or BS will shore things up, particularity with BS alongside Morgan. Fellaini is has already proved that he is a liability at DM this season. That one change an we go back to being a little more solid. The front 4 have pace to burn and should keep their place - no place for Mata right now. 

I personally don't think it is a good competition -  even for smaller teams, the financial reward is ridiculous. Even your own David Gold said the same thing - i also think the Champions league should only consist of teams that finished 1st or 2nd (3rd plays qualifying match) in their respected leagues. 

1 minute ago, Roux said:

Well we can - remember the run last year where we beat Liverpool, City and i think Spurs during a good run - i think in 25 games (all comps) we only lost 2/3 of them. Scoring goals and not conceding much. I could see your point if the goals we conceded last night were team goals - but they were down to individual error mostly by one player. We also could have scored alot more than 3 - at least 2/3 guilt edge chances which should have killed the game,

There's definitely a realistic possibility of us slipping out or even Chelsea overtaking us, but i wouldn't rule us out just yet still long way to go. 

I genuinely think swapping Felliani for Carrick or BS will shore things up, particularity with BS alongside Morgan. Fellaini is has already proved that he is a liability at DM this season. That one change an we go back to being a little more solid. The front 4 have pace to burn and should keep their place - no place for Mata right now. 

I personally don't think it is a good competition -  even for smaller teams, the financial reward is ridiculous. Even your own David Gold said the same thing - i also think the Champions league should only consist of teams that finished 1st or 2nd (3rd plays qualifying match) in their respected leagues. 

The Europa League money has gone up a lot this season. Combine that with ticket sales and it comes to a decent amount. Maybe not by EPL team standards but for smaller teams in other leagues it's really good money.

25 minutes ago, ruaraidhlando45 said:

The Europa League money has gone up a lot this season. Combine that with ticket sales and it comes to a decent amount. Maybe not by EPL team standards but for smaller teams in other leagues it's really good money.

For an EPL team - its just not worth it. 60 million each Barca and Juve got last year compared to 14 for Sevilla. Its good for teams in the EPL outside the top 6 and outside the major leagues. Hence why in England the teams usually field a weaker side. Spurs, Swansea, Liverpool and West Ham etc don't really care much for it. That's starting to trickle into Europe now - Dortmund have started putting out weaker teams for example. For Spain/Italy/Germany its probably a bigger draw because the same teams usually occupy the top 2/3 places, 

United have a better chance of UCL football by getting into the top 4 rather than via the Europa league. To do both with the thin squad we have is nearly impossible. 

2 hours ago, Roux said:

I just don't think your defenders are as good as they've looked this season to be honest, they have benefited from a very defensive approach with two central midfielders playing very deep and shielding them, as soon as they're left to their own devices the goals start get banged in from the opposition, this is a team who is 3rd from bottom lets remember, not like you were playing a top side. 

Don't think your front 4 is all that either, Depay looks like he isn't up for the fight of the Prem and wants to go play in a mickey mouse league where he can bang in 20 goals a season without trying. Rooney needs to string together a few performances before we can talk about him being top class again. Martial has bags of potential and could be world class but is not the finished article and Mata/Herrera but seem to be struggling to really get their United careers going...(more so Mata to be fair)

Also Martial is a striker, plays on the wing...Mata is a no 10, plays on the wing, Herrera is a central midfielder, plays no 10 - square pegs, round holes.

Europa is a decent competition to win, trophies are trophies - you've got enough money, why not try and win something? I can't see you winning a league title or CL anytime soon so it might be worth a go, all I'm saying. 

Fucking gutted after last night, I just don't know where we go from here. I thought our defence was solid but it clearly isn't, we're just a mess from top to bottom. Nobody seems to have a fucking clue at the club. While I don't give a fuck for Pep if United go for Giggs and City get Pep then the club deserves everything that's going to come there way. It will send us back fucking years. Will be very embarrassing when Giggs turns out to be shit and you just know the club will hang onto him because they'll be too embarrassed to sack him, next thing you know 6/7 years have passed and United are just meh, the transformation into Liverpool will be complete and history will repeat itself while city and Chelsea the disgusting oil cunts are winning everything in sight. I'm overreacting I know but I seriously think United are fucked here. The board is a fucking shambles. We're a mess.

This is so easily fixable but the cunts in charge will not do it. Louis needs to stay in charge till end of season then a new manager needs to come in and Giggs can fuck off and prove himself. Why should he get the United job? It's a joke. Gone right off him, when Rooney made is 3-2 Giggs looked gutted on bench. Fucking cunt. All his mates in the media too calling for Louis to be sacked. It's a disgrace. They can all fuck off. Fergie included. The club needs to move forward ffs, they're not bigger than Manchester United. They need to fuck off.

Rooney was fantastic last night btw, I know I slag him off all the time but he deserves credit when he play well and I thought he was magnificent. 

Im gonna go through team later and say who needs to fuck off and who'd I'd bring in. Not that anyone cares but I'll be bored and yeah fuck you.

Keep. Squad players in brackets - Dave (if possible), Martial, Shaw, Smalling, Blind(squad) Rojo(squad) Herrera, Memphis, Januzaj(squad) Rooney, Schneiderlin, Darmian, Young(squad), Mata(squad), Basti(squad), Carrick(squad, but heard he's retiring)

Sell - Jones, Valencia, Fellaini, Romero, Lingard

--------------------------------

Buy. I think it's important that United have a strong group of English/British lads. 

Butland - I really like him, still young and looks like he has the bollocks to play for United, English too.

Stones - Very talented player, still young and also English, think he and Smalling could be a very classy partnership.

Barkley - Scouse cunt but very good young player, English. He's a bit brain dead and tends to make wrong decisions but fuck me if he could get that right what a player he's going to be

Griezmann - Absolute fucking worldy. Loves United apparently. Big mates with Martial and Schneiderlin, make it happen, give him mega wages. If not then I wouldn't mind Mahrez.

Pogba or Verratti - need a young and energetic player in the midfield, we lack that with Carrick, Basti and Scheniderlin needs someone like that beside him. 

1392220_Manchester_United.jpg

Bench - Keeper, Rojo, Young, Rooney, Blind, Herrera, Basti

pretty good bench and good first 11 who are built more for the future. 

Not a bad team, ambitious as I think some of those targets would be very difficult to get...and some might have more attractive options if they decided to leave their respective clubs.

I think Stones/Mahrez/Barkley are very realistic, Griezmann is 50/50 but Pogba and Verratti would be very surprising to me if you managed to lure them.

I have to say I'm not too sure on Darmian either, he started strong but hasn't impressed me since - prob doesn't help LVG loves playing him at left back. Have United fans now realised as well that Daley Blind is not a centre back? he looked alright when he had two holding mids wrapping him in cotton wool but when left to his own devices he is poor. 

I think Blind's been one of our best players this season. He's done a decent job at CB, but i think most United fans would like to see him in the Carrick role. He's prone to individual mistakes and clumsiness - but i think he's been okay in that position. Is there really any other option? McNair/Jones are shit and Rojo is out for the season. 

Darmian is much better at RB, he's doesn't look comfortable at LB - thought he's done well the last few games and found a bit of form, last 15 mins at Newcastle was awful though.  Loosing both Shaw and Valencia has been a real bitch for us. 

I'd have any of these bunch: Stones, Dembele, Griezmann, Matuidi, Hector Herrera, Bale, Aubameyang   - think those are realistic targets.  

No chance on bale.

swansea are going down lads. Best team they've ever had too. I've heard some shocking rumours , the club used to be so well run but fuck me it's an absolute shambles atm. These rumours of chairmen and players wives is shocking. No wonder they're playing like cunts eh?

Chairman allegedly fucked Dyer and Shelvey missus that's why they've both gone and monk backed the chairman and not the players hence why he lost the dressing room. Just rumours of course but I've heard it off a few people I trust and seems to be the talk around Swansea atm

so madrid and atletico have been banned from buying players for two windows. Haha fucking dodgy cunts these Spanish teams.