The Official Football Topic

Cuth

what a player Jesus looks btw. Hopefully he won't be there long. Manchester City ffs [emoji23][emoji23] they're still a non entity. Nobody gives a fuck about them. 

Lost my shit when he fouled Rashford last night. But yeah, looks like he's a top player. He'll probably end up at Barca or Real.

5 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Don't say that ffs

i know ha. But hes got the same running style and movement, looks deadly in the box too. Mind you - so does Rashford. There's nothing better then seeing Rashford burn past defenders for fun.

Excuses everywhere. ;)

I'll give you the injuries and the amount of games United played (although they still had a pretty good team yesterday) but bringing up that the most expensive player in the world was missing made me lol. :rolleyes: They massively overpaid for Pogba and he was a disappointment most of the year. 

2 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Excuses everywhere. ;)

I'll give you the injuries and the amount of games United played (although they still had a pretty good team yesterday) but bringing up that the most expensive player in the world was missing made me lol. :rolleyes: They massively overpaid for Pogba and he was a disappointment most of the year. 

i dont see it - its just the usual shit rival fans say because he cost so much. He's been good (not great) for United, young player in his first season - he's massively transformed our midfield - he was badly missed last night. His stats are incredible - i genuinely think people don't watch him play week in week out - he's only going to get better and better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roux said:

i dont see it - its just the usual shit rival fans say because he cost so much. He's been good (not great) for United, young player in his first season - he's massively transformed our midfield - he was badly missed last night. His stats are incredible - i genuinely think people don't watch him play week in week out - he's only going to get better and better. 

Ok I didn't watch every game of him this season but I watched a fair amount of games to be able to assess that.

Sure he was missing yesterday (would be horrendous if such an expensive player wasn't missed at all) but he was massively overpaid and was below expectations, even you United fans on the board said it at numerous occasions. The funniest thing is that they let him walk for free a few years ago and now paid a shitload of money to get him back  

Silva for example was missed for $hity as well yesterday. Great players are missed, that's how it is...

Fergie let him go because his attitude was shit. Jose bought him back. It's not like a manager let him go for free and then the same manager brought him back. I've slagged pogba off loads this season but if anyone was wondering what does he do last night showed it. We missed him big time. Our midfield consisted of fellaoni who is clumsy and not mobile enough, Herrera who's a good player but then we also had carrick, yes carrick is quality player but our midfield was always going to be overrun last night. City's team is much much better than ours so pep has failed massively imo and Jose has done a GREAT job in what he's got. 

Havent been beaten since October in the league. Once we add a couple mobile midfielders and one or two quality forwards we will be some fucking force.

also how good is bailly? He's fucking incredible. He made Sane look like Stewart Downing

46 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Ok I didn't watch every game of him this season but I watched a fair amount of games to be able to assess that.

Sure he was missing yesterday (would be horrendous if such an expensive player wasn't missed at all) but he was massively overpaid and was below expectations, even you United fans on the board said it at numerous occasions. The funniest thing is that they let him walk for free a few years ago and now paid a shitload of money to get him back  

Silva for example was missed for $hity as well yesterday. Great players are missed, that's how it is...

Well its really no secret that we overpay on most players - been that way for a while now. 

90m is crazy - but we'll get 10 years outta him in his prime - that's less than 10m a season. So in that aspect i think it will be worth it. People said the exact same thing about Rio Ferdinand - in the end he was a bargin  

Having watched every game - i'd say he's had a fairly decent/normal first season, under a new manager with new players and playing different positions. Right now i would say - Herrea, Pogba and De Gea are the most important players at the club - potentially Rashford too. Herrera and Pogba have made us more dynamic, versatile and technically better - whatever we win in the next few years - those two will play a massive part in it.

We never let him go - he wanted to leave, he made himself an elite player during that time and we bought him back - don't really see what the problem is there. And do you really think 90m is going to hurt United in return for a top class midfielder? Drop in the ocean. 

IMO - there's not many central midfielders that can do everything, i can't think of anyone but Pogba. A few seasons ago i would have said Yaya Toure too.

But they should have at least negotiated a "buying back" clause before letting him go to Juventus. That's how you do it normally when a highly talented player wants to leave your club so you don't have to look like a fool paying a shotload of money to get him back. 

6 minutes ago, Osgod said:

But they should have at least negotiated a "buying back" clause before letting him go to Juventus. That's how you do it normally when a highly talented player wants to leave your club so you don't have to look like a fool paying a shotload of money to get him back. 

How can you insert a clause on a free transfer/expired contract? 

29 minutes ago, Roux said:

How can you insert a clause on a free transfer/expired contract? 

Offer him more than Juventus had, he signs with you and then you give him away on a loan to Juventus with the possibilitiy to get him back after x season, otherwise Juventus can buy him...something like that.

Or treat the player differently beforehand so he doesn´t even want to leave. And he seemed to still like it in Manchester otherwise he wouldn´t have decided to come back last summer.

29 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Offer him more than Juventus had, he signs with you and then you give him away on a loan to Juventus with the possibilitiy to get him back after x season, otherwise Juventus can buy him...something like that.

Or treat the player differently beforehand so he doesn´t even want to leave. And he seemed to still like it in Manchester otherwise he wouldn´t have decided to come back last summer.

We did - but he didn't want money, he wanted to play for the first team (which at that time was impossible given the players we had at the time). You have to remember he was 18 at the time - i'm sure they explored a loan deal. 

Your second point is easy to say in hindsight and living in an ideal/perfect  world. You cannot be a club the size of United (or any club for that matter) and have everyone get what they want - some do and some don't. We have some outstanding players now who are pretty pissed off at not being in the first team like Forsu-Mensah and Andreas Perieira and they could do the same as Pogba, on the otherside Rashford and Lingard are getting games. 

You are for sure right with most things you say but after reading some pieces about the departer of Pogba back then (e.g. https://www.google.at/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/football/697811/Manchester-United-Paul-Pogba-Juventus-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Jose-Mourinho-Premier-League-Sport/amp), there were clearly some major missed opportunities and mistakes which lead to his exit.

10 minutes ago, Osgod said:

You are for sure right with most things you say but after reading some pieces about the departer of Pogba back then (e.g. https://www.google.at/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/football/697811/Manchester-United-Paul-Pogba-Juventus-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Jose-Mourinho-Premier-League-Sport/amp), there were clearly some major missed opportunities and mistakes which lead to his exit.

No different to most young players playing at top clubs - like i said before, some players it worked, others it didn't. I'm sure there's many players United could (in hindsight) dealt better with (Pique/Keane/Rossi/Shawcross etc) - just like any other club really. Ultimately the manager decides who is ready or not - in that case he was obviously proved wrong years later. 

1 hour ago, Roux said:

No different to most young players playing at top clubs - like i said before, some players it worked, others it didn't. I'm sure there's many players United could (in hindsight) dealt better with (Pique/Keane/Rossi/Shawcross etc) - just like any other club really. Ultimately the manager decides who is ready or not - in that case he was obviously proved wrong years later. 

True, the only difference to the other players is the shitload of money United paid afterwards to get him back which provides a pretty bad look in my opinion.