The Official Football Topic

Cuth

8 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Woodward is an absolute clown, disastrous window once again from him, some good signings but the way that the Maguire process was handled is shocking and I think you needed at least another two big players in the door. Where is the DoF as well?

Relatively happy with our window, Fornals and Haller look good, this new striker we're in for today from Basel looks tidy and is basically a done deal and we've got a young Portuguese CB with potential - would of maybe liked another more experienced one through the door but isn't looking likely. 

One thing that worries me from preseason is we look a bit top heavy, was at the Bilbao game on Saturday and only Rice was properly holding with Anderson, Wilshere, Fornals and Lanzini ahead of him - think that could work against lesser teams where we're high up the pitch as they all keep the ball and are tidy in possession...but if we play like that against City on Saturday it's going to be an absolute bloodbath.  

Disastrous is a bit of an overreaction. What was shocking about the Maguire transfer? Made some good signings - Maguire wouldn't have been my choice. but no doubt he's a massive upgrade on what we have now. Bissaka is solid and James a raw talent that is going to be a handful. All young and all British. No point getting players who don't want to be here. 

I don't think we need a DoF - the manager should know whats needed. 

27 minutes ago, pong said:

i hope he finds a way to encourage some indiviiduals to really work for the team. as seen last season, when they really fight, so muchnis possible. 

This and they really really need to work on their fitness - pre-season was encouraging with the young energy. But United players were fucked after 70 mins last season. Not good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Bucko said:

Mixed transfer window for me. We desperately needed to address CB and nothing has been done. My only hope at this point is that Holding returns from injury sooner than first thought and can pick up where he left off pre-injury.

Happy we have signed young players, I think Martinelli will be a great impact sub for us this season, absolutely rapid. 

Cabellos looks a tidy midfielder, however,  it's hard to judge from a few minutes in pre-season.

I have no idea what to expect from Pepe but £72 million has astonished me. 

Hopeful Saliba will be a good signing for next season.  

Given Chelsea's situation and losing Hazard then I think top 4 is very realistic for us, especially if our attack is firing on all cylinders. I don't see Maguire being the saviour of United's back 4 either and can't see them improving from 6th.

Was Pepe even needed? Seemed like signing a first team CB or two was an absolute must. I have no idea who any of those players are so i can't really comment on! 

2 minutes ago, Roux said:

Was Pepe even needed? Seemed like signing a first team CB or two was an absolute must. I have no idea who any of those players are so i can't really comment on! 

We needed to address RW, I would have been happy for Nelson to make the step up if it meant the £72million being spent on a CB. Can't believe we're heading into the season with Mustafi at CB still, woeful.

Martinelli is a kid from Brazillian second division, but he has really shone in pre-season.

9 minutes ago, Roux said:

Disastrous is a bit of an overreaction. What was shocking about the Maguire transfer? Made some good signings - Maguire wouldn't have been my choice. but no doubt he's a massive upgrade on what we have now. Bissaka is solid and James a raw talent that is going to be a handful. All young and all British. No point getting players who don't want to be here. 

I don't think we need a DoF - the manager should know whats needed. 

The fact it was dragged out for so long, then Bailly got injured and Man United's balls were in Leicesters hands after that. The signing itself is a good one but I think an experienced football man could of handled it a lot better, he comes from a Commercial background, not a football one and I reckon that probably shows when trying to negotiate. 

I agree Bissaka is a good signing and James has potential too, just thought you could of done with another couple of faces. 

I think DoF is pretty impotant these days, especially with an inexperienced manager - this isn't 1995 where you have a manager and about 4 backroom staff, times have moved on and all the top clubs in the world that are excelling are operating this way. 

22 minutes ago, Bucko said:

How's Wilshere's preseason been?

My wish is for him to have an injury free season, too much talent - same as Diaby.

Wilshere has looked tidy in preseason and even chipped in with a rare goal on Saturday, he can clearly be an asset if he stays fit as everyone knows, that is a huge if...

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

The fact it was dragged out for so long, then Bailly got injured and Man United's balls were in Leicesters hands after that. The signing itself is a good one but I think an experienced football man could of handled it a lot better, he comes from a Commercial background, not a football one and I reckon that probably shows when trying to negotiate. 

I agree Bissaka is a good signing and James has potential too, just thought you could of done with another couple of faces. 

I think DoF is pretty impotant these days, especially with an inexperienced manager - this isn't 1995 where you have a manager and about 4 backroom staff, times have moved on and all the top clubs in the world that are excelling are operating this way. 

I don't think it was that long - we had to compete with City who also wanted him. so Leicester could sit back and have a bidding war between the clubs. No point trying to go in with a huge offer right off the bat. I can't see anything United did wrong there. Same situation for Bissaka really - if felt like ages, but it was a few weeks of negotiation. 

Agree we should have brought in 2 more at least - but those nearly deals were for players who didn't really want to join United, so its kind of a bullet dodged. 

I think it's clear what we needed - you don't need a DoF for that. We have a huge scouting network and i think Ole wants to call the shots like most managers do - even if they have a DoF. I don't believe anything Poch says about not making decisions at Spurs - i guarantee he calls the shots and Levy makes them happen. 

This batch of young players look really really good - so even if Ole struggles this season, i think he'll have given some of them gametime like LVG did.

2 hours ago, Bucko said:

We needed to address RW, I would have been happy for Nelson to make the step up if it meant the £72million being spent on a CB. Can't believe we're heading into the season with Mustafi at CB still, woeful.

Martinelli is a kid from Brazillian second division, but he has really shone in pre-season.

Doesn't Mhki/ Ozil play on the right? 

How do you think you'll line up with Pepe, Laca, Ozil, Auby in the lineup? 

Luiz and Tierney to Arsenal tomorrow 

Lo Celso and Sessegnon to Spurs

So where the fuck is Bruno Fernandes going? He’s not gonna stay at Sporting surely. He’s had an incredible season so why isn’t anyone taking a punt on him??

8 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Luiz and Tierney to Arsenal tomorrow 

Lo Celso and Sessegnon to Spurs

So where the fuck is Bruno Fernandes going? He’s not gonna stay at Sporting surely. He’s had an incredible season so why isn’t anyone taking a punt on him??

The Portuguese press just wanted to sell papers i think. Sounds like nobody was in for him.  

3 hours ago, Roux said:

Doesn't Mhki/ Ozil play on the right? 

How do you think you'll line up with Pepe, Laca, Ozil, Auby in the lineup? 

I want to see 4-2-3-1 this season. 

Laca

Auba Ozil Pepe

Guendouzi Torreira

Tierney? Holding Sokratis Bellerin

Leno

Problem is we're arsenal. We will get an insufferable amount of long term injuries to key players. 

• Like 1

Predictions 19/20

Top Four (In Order) - man city, liverpool, man united, chelsea

Relegation - sheff united, Brighton, Norwich 

Top Goal Scorer - salah

Best Signing - kean 

Worst Signing - 

Surprise Package (team) - everton

First Manager Sacked - steve bruce

Fa Cup - man city

League Cup - man city

Europa League - man United 

Champions League Barcelona 

7 hours ago, Bucko said:

I want to see 4-2-3-1 this season. 

Laca

Auba Ozil Pepe

Guendouzi Torreira

Tierney? Holding Sokratis Bellerin

Leno

Problem is we're arsenal. We will get an insufferable amount of long term injuries to key players. 

Guendouzi ? don’t be mental. Ceballos is a fucking baller. He’s straight into your midfield. Best midfielder you got 

5 hours ago, prankerd14 said:

Predictions 19/20

Top Four (In Order) - man city, liverpool, man united, chelsea

Relegation - sheff united, Brighton, Norwich 

Top Goal Scorer - salah

Best Signing - kean 

Worst Signing - 

Surprise Package (team) - everton

First Manager Sacked - steve bruce

Fa Cup - man city

League Cup - man city

Europa League - man United 

Champions League Barcelona 

United third? ? I’ll be amazed if we get higher than 7th

2 hours ago, Scott. said:

Guendouzi ? don’t be mental. Ceballos is a fucking baller. He’s straight into your midfield. Best midfielder you got 

I don't know enough about him, don't really watch much of La Liga other than the ITV4 matches, so can't claim to be an expert on him l. I liked how tidy he looked pre-season, but I would like Guendouzi to get a chance to really develop this season, he has ridiculous potential. 

20 minutes ago, Roux said:

No chance - he's not good enough and i think he's a little bit of a show pony. I think Greenwood and Chong are worth the risk - what do you think?

Not sold on Chong. Think Greenwood is a star and should start vs Chelsea. I hope Gomes gets games too

12 minutes ago, Bucko said:

I don't know enough about him, don't really watch much of La Liga other than the ITV4 matches, so can't claim to be an expert on him l. I liked how tidy he looked pre-season, but I would like Guendouzi to get a chance to really develop this season, he has ridiculous potential. 

Really? I think he’s utter turd