The Official Football Topic

Cuth

Gomez was the first Liverpool player to arrive at the training base and was laughing with a group of England team-mates when Sterling walked in around lunchtime.

Sky Sports News understands the Manchester City forward took offence then said to Gomez "you think you're the big man now?" and there was laughter as other players thought it was 'banter'.

Sterling is then thought to have walked up to Gomez and tried to grab his neck, to which Gomez reacted angrily, and the two players were separated by team-mates before leaving the canteen.

That is when Liverpool captain and senior England midfielder Jordan Henderson is believed to have stepped in to play peacemaker.

Henderson, who is yet to arrive at St George's Park, was tipped off by a member of staff at Liverpool about the falling out, so arranged for both Sterling and Gomez to meet in one of the players' bedrooms.

It is there where Henderson mediated on the phone while both players gave their explanations of the events at Anfield and the England canteen, and it is understood the call lasted approximately 25 minutes.

Sterling is understood to have apologised to Gomez, the two players ended the discussion as friends and, for them, the matter is at an end.

Sterling also confirmed in a subsequent Instagram post that Gomez and had "figured things out and moved on".

Gomez is also understood to have issued a personal plea to manager Gareth Southgate not to send Sterling home.

The England boss has decided dropping him for the next European Qualifier against Montenegro on Thursday is punishment enough.

Jordan Henderson is a proper leader, people underestimate him on and off the pitch - you aren't made captain by Klopp if you're a bad player.

That cross for Mane on Sunday was sensational and he was also playing through illness. 

5 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Gomez was the first Liverpool player to arrive at the training base and was laughing with a group of England team-mates when Sterling walked in around lunchtime.

Sky Sports News understands the Manchester City forward took offence then said to Gomez "you think you're the big man now?" and there was laughter as other players thought it was 'banter'.

Sterling is then thought to have walked up to Gomez and tried to grab his neck, to which Gomez reacted angrily, and the two players were separated by team-mates before leaving the canteen.

That is when Liverpool captain and senior England midfielder Jordan Henderson is believed to have stepped in to play peacemaker.

Henderson, who is yet to arrive at St George's Park, was tipped off by a member of staff at Liverpool about the falling out, so arranged for both Sterling and Gomez to meet in one of the players' bedrooms.

It is there where Henderson mediated on the phone while both players gave their explanations of the events at Anfield and the England canteen, and it is understood the call lasted approximately 25 minutes.

Sterling is understood to have apologised to Gomez, the two players ended the discussion as friends and, for them, the matter is at an end.

Sterling also confirmed in a subsequent Instagram post that Gomez and had "figured things out and moved on".

Gomez is also understood to have issued a personal plea to manager Gareth Southgate not to send Sterling home.

The England boss has decided dropping him for the next European Qualifier against Montenegro on Thursday is punishment enough.

Jordan Henderson is a proper leader, people underestimate him on and off the pitch - you aren't made captain by Klopp if you're a bad player.

That cross for Mane on Sunday was sensational and he was also playing through illness. 

You still on about Henderson 😂

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

He’s fucking turd. The epitome of meh. Wouldn’t swap Mctominay for him. Genuine 

Haha, fucking hell, behave. 

You said a few months back that you rated him and he'd walk into Man Uniteds midfield, make your mind up...

49 minutes ago, Roux said:

😂 'Proper' leader

Didn't you say Fred was 'sooooo good' the other day after a couple of half decent games against fucking minnows? you can't mock anyones opinions when you're dropping comments like that

Henderson is captain of the current CL holders and runaway Premier League leaders, you honestly think Klopp stands for mugs? he shipped out a lot of deadwood over the past few years, there must be a pretty good reason why he has never moved Henderson on surely? he always stands up to be counted in the big games and leads by example (Sunday and Barca comeback are two great examples) - he might not be the most technically gifted player but he does what he needs to do better than most - if he played for Man United and was called Henderinho you'd be choking on his dick. 

Or would you have rather have a showpony like Pogba who has far more natural ability but only does it for you once every 5 games and gets injured all the time?

31 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Haha, fucking hell, behave. 

You said a few months back that you rated him and he'd walk into Man Uniteds midfield, make your mind up...

Didn't you say Fred was 'sooooo good' the other day after a couple of half decent games against fucking minnows? you can't mock anyones opinions when you're dropping comments like that

Henderson is captain of the current CL holders and runaway Premier League leaders, you honestly think Klopp stands for mugs? he shipped out a lot of deadwood over the past few years, there must be a pretty good reason why he has never moved Henderson on surely? he always stands up to be counted in the big games and leads by example (Sunday and Barca comeback are two great examples) - he might not be the most technically gifted player but he does what he needs to do better than most - if he played for Man United and was called Henderinho you'd be choking on his dick. 

Or would you have rather have a showpony like Pogba who has far more natural ability but only does it for you once every 5 games and gets injured all the time?

He was good in that match - which he was... What are you crying about? Never once said he's been brilliant in every game, another case of you making things up... you can't mock anyone opinion when you can't read their comments properly! 

That 'show pony' is statistically one of the best players in the league, hence why he was in the team of the year last season! 

Player stops a fight and you give us the proper captain speech... fucking hilarious. We get it, hes good in the dressing room and can stop the odd dispute - most teams have a player like this. 

VVD always seems to be the main leader on the pitch when i watch Liverpool. 

You're a top fan though, you go to games so your opinion means more. Cool.

3 minutes ago, Roux said:

He was good in that match - which he was... What are you crying about? Never once said he's been brilliant in every game, another case of you making things up... 

That 'show pony' is statistically one of the best players in the league, hence why he was in the team of the year last season! 

Player stops a fight and you give us the proper captain speech... fucking hilarious. We get it, hes good in the dressing room and can stop the odd dispute - most teams have a player like this. 

VVD always seems to be the main leader on the pitch when i watch Liverpool. 

Not crying - merely making a point, your exact words are 'Fred is soo fucking good!' not implying that he was just good in that particular match...

Why is Henderson still captain of Liverpool then? wasn't Naby Keita meant to have replaced him by now? 

You'd be surprised, football lacks traditional and natural leaders these days - plenty of teams are lacking in them. 

7 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Not crying - merely making a point, your exact words are 'Fred is soo fucking good!' not implying that he was just good in that particular match...

Why is Henderson still captain of Liverpool then? wasn't Naby Keita meant to have replaced him by now? 

You'd be surprised, football lacks traditional and natural leaders these days - plenty of teams are lacking in them. 

yes... he was in that match... even before that match i said on here that he was a weird player that shows some potential. 

Why is Ashley Young captain of United? No idea, his influence on the dressing probably - doesn't mean i think hes a good player though.

Teams always have leaders - maybe not in the Viera/Keane mould, but i see alot more young players filling that role now. Guendouzi, McTominay are future captains for example - De Ligt was captain for Ajax when he was 18 or something? 

8 minutes ago, Roux said:

yes... he was in that match...

Why is Ashley Young captain of United? No idea, his influence on the dressing probably - doesn't mean i think hes a good player though.

Teams always have leaders - maybe not in the Viera/Keane mould, but i see alot more young players filling that role now. Guendouzi, McTominay are future captains for example - De Ligt was captain for Ajax when he was 18 or something? 

Being captain of the current crop of Man United players is slightly different than being captain of the current crop of Liverpool players, Young doesn't even get in the team when everyone is fit - Henderson does, it's like comparing apples and oranges. 

Yeah but top teams used to be absolutely full of them, look back to Man United 10 years ago, you had Van Der Sarr, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Neville, Rooney etc...the modern footballer is just different, sure Guendouzi and McTominay are decent young players (edit: McTominay is 23 next month!? it's like Jesse Lingard being young with potential all over again haha!) with leadership qualities but teams used to be absolutely full of players like this (of much higher quality also) when you think back to the great Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea teams especially. 

All I'm saying, never underestimate what a player like that brings to a team, football hipsters want a fancy name who runs rings around players with intricate through balls constantly like David Silva, sure they're great but there is nothing wrong with a player that leads, works hard and does the simple things well - they're a lot harder to come by than you think. 

11 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Being captain of the current crop of Man United players is slightly different than being captain of the current crop of Liverpool players, Young doesn't even get in the team when everyone is fit - Henderson does, it's like comparing apples and oranges. 

Yeah but top teams used to be absolutely full of them, look back to Man United 10 years ago, you had Van Der Sarr, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Neville, Rooney etc...the modern footballer is just different, sure Guendouzi and McTominay are decent young players (edit: McTominay is 23 next month!? it's like Jesse Lingard being young with potential all over again haha!) with leadership qualities but teams used to be absolutely full of players like this (of much higher quality also) when you think back to the great Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea teams especially. 

All I'm saying, never underestimate what a player like that brings to a team, football hipsters want a fancy name who runs rings around players with intricate through balls constantly like David Silva, sure they're great but there is nothing wrong with a player that leads, works hard and does the simple things well - they're a lot harder to come by than you think. 

Its weird that you say all this - when Ander Herrera is/was exactly what you described. and yet you don't rate him - he is imo a better player and had a massive influence on our dressing room. Maybe why United managers have done poorly compared to Klopp can be traced to why this player was neglected (until Jose fell in love with him). We thought it would be good to make Valencia captain when the guy never says a word and can't speak English. Your last paragraph could be applied to Herrera too, so in a way you are contradicting yourself. 

23 is young, especially when we talk about players peaking around 27-29yo. 

4 minutes ago, Roux said:

Its weird that you say all this - when Ander Herrera is/was exactly what you described. and yet you don't rate him - he is imo a better player and had a massive influence on our dressing room. Maybe why United managers have done poorly compared to Klopp can be traced to why this player was neglected (until Jose fell in love with him). We thought it would be good to make Valencia captain when the guy never says a word and can't speak English. Your last paragraph could be applied to Herrera too. 

23 is young, especially when we talk about players peaking around 27-29yo. 

Yeah I accept that about Herrera, he was def a leader in your dressing room looking back - I never said he was a bad player either, just said I wasn't sure he was as good as you said he was.

I don't think players have set peak years to be honest, depends on when they breakthrough most of the time. E.g Rooney was playing from 16 at the top level he peaked very early and was on a steady downward slope from 27 onwards due to his body starting to pack up early.

Whereas Jamie Vardy is still absolutely smashing it at the age of nearly 33 as he didn't really breakthrough at the top level until he was 26/27. 

Looking after yourself is also a factor of course in when your peak years are too, maybe McTominay will be one of those players to peak later as he hasn't played much football in the early part of his career, guess time will tell. 

28 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Yeah I accept that about Herrera, he was def a leader in your dressing room looking back - I never said he was a bad player either, just said I wasn't sure he was as good as you said he was.

I don't think players have set peak years to be honest, depends on when they breakthrough most of the time. E.g Rooney was playing from 16 at the top level he peaked very early and was on a steady downward slope from 27 onwards due to his body starting to pack up early.

Whereas Jamie Vardy is still absolutely smashing it at the age of nearly 33 as he didn't really breakthrough at the top level until he was 26/27. 

Looking after yourself is also a factor of course in when your peak years are too, maybe McTominay will be one of those players to peak later as he hasn't played much football in the early part of his career, guess time will tell. 

I really do rate him as a player, i think people saw how good he was when Jose really forced him to lead the team 2 years ago. He was outstanding (our player of the season that year). He became an annoying little shit that sat in midfield and spoiled the oppositions games. Liverpool and Chelsea fans hated him for this reason. There's a certain beauty in a player like that. Fred is sort of becoming that box-to-box midfielder but he's not got that Spainsh control that Herrera had. 

I think generally players usually play their best years around 27-29 - usually a combination of experience and physical condition is combined. But yeah, like you said its not always the case. 

I think players like McTominay, Andreas, Tuanzabe, Greenwood have high ceilings, but need more consistency. McTominay has been good at that recently, but needs to do that over a season. Andreas is hit or miss these days - but there is a good player in there if Ole can draw it out.  

Maybe it’s the American in me, but I’d okay with having to rely on Dejan Lovren as a CB for Matip if it meant that Joe Gomez knocked out the Mickey Mouse Judas. 

I fucking hate Sterling. Maybe I’m still just butthurt, who knows? I did love all the disrespect he got at Anfield, I’m surprised he didn’t go after TAA who was bullying him wayy more. 

57 minutes ago, BoogieMan said:

Maybe it’s the American in me, but I’d okay with having to rely on Dejan Lovren as a CB for Matip if it meant that Joe Gomez knocked out the Mickey Mouse Judas. 

I fucking hate Sterling. Maybe I’m still just butthurt, who knows? I did love all the disrespect he got at Anfield, I’m surprised he didn’t go after TAA who was bullying him wayy more. 

I think Liverpool fans should grow up tbh, grown men and woman booing a player? "BOOOOOOOO, BOOOOOOOOOO" never done it at a match and never will, cringe everytime I see someone over the age of 15 doing it.

It was like five years ago, hes moved on and so have Liverpool - time to let go.

Him and TAA are really good friends and they didn't have a pushing match so it's pretty obvious why it blew up with Gomez rather than him.

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

I think Liverpool fans should grow up tbh, grown men and woman booing a player? "BOOOOOOOO, BOOOOOOOOOO" never done it at a match and never will, cringe everytime I see someone over the age of 15 doing it.

It was like five years ago, hes moved on and so have Liverpool - time to let go.

Him and TAA are really good friends and they didn't have a pushing match so it's pretty obvious why it blew up with Gomez rather than him.

That’s a strange hill to die on but also Isn’t that part of the beauty of match atmosphere? It also works seeing as how he’s never registered a goal let alone an assist at Anfield since he switched to city. It has to do something seeing as we haven’t lost at home in two seasons. 

they also did though, I can recall at least three separate times I watched his hands and or elbows in trent’s back, let alone the bullshit shove on Van Dijk. 

I have let go, but I’m still allowed to think he’s a cunt, especially when this is an obvious case of short man complex.  

Booing in any sport is fine with me, chanting, booing giving other players some stick makes it a competition really. Obviously its stupid when people cross the line in to racism etc but for the most part its in good nature and makes an atmosphere. Last thing we want is stadiums turning into a library. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roux said:

Booing in any sport is fine with me, chanting, booing giving other players some stick makes it a competition really. Obviously its stupid when people cross the line in to racism etc but for th most part its good in good nature and makes an atmospehere. Last thing we want is stadiums turning into a library. 

Yeah I’m mixed myself so I don’t agree with racism at all. I think Mario Balotelli is a douche but it broke my heart when his own nation was being racist dicks to him for just one example.