The Official Football Topic

Cuth

5 hours ago, Roux said:

Its laughable how he puts '2nd best DM in the whole league' 😂 like those 4 stats are the only important attributes. HA. 

There's a reason why clubs have gone cold on him, even Southgate doesn't fancy him. 

When i watch West Ham, teams are cutting through them like butter, and i think Rice, tactically seems very naive. I watched the Brighton, City and Leicester games and was just not surprised they are where they are. I don't watch every minute he plays liek you, but i've seen enough to formulate an opinion. He's obviously young enough to improve.  

He wouldn't get in the team at United - McTominay and Fred are probably our 2 players of the season and he's simply not better than either than them right now. Even our backup Matic has been very good since coming into the team - i can't stand him but fair play to him. 

If we want to get back to competing we can't be looking at players like Rice/Longstaff. All of Ole's signings so far have been excellent. 4 out of 4 are starters. 

To be honest, I wasn't saying he is the second best DM in the league like that guy in the tweet, was more just showing some stats that show he is good at what he does.

He does get overrun sometimes but a lot of that is down to how poor the rest of the team has been, he can't do everything on his own - he will get a big move soon and flourish as playing with better players consistently will make him look even better than he does already.

Not sure how you know clubs have gone cold on him, are you a board member of all the top PL clubs? Also Southgate has gone cold on him too? He played 90 mins in the last England game and Southgate hasn't picked a squad for 4 months now so not sure how you have worked that one out...He didn't play a couple of games after one bad game against the Czech Republic but that's not exactly unusual for a young player and Southgate has also been pretty rotation happy during the qualifying campaign so I don't think you can look too much into that.

I do also find it funny that you say you can't be looking at players like Rice if you want to get to the next level yet are happy with a midfield of Fred and McTominay? Fred has improved and McTominay looks a decent player but do you really think you can start competing for the PL and CL with them in your starting 11? Serious doubts on that for me...

5 hours ago, Roux said:

He's only decent because he scores 1-2 bangers apparently!?

I think he's the complete DM. I think the whole team flourishes as one unit - but he dictates everything, which is incredible for a 22yo. 

They have a very similar style to the Leicester team that won the league. If they invest over summer and not lose key players they will be contenders for top 4 and maybe contenders for the league next season. Probably have to clarify on here that being a contender doesn't mean i think they will win the league.

They won't contend the league, even if they get top 4 next year they will be at least 20-25 points off the winners. They could have a season like Leicester are this year at best, that isn't being title contenders. 

I never said Neves wasn't a decent player, stop making things up - I just think he gets slightly overrated for the fact he bangs in a couple of screamers every year.

If his name was Dave Smith you wouldn't give a toss about him.

5 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

They won't contend the league, even if they get top 4 next year they will be at least 20-25 points off the winners. They could have a season like Leicester are this year at best, that isn't being title contenders. 

I never said Neves wasn't a decent player, stop making things up - I just think he gets slightly overrated for the fact he bangs in a couple of screamers every year.

If his name was Dave Smith you wouldn't give a toss about him.

wtf? i never accused you of saying anything other than exactly what you wrote! 

I couldn't give a shit what his name is, the player is phenomenal for 22yo. 

Nobody can predict the future. Not even you.

8 minutes ago, Roux said:

wtf? i never accused you of saying anything other than exactly what you wrote! 

I couldn't give a shit what his name is, the player is phenomenal for 22yo. 

Nobody can predict the future. Not even you.

Of course, you've made your prediction and I've made mine, time will tell I guess.

I said I think Neves gets overrated by people for that reason, still think he is a good player but not as good as some make out.

I'm sure he will end up having a great career and will probably move to a bigger team either this summer or next.

42 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

To be honest, I wasn't saying he is the second best DM in the league like that guy in the tweet, was more just showing some stats that show he is good at what he does.

He does get overrun sometimes but a lot of that is down to how poor the rest of the team has been, he can't do everything on his own - he will get a big move soon and flourish as playing with better players consistently will make him look even better than he does already.

Not sure how you know clubs have gone cold on him, are you a board member of all the top PL clubs? Also Southgate has gone cold on him too? He played 90 mins in the last England game and Southgate hasn't picked a squad for 4 months now so not sure how you have worked that one out...He didn't play a couple of games after one bad game against the Czech Republic but that's not exactly unusual for a young player and Southgate has also been pretty rotation happy during the qualifying campaign so I don't think you can look too much into that.

I do also find it funny that you say you can't be looking at players like Rice if you want to get to the next level yet are happy with a midfield of Fred and McTominay? Fred has improved and McTominay looks a decent player but do you really think you can start competing for the PL and CL with them in your starting 11? Serious doubts on that for me...

You don't have to be a board member to know most of the stuff that comes out these days, there's this thing called social media where things get leaked. Its how we knew Fernandes deal was done miles before it was confirmed for example. He was once talk of the town and now there are so many other players who are just better and more affordable - West Ham will want a bucket load for him, you might as well go and get Havertz, Ndidi or Zakaria. Nobody was in for Rice. Ole might come out and demand United get him - but you just don't hear anything about him like you do with Grealish, Sancho etc. 

Southgate said Winks brought calmness and stability to the England team - something Rice just didn't do. I'd be surprised if Rice was ahead of Winks in the DM pack. 

Yes - Fred and McTominay is a well balanced midfield - something we haven't had in ages. You can have doubts all you want - but we are a statistically much better side when McTominay is in the team (https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/nine-stats-to-highlight-scott-mctominays-importance-to-man-utd/). He's a guaranteed starter now. Fred is a cracking little box to box player - feisty, tactically very good and high work rate. If we add a striker and another wide player i think we could start to challenge again. Out of the midfielders, i would replace Matic with Neves and that's about it. Regardless of what we need, both are better than Rice. So no, he wouldn't be a huge upgrade for our starting 11 - he'd be lucky to make the bench imo. I get that you love the guy, but lets be realistic here. 

Like is said before, a midfield of Fred, McTominay, Fernandes, Pogba with the possible addition of Neves is a top class young, agressive, creative and dynamic midfield that could match or better any other team in the league. I'd be very happy with that. 

12 minutes ago, petros said:

Oh wow Liverpool is so much better than everyone else. 

Like I said Atleti the only side I trust to knock them out. Did you watch the game? Liverpool battered them for 120 mins. I have no idea how they didn’t win that. I’m happy though fucking hell. Liverpool have been poor though for a few weeks now. If Adrian wasn’t so shit Liverpool would of gone through tbh

your boys will get fucking battered next week by city. They were fucking embarrassing in the first leg. Will be at least 3-0 city at home.  

5 hours ago, Roux said:

Because they have a really shit goalkeeper. 

and atletico's keeper was on top of his game..... i'm no liverpool supporter, but they were the better team NQAT. but that's football, i guess

real is going to get demolished next week though. worst real team since i can remember

I genuinely believe the season should be void. Let this virus run its cause over next 6 months and if we are good to go again in August great, if not then delay.

I've really not took this serious up until now, because I had been looking at the confirmed cases numbers, without knowing that they will only test people off the basis that they have been abroad in last few weeks.

The fact is, a doctor from a Birmingham hospital was on Central news last night to say that they will have to choose which patients to give oxygen too.

Which means a lot of people will be dying too soon and before their time in the next few weeks and months. 

Give Liverpool a special miniature PL trophy to say they won the league at point of the league voiding. 

As much as I will hate there not being sport, this surely has to be the best way to keep people safe? 

There are lots of people outside of Europe that are saying we are not taking it seriously enough. I was reading about people in China that are more worried about their friends/family in UK than in China. 

I can't believe football matches in this country are still going ahead. Maybe its the fact we are an island that we think we are somewhat safer? 

• Like 1

The matches will be called off today 100%. 

they have to void the season. Not because it’ll be hilarious and I hate Liverpool but how long does this last? It could go on till end of the year. What do we do then when next season is meant to start, the euros etc 

I have a feeling the league want it to continue because the don’t want to take the league away from Liverpool which I understand but they can’t just wait for Liverpool to win two more games and call it off because they have to sort out European places, relagation, promotion etc voiding then league is the only reasonable solution imo

• Like 1