The Official Football Topic

Cuth

• 2 weeks later...

City won the league and all the talk is about united fielding a weak side and Liverpool missing out on top 4 😂

Watching that game last night was tough, there’s some absolute shite in this squad fuck me. Over the next few years we need to get rid of Mata, Williams, Beek, Telles, Matic and Jones. 

I cannot believe how shit Telles has been, him and Beek are nothing players.  Absolutely fucking useless

This is the difference between us and City, apart from Mendy I don’t think they have any bad players on their squad where as United have 5/6

3 hours ago, Scott. said:

I cannot believe how shit Telles has been, him and Beek are nothing players.  Absolutely fucking useless

Both not cut out for this league, time for De Beek to do a Klassen and go back to the Eredivise where people will lap up his 5 yard passes and supposed clever movement, yawn. Telles has a decent delivery every now and then, that's about it. 

Top 4 dream was fun while it lasted, three decent fixtures to end the season - still would be delighted with a top 6 finish, which is more than possible with our last three games. 

Thought both were alright last night, Telles played pretty well. Difficult circumstances though with an entirely new first 11. The FA can go fuck themselves. 

I just love watching us this season - soo much to appreciate - Cavani, Pogba, Bruno, Shaw and Greenwood. Also Bissaka has become an absolute beast. 

Agreed with what a lot of people have been saying about Maguire, you kind of don't realise how good he is/has been until he's not there. Bailly is a liability and Lindelof looks a lost boy without him.

Given the ball away three times in the last three games on edge of box that has ended up with you conceding, was lucky with the one Jota hit the post with another shocking pass. Rice, Ndidi and Bissouma are all players that come to mind who would represent a huge upgrade on Fred.

I just think there are too many players in your team/squad that are good enough for top 4/to win the Europa League but aren't quite cut out for a proper title challenge and Champions League run.

I think your first sentence could be attributed to Fred. Didn't have the best game - but i've seen Rice have similar performances plenty of times. 

Likely 2nd, incredible away record and possibly a trophy is good progress this season. 

Always a kneejerk reaction - i don't think we are far off City at all. 

29 minutes ago, Roux said:

I think your first sentence could be attributed to Fred. Didn't have the best game - but i've seen Rice have similar performances plenty of times. 

Likely 2nd, incredible away record and possibly a trophy is good progress this season. 

Always a kneejerk reaction - i don't think we are far off City at all. 

Of course Rice has made mistakes but Fred makes them all the time. If you think there is honestly a comparison between the amount of errors/bad performances that Fred makes compared to him then you need to give your head a wobble. Either way, this isn't really about Rice vs Fred, it's about Fred not being good enough. 

- Gave away the ball on the edge of the box last night which led to the third goal as well as a shit pass that nearly led to another goal
- Gave the ball away with a sloppy pass on the edge of the box that led to Villa's goal in his previous game
- Gave the ball away on the edge of the box against Roma in the game before that which led to their second goal
- There was the one against Leicester in the cup as well which was only about a month ago where he royally fucked the backpass and gifted them a goal after giving the ball away numerous times before that went unpunished. 

Those are just ones off the top of my head in the last month or so I can remember that led to you conceding goals.

He is in the top 5 most expensive Premier League midfielders ever and he is simply not good enough for where you want to be. Get a proper defensive/holding midfielder in who can actually pass as well as tackle and then let Bruno and Pogba (if he stays) do their thing. 

Edit: This isn't me completely slating Man United btw, I do think generally you're moving in the right direction but replacing Fred seems like such a quick and easy win for me that would improve your team so much. 

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

Of course Rice has made mistakes but Fred makes them all the time. If you think there is honestly a comparison between the amount of errors/bad performances that Fred makes compared to him then you need to give your head a wobble. Either way, this isn't really about Rice vs Fred, it's about Fred not being good enough. 

- Gave away the ball on the edge of the box last night which led to the third goal as well as a shit pass that nearly led to another goal
- Gave the ball away with a sloppy pass on the edge of the box that led to Villa's goal in his previous game
- Gave the ball away on the edge of the box against Roma in the game before that which led to their second goal
- There was the one against Leicester in the cup as well which was only about a month ago where he royally fucked the backpass and gifted them a goal after giving the ball away numerous times before that went unpunished. 

Those are just ones off the top of my head in the last month or so I can remember that led to you conceding goals.

He is in the top 5 most expensive Premier League midfielders ever and he is simply not good enough for where you want to be. Get a proper defensive/holding midfielder in who can actually pass as well as tackle and then let Bruno and Pogba (if he stays) do their thing. 

Yes - you're usual Rice is god stuff - we all know. 

'Makes them all the time' ;D  

He is good enough - in fact he's vital to this team. What about him being outstanding against Leipzig? Spurs? Roma? Man City? AC Milan? PSG? Sociedad? 

Pointless going in circles with you and your agenda - i watch every game and he's been a huge part of the improvement under Ole. 

Nobody gives the ball away more than Pogba and Fernandes - yet nobody says a thing.  

You know what's funny? - all those players you mentioned have made just as many mistakes as Fred this season if not more - Ndidi has had some shockers this season, so has Bissouma. 

Not every player needs to be world class.

59 minutes ago, Roux said:

Yes - you're usual Rice is god stuff - we all know. 

'Makes them all the time' ;D  

He is good enough - in fact he's vital to this team. What about him being outstanding against Leipzig? Spurs? Roma? Man City? AC Milan? PSG? Sociedad? 

Pointless going in circles with you and your agenda - i watch every game and he's been a huge part of the improvement under Ole. 

Nobody gives the ball away more than Pogba and Fernandes - yet nobody says a thing.  

You know what's funny? - all those players you mentioned have made just as many mistakes as Fred this season if not more - Ndidni has had some shockers this season, so has Bissouma. 

Okay ignore my opinions you disagree with me, we've done it to death - although I could make the argument your opinion on Rice isn't valid because you don't watch him every week? I'd say I watch about 75% of Man United's games and that has allowed me to formulate what I think is a pretty fair view, if you disagree then fair enough. 

Re Pogba/Fernandaes giving the ball away, it's where Fred gives the ball away though isn't it? really close to his own goal, you can forgive maybe 1 a season that leads to a goal, he's done 4 in 6 weeks. 

Do you think you need a new top class DM who starts in the big games against the top teams in order to mount a serious title/CL challenge?

47 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Okay ignore my opinions you disagree with me, we've done it to death - although I could make the argument your opinion on Rice isn't valid because you don't watch him every week? I'd say I watch about 75% of Man United's games and that has allowed me to formulate what I think is a pretty fair view, if you disagree then fair enough. 

Re Pogba/Fernandaes giving the ball away, it's where Fred gives the ball away though isn't it? really close to his own goal, you can forgive maybe 1 a season that leads to a goal, he's done 4 in 6 weeks. 

Do you think you need a new top class DM who starts in the big games against the top teams in order to mount a serious title/CL challenge?

I don't watch every minute Rice plays - but i know enough to formulate an opinion. I've seen people support the things i've said, and some that disagree. All i can say is - for all Freds mistakes, he gives a hell of alot to the team too - he's excellent at breaking up play and being energetic with pressing, he's not a backpasser too. surely even you can see a few reasons why Ole picks him every week. Most title winning teams have this type of player - i.e Fabinho, Fernandinho, Fletcher, not world class - but they do the workhorse job. 

I mean Bruno/Pogba have given away goals on the edge of the box too - Pogba multiple clumsy penalties (Roma, Palace, Arsenal), last night - failed to deal with the set piece for the second goal, against Brighton a few games ago for Welbecks goal. Bruno - the Leicester goal in the 2-2 game and a few other games i can't remember. He gave the ball away all night vs that Turkish team.  

No i think, we've done pretty well against the top teams the last few seasons with Fred/Scott - particularly against City/Liverpool. We need a top class RW - that was the biggest take away for me from last night - Rashford was invisible RW. I don't buy into the Harry Maguire hype - i think him, Lindelof and Baily are all in the same category of good/okay center backs, but not great. Maguire has had the benefit of being injury free most of his career, but he is still shaky. Will they do for now - i think so, but we really need a top class natural RW. 

To still have a chance (albeit slim) of winning the league with 3/4 games left IS being in a title race. Vastly better then the last few years we're we've been miles off. 

4 hours ago, Roux said:

I don't watch every minute Rice plays - but i know enough to formulate an opinion. I've seen people support the things i've said, and some that disagree. All i can say is - for all Freds mistakes, he gives a hell of alot to the team too - he's excellent at breaking up play and being energetic with pressing, he's not a backpasser too. surely even you can see a few reasons why Ole picks him every week. Most title winning teams have this type of player - i.e Fabinho, Fernandinho, Fletcher, not world class - but they do the workhorse job. 

I mean Bruno/Pogba have given away goals on the edge of the box too - Pogba multiple clumsy penalties (Roma, Palace, Arsenal), last night - failed to deal with the set piece for the second goal, against Brighton a few games ago for Welbecks goal. Bruno - the Leicester goal in the 2-2 game and a few other games i can't remember. He gave the ball away all night vs that Turkish team.  

No i think, we've done pretty well against the top teams the last few seasons with Fred/Scott - particularly against City/Liverpool. We need a top class RW - that was the biggest take away for me from last night - Rashford was invisible RW. I don't buy into the Harry Maguire hype - i think him, Lindelof and Baily are all in the same category of good/okay center backs, but not great. Maguire has had the benefit of being injury free most of his career, but he is still shaky. Will they do for now - i think so, but we really need a top class natural RW. 

To still have a chance (albeit slim) of winning the league with 3/4 games left IS being in a title race. Vastly better then the last few years we're we've been miles off. 

You were never really in the title race, everytime it looked like there might be a chance of you making a push you ended up dropping points and taking yourselves out the equation. You did it around January and the title has been City's since February, I wouldn't call that much of a title challenge. 

Fabinho/Fernandinho should never be mentioned in the same breath as Fred, they're both on a different level to him. 

I'll eat my hat if Man United win the PL or CL with a first choice midfield of Scott McTominay and Fred, it just aint gonna happen - they aren't good enough if you want to compete with the elite teams. Sure they can come in and do a job against lesser teams here and there but over the course of a full season, they aren't good enough to be mainstays in the side. 

Bruno and Pogba do give the ball away but their contribution outweighs that. Shaw had a bad game last night but he has made barely any costly errors this season, so he gets a bit of a pass. Fred has lost the ball on the edge of his own box 4 times in the last 6 weeks that have led to you conceding, that is inexcusable of any player at the top level - let alone one who is supposed to have aspirations of competing for major honors. 

I think a centre back and a defensive midfielder is far more essential than a winger, you've only scored 2 less than City all season but you've conceded 16 more. Going forward you are absolutely fine, you need better defensive options. A centre back, a DM and some good full back cover. 

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

You were never really in the title race, everytime it looked like there might be a chance of you making a push you ended up dropping points and taking yourselves out the equation. You did it around January and the title has been City's since February, I wouldn't call that much of a title challenge. 

Fabinho/Fernandinho should never be mentioned in the same breath as Fred, they're both on a different level to him. 

I'll eat my hat if Man United win the PL or CL with a first choice midfield of Scott McTominay and Fred, it just aint gonna happen - they aren't good enough if you want to compete with the elite teams. Sure they can come in and do a job against lesser teams here and there but over the course of a full season, they aren't good enough to be mainstays in the side. 

Bruno and Pogba do give the ball away but their contribution outweighs that. Shaw had a bad game last night but he has made barely any costly errors this season, so he gets a bit of a pass. Fred has lost the ball on the edge of his own box 4 times in the last 6 weeks that have led to you conceding, that is inexcusable of any player at the top level - let alone one who is supposed to have aspirations of competing for major honors. 

I think a centre back and a defensive midfielder is far more essential than a winger, you've only scored 2 less than City all season but you've conceded 16 more. Going forward you are absolutely fine, you need better defensive options. A centre back, a DM and some good full back cover. 

Well we mathematically were until  3 days ago - so that puts and end to that point. Unlikely - sure, but not impossible - as history has shown. 

Well that's you own opinion. We've won leagues with much lesser players, as have other teams. Like i said, not every player needs to be world class. There's been a huge improvement this season - those two have played a massive part in that whether you agree or not, they played nearly every game. I'm pretty sure even us finishing 2nd would have surprised you before this season started - shows your level of judgment. 

I think you're greatly underestimating what he bring to the team - its not all about goals or creating chances, you need players to do the dirty work. I wouldn't say Fabinho/Fernandinho are a millions miles away from Fred at all - just you being dramatic. Fernandinho was awful last season. I've seen all these players make huge mistakes multiple times - but they offer alot too. Pep rates Fred at United and wanted to buy him to replace Fernandinho - i can see why if even you don't. 

Disagree, we have desperately needed a true RW for years now - the interest in Sancho last summer was clear and will be again this season. Greenwood needs to play more as a number 9 or backup to Cavani. United's weakness this season has been a huge reliance on attacks coming on the left side. If a top class defender comes up - i'm sure they'll try bring one in, Varane has been talked about, but i would imagine Solskjaer would be okay with keeping it the same. I'd say alot of those 16 goals conceded were down to De Gea making individual errors and a poor season all round from him. 

What this last week has shown us is that Maguire is our best player, the fucking state on our defence without him holy shit. I’ve slagged him off loads but like Dan said you don’t realise how good someone is till they’re gone. 

Liverpools midfield 3 were running rings around Fred and Mctominay, Fred is abysmal, an awful footballer, probably one of the worst Brazilians I’ve ever seen, Mctominay is normally solid tbf but he had a shocker. I agree with Dan we won’t win any big prizes with those two in midfield, I don’t think Pogba fits in anywhere either, I’d like to see him moved on, he’s shit in a two and doesn’t work on the left. We don’t have any balance in this team at all. As soon as Mason came on and Marcus moved to the left we were much better. 

I think this has shown us that another top class CB is a must this Summer, if at some point next season we’re without Maguire we are absolutely fucked. We also need a Rice/Ndidi type of Midfielder. I’be gotta be honest I’m not really sure on rice, does he get across the pitch well? I’d rather a dog there that breaks everything up like a Kante. Tbf Fred get around the pitch well but his passing is fucking awful and he’s braindead which is a shame. 

The whole problem with the club though for me and the one of the main reasons the fans are protesting is yes because the glazers don’t put a penny in and take out but it’s the fact we have accountants making footballing decisions, it’s ridiculous, no wonder City are pulling away, don’t they have those Barca lads making all football decisions? The barca lads that overseen that incredible spell by the best club side I’ve ever seen. They are run so well and their recruitment is so good that they’re on the position to cherry pick world class players while United are always playing catch up and trying to fix past fuck ups, we’ve needed 5/6 players every summer for 7 years. What I don’t get is why don’t the glazers fucking sort this out they’d save themselves a shit load of money ffs. I can’t work them out. 

Ole has done a good job fixing the squad and even if he doesn’t win any big prizes he will leave us in a good way imo so it’s crucial we stick with him, we just need a world class director of football at the club and sort our recruitment out. Who the fuck signed Donny? It wasn’t Ole no chance, he cost 40m ffs and hes hardly played at when he has he looks championship level, same with Fred, 50 fucking million!! We are always playing catch up because we get it so wrong off the pitch 

Ferran Torres last night, whenever I’ve seen him play he looks a great talent, City have just plucked him out from nowhere it seems, fucking does my head in how they seem to know what they’re doing. United had to sign Bellingham last summer, he’s a massive united fan ffs, what are we doing?? Instead of signing him for 30m now he’s going to cost 80+ million. The club are a fucking shambles 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott. said:

What this last week has shown us is that Maguire is our best player, the fucking state on our defence without him holy shit. I’ve slagged him off loads but like Dan said you don’t realise how good someone is till they’re gone. 

Liverpools midfield 3 were running rings around Fred and Mctominay, Fred is abysmal, an awful footballer, probably one of the worst Brazilians I’ve ever seen, Mctominay is normally solid tbf but he had a shocker. I agree with Dan we won’t win any big prizes with those two in midfield, I don’t think Pogba fits in anywhere either, I’d like to see him moved on, he’s shit in a two and doesn’t work on the left. We don’t have any balance in this team at all. As soon as Mason came on and Marcus moved to the left we were much better. 

I think this has shown us that another top class CB is a must this Summer, if at some point next season we’re without Maguire we are absolutely fucked. We also need a Rice/Ndidi type of Midfielder. I’be gotta be honest I’m not really sure on rice, does he get across the pitch well? I’d rather a dog there that breaks everything up like a Kante. Tbf Fred get around the pitch well but his passing is fucking awful and he’s braindead which is a shame. 

The whole problem with the club though for me and the one of the main reasons the fans are protesting is yes because the glazers don’t put a penny in and take out but it’s the fact we have accountants making footballing decisions, it’s ridiculous, no wonder City are pulling away, don’t they have those Barca lads making all football decisions? The barca lads that overseen that incredible spell by the best club side I’ve ever seen. They are run so well and their recruitment is so good that they’re on the position to cherry pick world class players while United are always playing catch up and trying to fix past fuck ups, we’ve needed 5/6 players every summer for 7 years. What I don’t get is why don’t the glazers fucking sort this out they’d save themselves a shit load of money ffs. I can’t work them out. 

Ole has done a good job fixing the squad and even if he doesn’t win any big prizes he will leave us in a good way imo so it’s crucial we stick with him, we just need a world class director of football at the club and sort our recruitment out. Who the fuck signed Donny? It wasn’t Ole no chance, he cost 40m ffs and hes hardly played at when he has he looks championship level, same with Fred, 50 fucking million!! We are always playing catch up because we get it so wrong off the pitch 

Ferran Torres last night, whenever I’ve seen him play he looks a great talent, City have just plucked him out from nowhere it seems, fucking does my head in how they seem to know what they’re doing. United had to sign Bellingham last summer, he’s a massive united fan ffs, what are we doing?? Instead of signing him for 30m now he’s going to cost 80+ million. The club are a fucking shambles 

Rice is quick to get around the pitch, he breaks up play well but obviously Kante is another level at that because that is literally the main part of his game whereas Rice is a more well rounded defensive midfielder. I think either him or Ndidi represent a huge upgrade on Fred, they should both improve as well and have resale value. Fred is 28, he isn't going to get much better than he is now.

I don't see Fred or McTominay getting in any top teams midfielders, tbh neither of them would get in ours over Rice and Soucek and we're hardly worldbeaters. 

Donny was the most pointless signing ever, I don't think there is a riskier transfer than a big money signing moving from the Eredivisie to the Premier League. Sure some work out but when they're bad, fucking hell they stink the place out. 

Problem with Donny is he looks good in that Ajax system. Can all see what a good player he was that season when Ajax reached the final, for me he just doesn’t have the bollocks to play for United, he looks like a lost boy out there and every pass is backwards or sideways, he has shown some glimpses of quality but he should be nowhere near our team. 

I do think this season has papered over cracks. We’ll be in a fight for top 4 next season. United fans are deluded if they think we’re going to challenge unless 4/5 top class players come in.

We’ve only had Maguire missing one game and look at the fucking state of us, Liverpool have had VVD, Matip and Gomez missing practically all season and injuries to Henderson etc when they come back next season they will be a force again, they’ll finish above us 100%. They showed the other night their midfield and attack is far superior to ours. Chelsea look a different animal under Tuchel, they’ll challenge next year and will go into the market again because they have an open chequebook like City. 

Depending on our summer transfers I think we’ll be in a top 4 battle next season