The Official Football Topic

Cuth

25 minutes ago, Neal said:

i don't know what you're talking about? i hope england wins this thing

I'm just fucking around tbh.

In all seriousness, the laser pen thing was dickish but it was one bloke out of 60,000.

I might be opening myself up for abuse here but is booing the national anthem that big of a deal? people do it to us when we're playing away all the time and I always took it as some kind of backhanded compliment that they were trying to get in our heads/put us off. 

Would I do it if I was at a game? definitely not...but the faux outrage is to much for me. It's football, there is always an element of theatre and pantomime and stuff like this just adds to it for me.  

20 minutes ago, Depf said:

Lets not pretend this is not a massive english problem. you don't get that level of hostility anywhere else in the world. 

The whataboutism doesn't change that. You can be passionate about your team and not be a prick. At least be honest about it. 

its really not. I don't think you've seen the level of hostility in many other countries then - Russia, South American countries, Turkey, Bulgaria etc where they use openly racist/homophobic chants and intimidation. 

1 guy with a laser pen and some people booing a national anthem is hardly hostile lol. It's a minority that choose to be dicks. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Depf said:

Lets not pretend this is not a massive english problem. you don't get that level of hostility anywhere else in the world. 

The whataboutism doesn't change that. You can be passionate about your team and not be a prick. At least be honest about it. 

You really do, there is still a lot of places in Europe where black players get monkey noises/bananas thrown at them on a regular basis. Also places that are far more violent/dangerous to go watch a football match. 

Go watch a match in London as an away fan or in Belgrade, Sofia, Istanbul, Prague, Moscow or even Rome and tell me our fans are the most hostile in the world. 

What I saw was a bit booing (nothing really) and 99% of people just enjoying the ride of us getting to our first final in 55 years. 

2 minutes ago, Roux said:

its really not. I don't think you've seen the level of hostility in many other countries then - Russia, South American countries, Turkey, Bulgaria etc where they use openly racist chants and intimidation. 

1 guy with a laser pen and some people booing a national anthem is hardly hostile lol. It's a minority that choose to be dicks. 

Literally typed the same thing at pretty much the same time haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Depf said:

yeah but what about! see?

If I was at a game and the guy next to me booed god save the queen I'd tell him to stfu. Makes a whole nation look bad. Respect is a big part of sports in my book. 

I admire passion, but I'm more impressed by the japanese

So you make comments that are not backed up by anything and when they're contested/a counter argument is offered you just call 'what about' hmmmmmmm okay.

It's fine, you don't usually watch football and want to have an opinion on what everyone is talking about, I really get it - but maybe listen to the people who watch it all year round? you could learn something!

14 minutes ago, Depf said:

yeah but what about! see?

If I was at a game and the guy next to me booed god save the queen I'd tell him to stfu. Makes a whole nation look bad. Respect is a big part of sports in my book. 

I admire passion, but I'm more impressed by the japanese

I think you're overreacting- i honestly wouldn't care, its all banter in my opinion. Just like booing a player - i don't booing the anthem as offensive at all. Would i choose do it? no. 

Now if someone near me were to start doing monkey chants for example - then something would have to be done. 

I like i said - this problem isn't isolated to English fans so i'm not sure why you are highlighting them? 

And of course a laser pen and some booing doesn't make an entire nation look bad - most people with common sense know its a minority - that's a silly argument. 

9 minutes ago, Depf said:

haha, alright,  this tells me all i need to know about you arrogant fuck. Go make yourself feel better by comparing yourselves to Jugoslawia when talking about London.

I am not? It's not like I'm scolding here. Just saying lots of people don't appreciate it. Surely not alone in this.  I'd love to see a more welcoming , including game. If we can't agree that the booing of national anthems was mostly done in Wembley in this Euro than I don't know what to say. But yes, what about those racist italians? ;)

People don't appreciate alotta things... some people like us don't mind it and don't think its particularly offensive - get over it. Its harmless booing.

I think booing a national anthem compared to racist chants isn't even in the same bracket - not sure what argument you are trying to make here. 

You're clearly ignorant on this matter because apparently England is the most hostile place in the world for footie haha. Jesus. 

8 minutes ago, Depf said:

Yeah but what about...hooliganism.

what a stupid game you're trying to play.  I'll stop before i lose any more braincells.

Happens in EVERY country in the world - what else you got? Or have you got any proof to say England is number 1 in the world for football hooliganism?

Sound like you don't have much to begin with ha. You'd make a compelling lawyer by ignoring every point and saying 'but.. what about..." 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Depf said:

haha, alright,  this tells me all i need to know about you arrogant fuck. Go make yourself feel better by comparing yourselves to Jugoslawia when talking about London.

Arrogant? hmmmmmm, I'd call it being right but whatever floats your tiny little boat. 

Either way, I think we're done here - you've made a complete prat out of yourself so feels harsh to stick the boot in even more. 

@Depf 

I can hear some pretty audible booing for our national anthem from the German fans (and this was only a friendly where there was nothing on the line)

But of course, it's just English fans who do this right?

This isn't me criticising the booing, it's criticising the hypocrisy of your argument. 

Game, set, match. 

4 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Love watching the Italians sing their national anthem, it truly is a thing of beauty. 

Haha I miss seeing Gigi Buffon belting his way through Fratelli d'Italia - always an international highlight.

5 hours ago, Roux said:

its really not. I don't think you've seen the level of hostility in many other countries then - Russia, South American countries, Turkey, Bulgaria etc where they use openly racist/homophobic chants and intimidation. 

Im from South America and you're right, are you guys watching Copa América? Emiliano Martínez Argentina's keeper was a jerk during penaty shootouts insulting colombians even saying "Cagón" wich means wuss, shitter. No yellow card for him, not a thing.

Shame for the penalty, England didnt need that help to win. Wonderfull team but Italy has great defense and punch

• Like 1