The Official Football Topic

Cuth

24 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Dives into him surely? He sticks his leg out so he’s asking for trouble but I still think it’s a dive 

he has no intention of playing the ball just stopping the man by sticking his leg out. Stonewall pen. 

Shaw basically starfished to block the ball - blatant pen - very silly. 

47 minutes ago, Roux said:

he has no intention of playing the ball just stopping the man by sticking his leg out. Stonewall pen. 

Shaw basically starfished to block the ball - blatant pen - very silly. 

You can’t keep your arms by your side if you’re stretching to stop a cross. That’s a natural position imo not an unnatural 

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

He’s lunging forward. He can’t do that with his arm stuck to his side 

You do that in matches and you're asking for trouble. if he kept his arms lower he'd be fine - but he has them so high up that's its always going to be given. 

That's why you see players put their hands near their hips of behind their back around the box. Last kick of the game - he should have some common sense. 

On 9/20/2021 at 10:38 AM, ...Dan... said:

Yeah it isn't looking good for you lads.

I don't think you'll ever be able to have a regular stint in the Prem under your current owners, they just don't have deep enough pockets.

Seem like a very well run club by all means but sadly without money staying in the league is always gonna be an uphill battle. 

Not so far, no. Hopefully things will start to click soon. We had no meaningful pre-season, have been ravaged by covid and had to play the last two PL champions for our first two games (bit dodgy that imo). 

As painful as it is being the ultimate yo-yo club, I would still prefer to have local owners who care so deeply than some anonymous oil money sugar daddy. But yeah, very well run and we have learnt from our mistakes in the past. Do wish we'd sold Cantwell rather the Buendia in the summer, but who knows what was said behind the scenes. 

Made hard work of that last night, should have won by 2 or 3 by the chances we missed in the last few minutes. 

I know it was only Man United's reserve team but there was a hell of a lot of money spent on that and for our reserves to hold on and get the win (even when Man United bought on some of the first teamers) showed we maybe have more strength in the depth than I thought. 

Of course we get fucking City in the next round though...nevermind, maybe next year...

42 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Yeah disappointing. We had a shit load of shots but not much on target. Our attacking play is so basic. Martial was a fucking disgrace. Telles was abysmal. 

Martial looks shot doesn't he? surely a move would be beneficial to both parties now.

What you think is going on with Sancho? looks a completely different player since putting on the Man United shirt. Still early days I know but he's had a good few chances to shine and has been pretty shite every time. 

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

Martial looks shot doesn't he? surely a move would be beneficial to both parties now.

What you think is going on with Sancho? looks a completely different player since putting on the Man United shirt. Still early days I know but he's had a good few chances to shine and has been pretty shite every time. 

Think he showed some nice footwork last night. Can see he’s talented and his stats don’t lie. He’ll come good just needs to settle. 

Sancho and Donny played pretty well i thought - good run out for players who need minutes. Glad to be out of it to be honest - focus on league and UCL, hopefully a good FA Cup run. Martial and Rashford are nowhere near good enough to be a no.9 - Greenwood on the other hand... unreal talent.

47 minutes ago, Roux said:

Sancho and Donny played pretty well i thought - good run out for players who need minutes. Glad to be out of it to be honest - focus on league and UCL, hopefully a good FA Cup run. Martial and Rashford are nowhere near good enough to be a no.9 - Greenwood on the other hand... unreal talent.

Get out of a winnable tournament to focus on ones that you have a much smaller chance of winning? never understood that logic from a fan but fair enough. 

It's not like your City/Chelsea/Liverpool who have won big trophies in recent years, I honestly don't think Man United are in a place to turn their nose up at the League Cup anymore.

13 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Get out of a winnable tournament to focus on ones that you have a much smaller chance of winning? never understood that logic from a fan but fair enough. 

It's not like your City/Chelsea/Liverpool who have won big trophies in recent years, I honestly don't think Man United are in a place to turn their nose up at the League Cup anymore.

What a hypocrite... 

Your team hasn't won a single trophy in 40+ years and you turn you nose up at it by playing a second string! There's a reason why PL teams risk playing a b team - its not important, Moyes himself said priority was the next league game. 

Personally, i think we have a decent shot at winning the league.  

I don’t. We’ve been lucky so far imo. I do think we played well against West Ham and should have scored more but I’ve got a feeling a top side is going to dispatch us comfortably soon and it will all unravel. We have the squad to compete with the other 3 but unfortunately they all have world class managers and we have Ole. I love Ole and always will and I have gone on record saying we’ll look back and appreciate what he did for us. I think he’s bought well and there’s a good feeling at the club again. I also think he’s a very good man manager but tactically he’s not up to it. If we won nothing this year and are way off the pace he needs to go

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

I don’t. We’ve been lucky so far imo. I do think we played well against West Ham and should have scored more but I’ve got a feeling a top side is going to dispatch us comfortably soon and it will all unravel. We have the squad to compete with the other 3 but unfortunately they all have world class managers and we have Ole. I love Ole and always will and I have gone on record saying we’ll look back and appreciate what he did for us. I think he’s bought well and there’s a good feeling at the club again. I also think he’s a very good man manager but tactically he’s not up to it. If we won nothing this year and are way off the pace he needs to go

Nobody gives a shit about luck if you just keep getting results. I still think Chelsea and City are favourites, but i can't rule us out, Ronaldo just adds something special.  

If you look at the results in the last 12 months - since we got hammered by Spurs and Palace - its title winning/challenging form. This team hasn't even got out of first gear - there's no real chemistry yet - but that will come. 

19 hours ago, Roux said:

What a hypocrite... 

Your team hasn't won a single trophy in 40+ years and you turn you nose up at it by playing a second string! There's a reason why PL teams risk playing a b team - its not important, Moyes himself said priority was the next league game. 

Personally, i think we have a decent shot at winning the league.  

We won though? our name is in the hat for the next round and yours isn't. 

We're not expected to win trophies for the reasons you've mentioned above.

You are and you've just blown a chance at winning one. 

18 hours ago, Scott. said:

Yeah I think this is it tbh, Klopp/Pep/Tuchel are just in a different league when it comes to tactics. 

Luck always runs out at some point, I think Man United will finish 3rd or 4th personally but stand to be corrected. 

Personally think Chelsea will win it this year from what I've seen so far, playing so well and seem to be able to change games when they need too. Strength in depth is insane as well. 

23 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

We won though? our name is in the hat for the next round and yours isn't. 

We're not expected to win trophies for the reasons you've mentioned above.

You are and you've just blown a chance at winning one. 

Don't you think if we wanted to win this competition we'd put out our first 11? You take the risk of playing a second string because other games are more important - this has been the case for nearly every PL team for years, including your own. Out of the 2 games we've played against WH - the league game win was far more important to us.