The Official Football Topic

Cuth

2 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Yes but that Man United side grew into a great side along with Ronaldo, he was surrounded by amazing players in his initial peak at Man United - it wasn't like it was just Ronaldo winning them games and trophies on his own. 

I think you're thinking too deeply with this, strip it all back - who is the better football player out of the two? who has the most natural ability? who is the most exciting to watch and keeps you on the edge of your seat?

I don't give a fuck about social media, global brand and sponsorships personally. 

Messi has won more trophies (and has also won the equivalent of the Euros with Argentina in the Copa America) he has more assists than Ronaldo in less games, Ronaldo beats him in goals but is 2 years older and Messi has a better goals to game ratio - I'm not much of a statto but even if you want to go down that route, Messi is still clear overall.  

Both great players, the best of all time - Messi just clear for me.

You answered your own point - United team grew into a great side, it didn't start as one - particularly in Europe and playing in the toughest league in the world. Messi was born into one - guaranteed a trophy every season because of the weak league - i mean even you joke about that league - he won the double in his first real season!  Now he's gone to the farmers league to do the same exact thing.

You saying Ronaldo doesn't have natural ability? lol okay...

Its a matter or opinion what kind of player you prefer - but right now, you only have to look at the last few weeks to see who has me on the edge of my seat - one guy has done very little and the other is scoring every match, last minute winners and carrying his national team and club team on his back - Ronaldo is the talk of the world right now. Didn't they name Ronaldo as player of the century over Messi for a reason? 

if you want to go by stats:

https://www.givemesport.com/1749114-cristiano-ronaldo-crowned-the-goat-ahead-of-messi-and-pele-by-mathematical-study

2 hours ago, Roux said:

You answered your own point - United team grew into a great side, it didn't start as one - particularly in Europe and playing in the toughest league in the world. Messi was born into one - guaranteed a trophy every season because of the weak league - i mean even you joke about that league - he won the double in his first real season!  Now he's gone to the farmers league to do the same exact thing.

You saying Ronaldo doesn't have natural ability? lol okay...

Its a matter or opinion what kind of player you prefer - but right now, you only have to look at the last few weeks to see who has me on the edge of my seat - one guy has done very little and the other is scoring every match, last minute winners and carrying his national team and club team on his back - Ronaldo is the talk of the world right now. Didn't they name Ronaldo as player of the century over Messi for a reason? 

if you want to go by stats:

https://www.givemesport.com/1749114-cristiano-ronaldo-crowned-the-goat-ahead-of-messi-and-pele-by-mathematical-study

I'm not saying Ronaldo doesn't have natural ability, Messi is just another level and is better technically - I struggle to see how anyone can say otherwise. 

Edge of your seat is debatable, basically all of Ronaldo's goals since rejoining Man United have been tap ins and goalkeeping errors. Sure you have to be in the right place at the right time but noone was ever on the edge of their seat watching Inzaghi which is basically what he is now. 

Messi turned it on against Man City in the CL and scored a great goal against top opposition when it really mattered.

Ronaldo isn't carrying Portugal either, their team is littered with talent - great players and cover in basically every position.

Either way, agree to disagree. Just wanted to state my opinion on the matter as per usual. 

51 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I'm not saying Ronaldo doesn't have natural ability, Messi is just another level and is better technically - I struggle to see how anyone can say otherwise. 

Edge of your seat is debatable, basically all of Ronaldo's goals since rejoining Man United have been tap ins and goalkeeping errors. Sure you have to be in the right place at the right time but noone was ever on the edge of their seat watching Inzaghi which is basically what he is now. 

Messi turned it on against Man City in the CL and scored a great goal against top opposition when it really mattered.

Ronaldo isn't carrying Portugal either, their team is littered with talent - great players and cover in basically every position.

Either way, agree to disagree. Just wanted to state my opinion on the matter as per usual. 

I wouldn't say another level - its just different, almost like power vs grace. Its only a struggle if you can't accept other opinions on what 'technical' or 'natural ability' is. 

There is more to his game than just tap ins - sheer ignorance to say otherwise. And what exactly has Messi done in the same time in a piss poor league? throw a strop when he got subbed? How exciting. Great goal against City but that's it really - im sure he'll score 30+  but its just not the same doing it in that league.  

Of course he's carrying Portugal - look at his goals in the last few games, he singlehandedly won them the game in the dying minutes vs Ireland, he's scoring consistently every game, they are dreadful without him. 

He’s been a disaster this season. We’re utterly clueless though. The ‘coaching’ is horrific. We’ll probably beat Liverpool next weekend though. Ole will pick a team to save himself it’ll probably be something like this 

Dave

AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw

Fred Mctom

Lingard Bruno Rashford

Ronaldo

I actually watched the full 90 mins yesterday and while Maguire made the noticeable individual errors, the whole team was basically a carcrash.

Sancho looks completely lost and Ronaldo offered absolutely nothing, couldn't even stay onside for that cross from Rashford where he was looking across the line. 

I honestly think Cavani would be a better option than Ronaldo at the moment, Greenwood, Cavani and Rashford would be far more dynamic but doubt Ole has the minerals.

Ronaldo is a luxury player. Put him in city side and he’s the best player in the world instantly but put him in this disjointed mess and his performances are poor. It’s not his fault, in fact none of this is the players fault imo I’m bored of blaming the players it comes down to coaching ffs and we have a bunch of fucking amateurs 

Look at Brentford yesterday. They have that moneyball system in place so really they have a team of absolute fucking nobodies and they made chelsea look like a mid table side clinging onto a smash and grab. They play much better football than United and they would of battered us yesterday. That cannot be right. It’s the coaching. Get fucking rid of the cunts. Manchester United ffs and we have a whole coaching side learning on the job. It’s fucking mental

The problem with Maguire's errors is that its always when there is no immediate danger - its such a shame we spent £80m on him and he's our captain - embarrassing really, he's doing this every single match. Ole should never have played him. No pressing from any of the front 5. 

Time for a change

Good win for us yesterday, surprised Everton were so high in the table before yesterday, they were really poor.

I know they are missing their two main attackers but this is basically the same team that could have easily won at Old Trafford the other week and with our overall record at Goodison I feared the worst.

Ajax fucking battered Dortmund last night. Ended 4-0 but should have been 6/7-0. They’ve been unreal this season. I really like Ten Hag although I don’t watch Ajax other than highlights. I would love him after Ole tbh. He’ll probably end up at barca in fact United are so fucking clueless they’ve probably never heard of him. I bet we go for Southgate. When will this torture fucking end. 

Atalanta will tear us a new arsehole tonight btw

Header was filthy. 

6 goals in 2 games conceded mainly down to that muppet at the back. 

For me the problem has never been Ronaldo, its Fernandes -  playing too high up the pitch or just not where you expect a number 10 to be - game changed when he dropped deeper and helped out his midfielders. Great player - but tries too hard to force things. 

Looking forward to the Liverpool game, i hope Maguire sorts it out. 

Agree on Fernandes. There’s been times where we’ve had him and Pogba in the same team and neither of them are in midfield and we’ve just got Fred or Mctominay on their own in between attack and defence against sometimes 3 midfielders. No chance Ole is setting up like that I just don’t think Pogba or Bruno can help themselves but get forward. We’re really unbalanced at times. Look at Chelsea or Liverpool’s midfield none of them really are goal scorers or creators but they do the dirty work and play with energy. 

No complains from me. Men against boys. A brilliant team and manager against an amateur and an absolute shambles. Liverpool actually took pity on us in the end that’s how bad it was. The worst result in our premier league history imo. 

Roma - Napoli was pure madness, but we ended Napoli's perfect record with a draw. Mourinho has been sent off during after two sarcastic thumbs up to the referee and Spalletti was also red carded after he congratulated the ref after the final whistle. 
Abraham had a fantastic chance to score and close the game but he missed it. 

• Haha 1