The Official Football Topic

Cuth

Guest Millzy

Also how shit Arsenal are - pathetic how easy it was for Barca.

Take 5 of Utd's best players out of your team and pretty sure you'd struggle too against a team like barca with messi in red hot form. You got outclassed in the final last year with virtually your strongest 11.

Guest Millzy

Yeah barca can definately be beat, it's just bullshit to say arsenal are shit when we're missing half our 1st team and messi is on a different planet.

Yeah barca can definately be beat, it's just bullshit to say arsenal are shit when we're missing half our 1st team and messi is on a different planet.

barca were missing players too, Puyol, Pique,  Iniesta apart from last 5 mins tonight, Ibrahimovic, and terry henry

arsenal were shit tonight, no one can deny that, the best player in the world and you let him have a free leash, of course he's gunner shine unless you need have a man marking him like a shadow.

tonight was the best opportunity to beat them but bad tactics done ya over

just watched the game and i cant believe messi got 4 goals haha. barca didnt play as good as i hoped for them to play though.. and to be fair to arsenal, though they were shit tonight, it is very hard to look good against this barcelona team

Also how shit Arsenal are - pathetic how easy it was for Barca.

Take 5 of Utd's best players out of your team and pretty sure you'd struggle too against a team like barca with messi in red hot form. You got outclassed in the final last year with virtually your strongest 11.

Err Barca were missing a shit load of players too. 

Sure we got outclassed, but it wasnt our strongest 11 - Fletcher just might have made a difference. We outclassed them twice the year before that.

As soon a Bentner got the first goal the whole team should have defended their arses off - at least until half time - yet all night the Barca players were the ones tracking back and forcing Arsenal into errors.

i knew the media would be wanking over barca this morning. what about united's performance at the emirates then this year? and in the champs league last year when ronnie took the piss? because it's barca they are somehow the best team of all time now. they can be beat. i think Madrid will beat them Sat.

as of tonight, can sneak a 1-0 but think we'd get embarrassed by barca. i'd rather go out and concentrate on winnin' the league a record 4 times in a row.

you cannot compare arsenal last night with united in the final, united were missing darren fletcher..... yes he works hard but isnt going to create an awful lot! Arsenal were without Arshavin Van Persie Gallas and Fabregas who ( bar Gallas) are Arsenal's most creative players! yes Barca were missing a few but if memory serves me correct didnt Barca have a couple of lads suspended for the final?

i dont think Wengers tactics were bad at all,went perfectly for 20 mins arsenal sat back and caught barca on the break and got the goal,the Barca equaliser was nothing to do with tactics,messi got a little bit of luck when the ball broke back to him and he punished arsenal,i think from there heads dropped and it was always going to be an uphill struggle. the only tactical mistake i thought wenger made was starting Silvestre over Campbell altho looking back on it perhaps wouldnt have made any diffrence but as a personal choice i would go Campbell all day over Silvestre.oh i just seen campbell failed a fitness test! my bad

Some stats from last nights game. Messi/Xavi run Barca...

27012_384501457556_175449817556_3737731_

Barcelona Average Positions in the 2nd leg (left) and 1st leg (right). Where Messi (10) goes, Barca go. In the absence of Ibrahimovic, Lionel Messi played through the middle, compared to on the right in the first leg, leading to a much more balanced Barcelona side in terms of attacking. In the 1st leg 48% of the Blaugrana's attack came down the right flank (30% down the centre), compared to 31% in the second leg (35% down the centre).

27012_384501467556_175449817556_3737733_

Xavi successful passes in the second leg (left) and unsuccessful passes (right). Over the course of the two matches Xavi missed just 15 of his 244 passes, an accuracy of 93%. In fact, the midfielder completed more passes (229) than Abou Diaby, Denilson, Fabregas and Nasri combined (203) over the two legs.

Barca's ball retention is incredible,Xavi and Iniesta hardly give the ball away at all,instead of forcing a pass they always look to keep possesion going backward if needs be,English teams tend to always look to go forward and find the killer pass to often

you cannot compare arsenal last night with united in the final, united were missing darren fletcher..... yes he works hard but isnt going to create an awful lot! Arsenal were without Arshavin Van Persie Gallas and Fabregas who ( bar Gallas) are Arsenal's most creative players! yes Barca were missing a few but if memory serves me correct didnt Barca have a couple of lads suspended for the final?

i dont think Wengers tactics were bad at all,went perfectly for 20 mins arsenal sat back and caught barca on the break and got the goal,the Barca equaliser was nothing to do with tactics,messi got a little bit of luck when the ball broke back to him and he punished arsenal,i think from there heads dropped and it was always going to be an uphill struggle. the only tactical mistake i thought wenger made was starting Silvestre over Campbell altho looking back on it perhaps wouldnt have made any diffrence but as a personal choice i would go Campbell all day over Silvestre.oh i just seen campbell failed a fitness test! my bad

Why the fuck would you have Campbell over Silvestre? Barca play the ball 99% on the floor - Choosing a player who is slow but great at heading the ball away is suicide. Silvestre's got more pace and awareness about him.

Fletcher's not there to create anything - he's there to break down offence attacks - something he's bloody good at and would have helped breaking down Xavi and Inesta instead of Anderson.

campbell is a better centre back than Silvestre easily,almost 100 caps for england and has played Barcelona before in the champions league,also probably quicker than Silvestre. guess its down to personal choice but had Campbell not been injured last night he wuda played over Silvestre who has been really dissapointing for them!

come on seriously..... so if you had darren fletcher you woulda won the champions league? i remember not so long ago when anderson was seen as the next big thing and fletcher was considered rubbish. i think Fletcher is a good player but wuda had no impact on the result.

Arsenal were poor last night, no doubt about it, but like people have said when you are missing Van Persie, Fabregas, Arshavin, Song and Gallas it's going to be difficult no matter who you play. Yeh, Barca were missing players but the areas in which they had players out meant it did not effect the game a great deal. Xavi completed 93% of huis passes over the two legs, Barca just kept the ball and made over twice as many passes as Arsenal, if you don't have the ball then you can't expose the weaknesses at the back all that much. Ok they were missing Iniesta but the way Barca play they can be missing someone in midfield and Keita or Busquets  or Toure can come in and the loss does not hurt them so badly. Ibrahimovic didn't play but he has spent a decent amount of time on the bench anyway so I'm not sure how much that affected things, despite him scoring two in the first leg.

As for Man Utd v Barca in last years final, Man Utd did boss the first twenty minutes but you can't talk like that, Barca completly outclassed Man Utd for the following 70. Arsenal had a couple of opportunities at 1-0 last night, one where Diaby failed to slot Walcott in and one where Bendtner got given offside when he wasn't, if one of those had gone in who knows? But like I said about last years final, when you are on top and do have chances you have to take them in a game like Barca or they will destroy you, just like we saw last night and just like we saw in last years final.

i don't know, Fletcher would of kicked lumps out of messi, iniesta and xavi all game. if you remember back to that final united were all over them for the first 20mins. Barca couldn't put three passes together. Park missed a great chance to put us 1-0 up. he should of scored. Barca get a goal out of nothing. what you think that does to United's confidence? being all over them for 20mins and then barca get one chance and score. it's gonna knock your confidence. i just think we needed a Keane in there to push the lads on and inspire them, we had no one to do that. Fletcher would of been that guy.

i don't know, Fletcher would of kicked lumps out of messi, iniesta and xavi all game. if you remember back to that final united were all over them for the first 20mins. Barca couldn't put three passes together. Park missed a great chance to put us 1-0 up. he should of scored. Barca get a goal out of nothing. what you think that does to United's confidence? being all over them for 20mins and then barca get one chance and score. it's gonna knock your confidence. i just think we needed a Keane in there to push the lads on and inspire them, we had no one to do that. Fletcher would of been that guy.

Darren Fletcher has come on leaps and bounds but he is not in even closed to being compared to Roy Keane and in reality he probably never will.

I don't think playing Fletcher in the CL final last year would of made much a difference, he would not have been able to even try and contain the Xavi, Iniesta, Messi trio, they have bettered much better holding midfielders than Darren in the past.

no chance

I think Fletcher is a good player who has got a lot better but I think you're overstating his influence slightly. He would of kicked lumps out of Xavi, Iniesta and Messi!? A lot of midfielders struggle to even get close to one of them never mind all three, plus if he did the chances are he would of picked up a yellow card early on and would then be restricted for the rest of the games. Also, Fletcher covers a lot of ground and undoubtedly does a good job but he is not Roy Keane, he doesn't do the same job and in no way has the same presence to influence the team in such a way. As I said above, you may well have bossed the first twenty minutes but it doesn't mean a thing, it's about taking your chances, you could talk all day about what would if happened if a shot went in or whatever, the fact is Man Utd got taught a lesson for over 3/4 of the game last year.

i didn't say he was as good as Keane, don't be daft for fuck sakes. as if!! i just meant he would of been our Keano. someone to lift the team and spur them on. i know Barca taught us a lesson i'm not denying that. just saying the game could of been so much different if we had taken our chances in the first 20 minutes.

i've been sayin on here for ages we need to spend in the summer because the current squad of players is not good enough. i know that. i just think that people sometimes don't give United credit. we destroyed AC Milan last round 7-2 on aggregate, if Barca had done that they'd be the best team of all time.