The Official Football Topic

Cuth

I don't think Tevez is too far behind. Yeah he had a shit copa america but city would have been fucked without him and he scored some absolute screamers! Villas Boas has had one decent season with Porto, hasn't managed champs league and won't be used to someone like abromovich messing and interfering in everything he does. I think he'll struggle unless Chelsea sign 3-4 players. Supposedly Neymar has rejected them and hopes to go to real madrid.

that goal shows what is great about football......most americans think football is boring but this showed them that even a 1-0 game can be the most exciting experience you can ever have...even if there isn't a goal for 90mins

i bet there are millions of people that watch football in american now purely because of the world cup and how good a run usa had

that goal shows what is great about football......most americans think football is boring but this showed them that even a 1-0 game can be the most exciting experience you can ever have...even if there isn't a goal for 90mins

i bet there are millions of people that watch football in american now purely because of the world cup and how good a run usa had

Yup, spot on.

How come women's football has taken off? USA have always had a good women's football team from what I can remember.

It's one of the few sports American women have that doesn't get shit on as a "girl's sport." We have insanely talented female athletes but our top money making sports- NFL (Football) NBA (Basketball) and MLB (Baseball) are all male. No one cares about softball or the WNBA. Ice skating, gymnastics, cheerleading and dance are all cool but still considered girly.

All of our male athletic talent goes to NFL, NBA, and MBA. And I'm not talking about at the professional level either. In my high school, not a single one of our really good male athletes played soccer. But TONS of our female athletes played soccer.

We don't care that much about soccer here so when our women kick ass at it (which is because so many of our talented female athletes play soccer while most of our males do baseball/football/basketball) we don't have a male team to point at and be like, "ehhhh the guys are better. Let's watch them instead." I don't even like soccer but I got into it because it's so awesome to see women getting respect as real athletes in a "man's" sport.

Because Americans aren't into soccer. As to why that is is a very long explanation that I'm sure you've heard. It boils down to culture really. Same reason Canadians are obsessed with hockey instead of say, basketball.

Americans aren't into soccer but when women do it it's way more appealing to us. We largely ignore the female oriented sports in which women kick ass, such as iceskating and gymnastics and pass them off as girly, and the sports that are considered manly, people just want to watch the men play because like you said, it's a joke to watch the women in comparison.

But soccer is different because in America, it's not really take seriously. Boys who play soccer in high school get called foot fairies. Like if a guy says he plays soccer, it's taken as seriously as a guy saying he runs track. Cool. No one really cares. I'm sure there are some exceptions but it's just not in our culture to take men who play soccer very seriously because everyone knows that the majority of our top male athletes do football, baseball, basketball, or even hockey and lacrosse. So when we watch women do it, they look so badass because we don't compare them to men.

It's picking up though Ali, I was reading something the other night that was saying more people in America are watching the MLS beat out the NHL in the number 4 spot for attendance in America.

Mia Ham is actually why I ever actually paid attention to the sport back when she was USA gold winner.(seeing as our women's team are the only football team that gets the wheaties box.) and then the Manchester United scene in Euro trip (which actually makes me laugh now because I realize It was a Red Devils bar in London) and before I got FSC and started playing FIFA, the only thing I knew about it was the US Women's team and ManUre.

I think the net is also a beautiful thing, because it's making it more available to even younger people with parents who wont spring for Fox Soccer & Gol Tv. (the only channel that airs it here)

Vancouver are beating City for real?