The Official Football Topic

Cuth

I've been watching United since 2002, and while they were poor in those years I think you're underestimating how bad the team is currently, and how bad everyone was back then.  I'm just saying that at least back then they had the players, even if they didn't put it together they at least had the people to field a good team.  Now the team is pure shit and just barely getting results, it's the complete opposite now.

Your underestimating how much OTHER teams have improved  - Spurs, City, Everton, etc... back in those days games were easy to predict, now there are no easy games (home or away). I've been watching United since 1989/90, the best team i've ever seen were 2006/7 onwards - Rio/Vidic/Evra/VDS were soilid, Giggs was incredible, Rooney/Ronaldo were on fire. Carrick and Scholes ran all the games. We're in another transition period - Scholes/Neville/VDS/Rio/Giggs all being replaced and some brilliant youngsters coming in like Nani/Hernandez/Cleverley/Jones/Smalling/De Gea/Da Silvas etc. If this squad can win the league over a pretty incredible/star-loaded team like Man City - i will be over the moon, would almost be up there with the 'you cant win anything with kids season'.

Nothing lasts forever mate, just be grateful players of that calibre were at the club (and most importantly won trophys for the club). Success is earned, not given. The next generation will do us proud, and if they don't - we'll just wait for the next one, just be grateful you grew up in this era, because pre 1990 - it was depressing.

what about the Champions League? that's gotta be squads/tactics, right?

You make yourself believe that Man Utd didnt even try in the Europa League. No team gets on the pitch to lose... Its obvious Athletic was 110% and United wasn't trying as hard as them, but you didnt play with kids and you're still Manchester United. That lesser team made you look like a Premiership team at some points in both matches.

One thing is losing two matches against the 7th team in La Liga, but losing like that? Maybe there is something to do with squad or tactics, even if its only a little bit.

You keep disrespecting the Europa League... but if you're there it's because you don't deserve to be somewhere better this season.

/rant

P.S. I have nothing against you of course :P but you don't seem to be able to be critical with your team. I don't ask you to be like Scott ("worst squad since the 70's", "Rooney needs to retire", and all the crap he says :D but I dont know, sometimes the players fuck up, Fergie doesnt do a good job, etc!).

I've never said Rooney to retire you mad cunt  :-P

Nani and Valencia and Vidic are a massive loss to us.

I don't believe United didn't want to win that, why play a strong team twice? the fact is Athletic pissed all over us over both games, they're far better than us all over the park. I wanted to win the Europa so I'm a little gutted to be out, but now City are out too I'm glad we're out as they'd have an advantage of resting players etc

Also, I've adopted Bilbao as my Spanish team as I don't have one  :-D

what about the Champions League? that's gotta be squads/tactics, right?

You make yourself believe that Man Utd didnt even try in the Europa League. No team gets on the pitch to lose... Its obvious Athletic was 110% and United wasn't trying as hard as them, but you didnt play with kids and you're still Manchester United. That lesser team made you look like a Premiership team at some points in both matches.

One thing is losing two matches against the 7th team in La Liga, but losing like that? Maybe there is something to do with squad or tactics, even if its only a little bit.

You keep disrespecting the Europa League... but if you're there it's because you don't deserve to be somewhere better this season.

/rant

P.S. I have nothing against you of course :P but you don't seem to be able to be critical with your team. I don't ask you to be like Scott ("worst squad since the 70's", "Rooney needs to retire", and all the crap he says :D but I dont know, sometimes the players fuck up, Fergie doesnt do a good job, etc!).

We underestimated the Champions league teams by constantly rotating the team/resting player. We payed the price which is Europa, imo its a shit comp - it means nothing, and has no finacial rewards or prestige anymore (its the Carling Cup of Europe). On paper, it looks like we've put out a strong team - but in reality it was used to get alot of players game time and the youngsters experience.

Adri - let me ask you this, what is more important to Manchester United - Europa or Premier League? I know Fergie doesn't feel it is important because in the last 15 or so years we've been in the Champions League we've been resting players FOR the CL games rather then the league games. In Europa there are alot of players who should have been in the starting line up that have been rested (Ajax games in particular). IMO i feel the Europa was punishment for not getting the job done in the CL groups games - too much changing the team, too many players playing because they we not match fit and resting players. Fergie DID NOT however, correct these errors for the Europa games because its simply not important to us.

People think Athletic pissed all over us, but didn't Ajax do the same thing? Come'on - this is'nt Manchester United on a PROPER European night now is it? I might be disrespecting the Europa League, but that is the REALITY of the game now. Some games have far importance finacially and historically.

i think even at near our best athletic would have won.....tonight they were unbelievable...great passing a movement...if llorente was still on the pitch the score would have been even higher

rooney's goal was great though....he's on fantastic form at the mo...if he keeps banging em in the league is ours

I think we can all recognize the weaknesses in the team, injuries have played a part though.  We're just not as good as we used to be, I don't think City have gotten that much better, I think we've just dropped so much that they look amazing by comparison.  Europe more or less proves this, 4 years ago 3 of 4 semifinalists were english, and the 4th english team only didn't make it because they played one of the other english teams in the quarters.  Take today when only chelsea remain, and probably not for long.  The premier league has dropped in quality, liverpool are far worse now, arsenal are a shadow of themselves, god knows what chelsea are doing and utd are getting weaker as well.  Not saying City aren't any good, but the team they have today in 2008 would have been fighting for a top 4 spot, not looking at a title.

Athletic Bilbao play some great football happy to see them go through. For Man City it was too little too late; their mental strength has to be in question, going 2-0 at home in a big match after losing first place in the league on Sunday. Massive game for them against Chelsea now.

Don't think I posted after LFC's win over Everton but was delighted. Gerrard finally got to play up near the opposition's area and it paid off big time. Carroll/Suarez/Gerrard starting as much as possible from here on out would be good for us as it seems we've done quite well when all three start. Have to play Stoke in the FA Cup this weekend (ugh) hoping for a hard fought victory.

In regards to English clubs performing poorly in Europe this season: is it just that they have gotten worse, or is it that maybe other leagues on the continent are improving substantially as well?

Ha, well if you didn't find that match exciting, you won't find many matches exciting.

Apparently Athletic fans were chanting United songs and swapping shirts with United fans after the game. Everything about that club seems perfect. I think they've become my favourite Spanish club lol.

Ive always hated bilbao coz my best friend supports them lol, but i gotta admit they are a great team. Especially since they only accept Basque players. Imagine a team in the premier who only have players from... I dont know, essex. Haha.

They also clapped off united fans when they left the stadium :P i guess its easy to be nice when youre beating united lol, but some teams wouldnt even be like that so hats off to them!