The Official Football Topic

Cuth

I would have got Jonny Evans for a third of that fee - every bit as good, which is why he'll end up at City, United or Arsenal in the next month i think. There are many quality CB's available for 30-40m or less. VVD is a good player but worth half the fee they paid for him imo.

2 hours ago, Roux said:

I would have got Jonny Evans for a third of that fee - every bit as good, which is why he'll end up at City, United or Arsenal in the next month i think. There are many quality CB's available for 30-40m or less. 

Not sure about that one, Evans is decent I guess but VVD has 4 years on him age wise and I think once he gets going at Liverpool he could be great.

Before he threw his toys out the pram at Southampton he was immense and also knew how to command a defence which is something Liverpool don't have at all. 

You pay over the odds to get your main in this day and age sadly, is Lukaku REALLY worth £75m + add ons? is Mbappe worth £160m after 1 season? is Dembele worth £100m? (or whatever it was) - it's just football in this day and age - read a rumour you're about to blow £53m on Napolis left back, if that happens is he worth it? etc etc etc...

It is what it is, football is mental these days. 

13 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Not sure about that one, Evans is decent I guess but VVD has 4 years on him age wise and I think once he gets going at Liverpool he could be great.

Before he threw his toys out the pram at Southampton he was immense and also knew how to command a defence which is something Liverpool don't have at all. 

You pay over the odds to get your main in this day and age sadly, is Lukaku REALLY worth £75m + add ons? is Mbappe worth £160m after 1 season? is Dembele worth £100m? (or whatever it was) - it's just football in this day and age - read a rumour you're about to blow £53m on Napolis left back, if that happens is he worth it? etc etc etc...

It is what it is, football is mental these days. 

4 years isn't a massive gap - specially when you consider you could get TWO quality CBs for that fee. 

Paying over the odds isn't the problem - it's can Liverpool afford to spend 75mil on one player who is good. but not great? You add Keita and Chamberlain and that's over 150m on 3 players. Remains to be seen how they all do - but none of them are special players imo. 

Well let's hope he starts being world class in the Prem soon for your sake. 

To be fair a lot of mancs talked that same shit about Firminho and Salah not being special players when we bought them and they are proving the critics wrong. I actually remember seeing you guys have a nice laugh at us for buying the former and he was technically a Rodgers signing. 

Klopp also has this weird effect on making mediocre players take it up a notch. Last season I'd have spit on you if you told me Adam Lalana would be crucial to setting up our attack but that's how it played out. 

We rain goals but our biggest problem at this juncture is we also concede them too much as well; if VVD can stay fit and we can fix our defense I feel pretty good about actually being a competing team. 

75 for a defender is nuts but the money clubs are creating this insane inflation. It makes me feel bad for your sunderlands and Swanseas but I guess that's the game now.

1 hour ago, BoogieMan said:

Well let's hope he starts being world class in the Prem soon for your sake. 

To be fair a lot of mancs talked that same shit about Firminho and Salah not being special players when we bought them and they are proving the critics wrong. I actually remember seeing you guys have a nice laugh at us for buying the former and he was technically a Rodgers signing. 

Klopp also has this weird effect on making mediocre players take it up a notch. Last season I'd have spit on you if you told me Adam Lalana would be crucial to setting up our attack but that's how it played out. 

We rain goals but our biggest problem at this juncture is we also concede them too much as well; if VVD can stay fit and we can fix our defense I feel pretty good about actually being a competing team. 

75 for a defender is nuts but the money clubs are creating this insane inflation. It makes me feel bad for your sunderlands and Swanseas but I guess that's the game now.

Well he has  - imo, him and KDB are the best midfielders in the league. 

We also said the same shit about Minloget/Karius/Henderson/Loveren/Chambelin/Can/Klaven, Benteke, Allen,  etc  For the money you have spent you really don't get much criticism for not challenging consistently. LFC fans cannot say the owners don't spend excuse anymore - especially now. 

Agree Klopp makes some mediocre players better (he's a motivational manager), but he also burns them out quicker - same thing happened at Dortmund.

Regarding conceding goals - I personally don't think its a player problem - more of Klopp's tactics when defending (Zonal) - especially at set pieces. 

There's still alot of evidence to suggest a reasonable price for a CB is possible- you only have to look at Keane, Mcguire, Rudiger etc. 

Liverpool had this weird transfer committee for a lot of Rodgers tenure we were also using Commoli.

No excuses though, I'll be the first to admit that our purchases have always been lackluster; we always try to be tight in the market and lose our top aspects to the London and Manchester clubs; but I still stand firm that this squad is beginning to look like contenders with a few missing pieces. 

The zonal marking does leave us open to counter attack and conceding from set prices, but Mignolet isn't assertive enough and is prone to silly personal mistakes. Look at the goal he conceded to Ozil in our last game against Aresenal for a perfect example. 

Klavan is  older but he's not next Jamie Caragher by any means, Lovren can be good but he is prone to silly errors and just taking his head out of the game (Sevilla and Arsenal draw for example) and Matip isn't vocal at all. 

we probably could have spent less on a CB but with our luck City or Arsenal would have snapped him up for 80. 

For me - i just wonder if this is the Courtinho money being used or its just all those sales in the summer. Ox, VVD, Keita for 150m+ is serious money.

Will be interesting to see who they will recruit in the summer. Looks like the clubs named their prices for Keita and VVD and Liverpool payed them. I just don't know how much difference either are going to make - but Klopp was relentless in getting them so i imagine he thinks highly of both. 

Next season will be a big one for Klopp (unless he can win the UCL this season), they've shown they have the money to compete with the big 6 and the fans can have no complaints. 

I wonder that too but our owners aren't hurting for money, two of their many franchises are The Boston Red Sox baseball team and the New England Patriots American football team and they are both big money championship winning franchises. 

I'm hoping we just really focus on defense in the summer, I feel like Liverpool haven't had a proper left back since Arebola and while I rate Can I'm pretty sure he's leaving too and it would be awesome to get another Mascherano-Eque defending mid fielder, even though I'd love to get someone in the mound of Xabi Alonso to feed the attack. Once Solanke develops i have a feeling he's going to be awesome for us but a true Striker would be awesome as well and that could even open Firminho up to play a more creative position. 

We'll see though. As much as I love them, I've learned to never get my hopes up with this team haha.

7 minutes ago, Roux said:

Surely United have to get Ozil. 

Great deals for Liverpool and Southampton - that's some serious money they have now. 

Pool are dumb though. Why are they chasing mahrez or Lemar when they need a GK and ST??

add Oblak and Aubameyang to their team then they’re seriously challenging

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

Pool are dumb though. Why are they chasing mahrez or Lemar when they need a GK and ST??

add Oblak and Aubameyang to their team then they’re seriously challenging

Yep - a GK, striker and two midfielders. Henderson is awful. 

It kind fucked of me to say but I'm glad Henderson is injured ; we actually win games when he's not in the side.

Still kind of gutted about Coutinho but he was with us for five years, was an awesome asset and didn't win a thing; no one in their right mind would turn down that chance. I wish he would have waited until summer though.