The Official Football Topic

Cuth

4 hours ago, Bucko said:

I don't think there is a better player to watch in the league. Still not good enough for England though... 

Agreed.

I said before on here - he dribbles the ball like Messi, Hazard and Giggs in his prime -  all of them skip past players like they don't exist and draw foul after foul. 

He's been doing this for 2/3 seasons consistently now, just Villa finally have the players to back him up. He's got to move to a bigger club, would be a crime not to see him in the Champions League. 

• Like 1

I still despise our owners but really can't knock the job Moyes is doing at the moment, great points return from 8 games considering we've played Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Spurs, Wolves and Leicester in 6 of those. We shouldn't have lost the Arsenal game either. 

Antonio back after the international break as well, think you'd struggle to find a more in form striker in the league since football resumed after the first lockdown. 

Slightly worried as I think our style is suited to counter attacking teams that open up and we sometimes lack the nous to breakdown teams that try to soak up pressure. Either way, things going much better than I thought they would this season!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you can really compare. 

Different eras, also all of us were to young to see Maradona actually play. Not sure how we can definitely say who was better out of him/Pele and the likes of Messi/Ronaldo. I know we all argue who is the best but maybe we should just accept they're all incredible and it doesn't really matter.

What a life he lived, went early but he lived 10 lives in those 60 years.

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

I don't think you can really compare. 

Different eras, also all of us were to young to see Maradona actually play. Not sure how we can definitely say who was better out of him/Pele and the likes of Messi/Ronaldo. I know we all argue who is the best but maybe we should just accept they're all incredible and it doesn't really matter.

What a life he lived, went early but he lived 10 lives in those 60 years.

Of course you can compare, that's what sport (as entertainment) is about. We do it with every other sport - LeBron vs Jordan Vs Bird. Lewis Hamilton and Schumacher. Tyson, Ali and Mayweather. Borg vs Federer. Khabib vs GSP etc - all those names transcended eras. Part of the fun is ranking greats. 

You don't have to have witnessed them during that era to compare (i.e Larry Bird or Maradona) just know what they accomplished and what set them apart. I only really caught the end of Michael Jordans career - but learned a shit load of stuff about him in the following years and became a huge fan - he got me in to the NBA. Obviously Maradona and Messi have a very similar styles so its an easy comparison to make.

In my opinion, i think what both Messi and Ronaldo have done in terms of honors, personal honors, style of play, consistency over a very long period of time and how they progressed the sport pushes them to the very top. But, i can understand if people disagree - its like the CR7 vs Messi debate - i can see reasoning for both sides. 

Maradona played on pitches that would crumble and move and had players kick lumps out of him, messi and ronaldo play on carpets and have protection against minimal contact, you really cant compare..

Just have to accept he was an amazing player yet with massive flaws..

I rate him over pele anyways who played a bunch of farmers most his career at least Maradona played in different and challenging leagues...

3 minutes ago, prankerd14 said:

Maradona played on pitches that would crumble and move and had players kick lumps out of him, messi and ronaldo play on carpets and have protection against minimal contact, you really cant compare..

Just have to accept he was an amazing player yet with massive flaws..

I rate him over pele anyways who played a bunch of farmers most his career at least Maradona played in different and challenging leagues...

Players were definitely allowed to be more aggressive back those days when Maradona played. But what i think is often overlooked in today's game is the mental side - there is so much pressure to perform (and behave) from media, social media, fans etc - we are going to (and have) see the mental aspect break footballers down - i.e Rashford, Sterling and Beckham etc are hammered - there's clearly a massive link to footballers and depression because of the mental side. I would definitely take the physical aspect of the game in Maradona's era than the mental aspect we see now. 

Up to 5th with that smash and grab, take it all day long. Take the rough with smooth with VAR even though I hate it.

Karma for Villa as well, how many times is Grealish already on the way down before he even gets touched? Hes a great player and doesnt need to do it, gets an easy ride with it atm as hes the new media darling. There were a few of them throwing themselves around this evening, glad we shafted them tbh.

Fuk i hope Raul Jimenez is able to play football again - sounds like his operation went well. That impact was insane. 

Absolute madness there isn't 5 subs this season - these idiots at the FA and certain managers are gonna burn these players out - no wonder players show up to England training a mess compared to other teams. There's no compassion for the health of these players. 

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE MILLIONAIRES, FOR JUST ONCE! 😭

Five subs is a crock of shit, just gives larger squads even more of an advantage. Glad most teams in the league saw through that and voted against it.

Likes of Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc can easily rotate with the size/quality of their squads, they don't need five subs every game as well to give them even more of an advantage over everyone else. 

Klopp moaning about TV schedules as well while happy to fucking coin it from them, embarrassing. Liverpool have just got unlucky with injuries, it's football...it happens - they were overdue a bad run of injuries to be honest, they've been incredibly lucky the past couple of years avoiding injuries to key players.