The Official Football Topic

Cuth

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

I was just trying to come at it from a fair angle and see both sides to be honest, try it sometime. 

You don't have to play in the same position to have a negative impact on someone elses game as well btw. 

Fernandes has never been that great for Portugal but excellent for United, Ronaldo comes into United and suddenly Fernandes looks a lot poorer, surely there at least MIGHT be something in that?

Greenwood looked great up front first few games, he is a natural finisher but he's got shunted out wide and the goals dried up.

It's ALWAYS the Ronaldo Show when he plays, everyone else is the supporting cast - whether that's good for the team or not. 

On another note, why are Man United so obsessed with the past? OGS as manager, Carrick as coach despite having no experience, bring back Fergie's assistant in Phelan, sign a 36 year old legend who is past his best, Fergie hanging around like some overbearing parent - it's just clinging onto the old glory days and trying to replicate the past rather than looking forward to create something modern and fresh.

I think what I've said is fair and you're constantly trying in vein to prove your point.

Greenwood has generally always played on the right wing for 3 seasons now. He's played 14 games this season (same as Ronaldo) - yet somehow Ronaldo is stalling his career? okay... 

Fernandes has been giving the ball away since he started at United - I've mentioned this many times before, just his goals and assists mask this huge problem. Nothing to do with Ronaldo, in fact they actually have a good understanding with each other. 

You're just weirdly obsessed with Ronaldo being a sentimental signing. imo, 90% of United problems are in defence and GK.

In your last point - overall OGS did a good job to stabilize the club, get rid of lots of deadwood and bring in some exciting players - now is a good time to pass the team over to someone else. That team did a good job overall. Most clubs have people from their past attached to the club as DoF/Coaches etc (i.e Ajax) - so kind of a mute point. 

1 hour ago, Scott. said:

Rangnick. Have we finally done something right? I’m more excited about him going upstairs and sorting the mess out. Fucking hell we may actually have a plan moving forward now. 

Yep - good decision. The 2 year thing was unexpected, but very much needed. His dream job apparently.

Just now, Scott. said:

Messi winning last night is a bit of a joke. Makes a mockery of the whole thing. If you’re going to give it based on what someone has won then Jorginho won the CL and the Euros in the space of 3 months…

I mean he shouldn't even be top 3. Lewy deserved it based on the last 2 seasons. Deffo some shady shit going on there. 

Happy for Pedri though - unreal talent. 

18 hours ago, Scott. said:

What you heard? I don’t know why he was dropped but we were mush worse without him that’s for sure 

Rangnick picked the team despite him not being manager, could be BS of course but the fact he is coming in and likes his forward lines to press it also seems entirely feasible 

5 hours ago, Roux said:

Because we played fear football with 3 DM's and were horrendous without him. 

You got a point away against top of the league, when you played more expansive with 2 DMs and Ronaldo you lost 5-0 and 2-0 at home to Liverpool and City. 

3 DMs in these big games might be the way to go for now, safety in numbers (until you can get a truly top class DM in Jan or next summer)

Rangnick picked the team despite him not being manager, could be BS of course but the fact he is coming in and likes his forward lines to press it also seems entirely feasible 

You got a point away against top of the league, when you played more expansive with 2 DMs and Ronaldo you lost 5-0 and 2-0 at home to Liverpool and City. 

3 DMs in these big games might be the way to go for now, safety in numbers (until you can get a truly top class DM in Jan or next summer)

The same expansive system with 2 DM's we beat all these teams with last season? 

It's not the way to go at all - they were very lucky not to concede 3/4 against Chelsea. They must go back to their counter attacking ways - especially with Sancho looking much better on the RW. 

i think you confuse a pressing system with work rate. United don't need to play a pressing system - their work rate has just been lacklustre at best recently. 

Lewy, Lukaku, Aubameyang, Mbappe, Haarland, Benzema etc don't press and yet their teams function pretty well. Rangnick might change that, but it wouldn't make much sense given the players he has. Besides, no amount of pressing/tactics can make up for individual mistakes/laziness. 

Yeah could be true. I’m ready to support whatever Ralf wants. We have to put our faith in him, I go he wants to bench ronaldo and let him go in the summer then so be it. 

19 hours ago, Roux said:

The same expansive system with 2 DM's we beat all these teams with last season? 

It's not the way to go at all - they were very lucky not to concede 3/4 against Chelsea. They must go back to their counter attacking ways - especially with Sancho looking much better on the RW. 

i think you confuse a pressing system with work rate. United don't need to play a pressing system - their work rate has just been lacklustre at best recently. 

Lewy, Lukaku, Aubameyang, Mbappe, Haarland, Benzema etc don't press and yet their teams function pretty well. Rangnick might change that, but it wouldn't make much sense given the players he has. Besides, no amount of pressing/tactics can make up for individual mistakes/laziness. 

Man United 0-0 Chelsea
Man United 0-0 Man City
Liverpool 0-0 Man United
Chelsea 0-0 Man United
Man City 0-2 Man United
Man United 2-4 Liverpool

1 win, 1 defeat and 4 draws...hardly beating all those teams is it?

Time will tell but it seems odd to bring in a coach like Rangnick who has consistently had teams press from the front and then ask him to change his style all of a sudden. 

Plenty of players in that team who are young/fit/willing enough to do it. Hell, Cavani even would. 

Carra made a very good point post match? are Man United going to win the PL or CL in the next two years? highly unlikely....so why is a team being built around a 36 year old legend...surely that's to win now, makes much more sense to build a team with the exciting young players in the forward positions with the hope of winning something in the next few years when they all mature at a similar time. Fergie did it with RVP, bought him to win now and it worked when they won the league in his last season...then it all fell apart when he left, building a new team around one 36 year old player is very dangerous - don't see how anyone can argue that. 

Man United 0-0 Chelsea
Man United 0-0 Man City
Liverpool 0-0 Man United
Chelsea 0-0 Man United
Man City 0-2 Man United
Man United 2-4 Liverpool

1 win, 1 defeat and 4 draws...hardly beating all those teams is it?

Time will tell but it seems odd to bring in a coach like Rangnick who has consistently had teams press from the front and then ask him to change his style all of a sudden. 

Plenty of players in that team who are young/fit/willing enough to do it. Hell, Cavani even would. 

Carra made a very good point post match? are Man United going to win the PL or CL in the next two years? highly unlikely....so why is a team being built around a 36 year old legend...surely that's to win now, makes much more sense to build a team with the exciting young players in the forward positions with the hope of winning something in the next few years when they all mature at a similar time. Fergie did it with RVP, bought him to win now and it worked when they won the league in his last season...then it all fell apart when he left, building a new team around one 36 year old player is very dangerous - don't see how anyone can argue that. 

Not a single goal conceded other than that last game. Now we're are getting dominated and humiliated with 3 Dm's or a back 3! 3-4 players have had a massive drop off in performance levels - Bruno, Maguire and Shaw for example. You can't blame Ronaldo for that or the system. The win vs City was with Martial up front - he's the last player who is going to press, but United won that game on the counter attack. 

Again, i think you're confusing work-rate with pressing. The only player that really presses in this team is Fred - because its a team based on counter-attacking. 

I don't really see why they can't win something now - doesn't have to be the league, but something.  

United's team is full of those exciting young players - especially in forward positions and they all play regularly when fit. I think most United fans would prefer either of the 2 world class goal scorers up front than Rashford/Martial/Greenwood. Ronaldo is supposed to be sharing that position with Cavani - but has had to play because Cavani's been injured, and we know both players are short team for someone like Haarland - the team isn't being built around both these players. 

No idea what Rangnick will do - but for me, he needs to first remove players who make constant errors. Something Ole didn't do. And a forward line of Rashford, Ronaldo, Sancho is scary good. 

The team can carry ronaldo if they all press. We did this in his first spell. Ronaldo has never fucking pressed 

Hes far more active than that argie cunt Messi though. Just strolling around the pitch. Fucking farce he’s been crowned best in world again

5 minutes ago, Scott. said:

The team can carry ronaldo if they all press. We did this in his first spell. Ronaldo has never fucking pressed 

Hes far more active than that argie cunt Messi though. Just strolling around the pitch. Fucking farce he’s been crowned best in world again

Yep - I'd be embarrassed picking up that award - its lost all credibility after that result. Soo many players are pissed.