The Official Football Topic

Cuth

On 6/19/2022 at 5:40 PM, Mr Blonde said:

Transfer window is wrecking my head already. Everyone doing good business, even fucking Arsenal for the second summer in a row looks like they’re gonna be spending 150m+ and there’s United with a reported 120m to spend when we’re so far behind everyone and dragging out this De Jong deal. 

Even this Henderson loan is a fucking joke. 20m option, so if they have a shit season and go down they won’t take it up and if they have a good season and stay up then 20m is to cheap. I just can’t wrap my head around this football club. Utterly fucking clueless in everything we do. 

It's not looking good - but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, this is the biggest change since Fergie left. Virtually all of the staff have changed. I have very low expectations for next season. We need to be in a place where we don't rely on Ronaldo so heavily. 

5 hours ago, Roux said:

But you realise it was a drastically different team Southgate put out in the 4-0 game right? You act like we are some immense team with him in the side - we were just as shit with him in the side... 

No midfield control whatsoever vs teams we should be doing much better against. 

If Kane get injured we are absolutely fucked - that is undeniable, Rice could be replaced quite easily. 

Had your golden boy Bellingham in there, would have thought he'd be able to destroy Hungary on his own the way you go on about him!

48 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Had your golden boy Bellingham in there, would have thought he'd be able to destroy Hungary on his own the way you go on about him!

Nice try - but nobody bigs up a player like you do with Rice! 

JB is a teenager with a much much higher ceiling than the West Ham David Batty. 

anyway, Ronaldo's my golden boy - you know the one that's in the PFA team of the year? Finished player apparently...

Jesus and Raphinha to Arsenal. 

Phillips and Cucurella to City.

11m to the Glazers for United 😎 amazing owners, we’re so lucky. Already miles behind City and Liverpool and now we’re miles behind Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. Honestly if Ten Hag gets us CL spot next season he’s a fucking genius 

2 hours ago, Mr Blonde said:

Jesus and Raphinha to Arsenal. 

Phillips and Cucurella to City.

11m to the Glazers for United 😎 amazing owners, we’re so lucky. Already miles behind City and Liverpool and now we’re miles behind Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. Honestly if Ten Hag gets us CL spot next season he’s a fucking genius 

Had a feeling Pep would go for Phillips instead of Rice - just as good, if not better at a fraction of the cost. 

City have recruitment and the speed of it locked down, better than anyone the last few years, puts United to shame. 

Just like Ronaldo, Ten Hag must be thinking fuck this im outta here. 

Mendes offering Ronaldo around now fuck me. He’s concerned the direction the club is going, can’t blame him I’d want to fuck off too. He hasn’t got long left of his career and United are a banter club. The glazers has completely killed this club

17 hours ago, Mr Blonde said:

Mendes offering Ronaldo around now fuck me. He’s concerned the direction the club is going, can’t blame him I’d want to fuck off too. He hasn’t got long left of his career and United are a banter club. The glazers has completely killed this club

I think this is the first time since before united he hasnt won a trophy! Maybe his first season at madrid maybe he didnt maybe but wow, united was a fun idea but he should of gone psg or man city.

Players talk and i think united have probably been trying to get shitloads of players but no1 wants to go there.

The fact they cant even get a guy who had a heart attack and played for brentford last season over the line shows the desperation of this club.

If Liverpool sell salah i can see both united and Liverpool not getting top 4 next season. Its going to be another great season 😀

De Jong looks like it’s going to be competed this week and I think we’ll get Eriksen too. I wonder what the midfield will look like next season @Roux do you reckon Bruno is in trouble? I got a feeling he could be dropped or maybe forced out to RW. 

On 6/25/2022 at 6:17 PM, Roux said:

Had a feeling Pep would go for Phillips instead of Rice - just as good, if not better at a fraction of the cost. 

How can you honestly believe this? Surely your vendetta on Rice is a wind up? 

10 hours ago, Bucko said:

How can you honestly believe this? Surely your vendetta on Rice is a wind up? 

Because in reality, that's what happened... 

Just my opinion - just like yours was Lacazette is more effective than Ronaldo apparently ha. 

12 hours ago, Mr Blonde said:

De Jong looks like it’s going to be competed this week and I think we’ll get Eriksen too. I wonder what the midfield will look like next season @Roux do you reckon Bruno is in trouble? I got a feeling he could be dropped or maybe forced out to RW. 

Would love Eriksen, good Mata replacement - but i believe it's been reported he wants to stay in London for family reasons. 

It really depends on which Bruno turns up - one match he's our best player, the next he's our worst and cost us goals/points. Not sure he can get worse than last season tbh. 

I get the impression some United players don't watch footage of themselves and learn from their mistakes. I do think with some good coaching players like Sancho, Rashford, Dalot - maybe AWB and Garner can jump up a few levels. Not so much with players  like Shaw, Maguire, De Gea. 

2 hours ago, Roux said:

Because in reality, that's what happened... 

Just my opinion - just like yours was Lacazette is more effective than Ronaldo apparently ha. 

I mean Phillips to City makes more sense, they need a back up/rotation player for Rodri rather than a replacement. 

Phillips can come in and do a job against the weaker teams and Rodri will play the big games, not really any point in having Rodri AND Rice if you only play one holding midfielder. 

I think if they were both available at the same price we'd know who Pep would pick...

50 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I mean Phillips to City makes more sense, they need a back up/rotation player for Rodri rather than a replacement. 

Phillips can come in and do a job against the weaker teams and Rodri will play the big games, not really any point in having Rodri AND Rice if you only play one holding midfielder. 

I think if they were both available at the same price we'd know who Pep would pick...

Yeah Phillips. I think he's much more mobile/dynamic and fits their team better - which is why they bought him. And Pep has a great track record with midfielders. Phillips had better attacking/passing stats than Rodri last season.

This is the team that could buy Rice quite easily if Pep wanted him -they can easily spend 100m and still make a profit.

The reality is... like i've said a billion times on here, there are better/similar players out there at a fraction of the cost. It's not like we're comparing Makelele with Danny Mills here. 

1 hour ago, Roux said:

£55m For De Jong @Mr Blonde - what a bargain! What are they smoking over there in Spain?

I mean they only paid £65m for him, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire for them and is unproven in the league he is coming to - I'd say that's a pretty fair price to be honest. 

Barca are also desperate to get money in so that makes it make even more sense. 

I'd be a little bit worried, it's pretty well known that he doesn't want to leave Barca (he even bought a big house next the training ground not that long ago) - is he another big name player coming for a pay day?

On 6/27/2022 at 11:54 AM, Roux said:

Yeah Phillips. I think he's much more mobile/dynamic and fits their team better - which is why they bought him. And Pep has a great track record with midfielders. Phillips had better attacking/passing stats than Rodri last season.

This is the team that could buy Rice quite easily if Pep wanted him -they can easily spend 100m and still make a profit.

The reality is... like i've said a billion times on here, there are better/similar players out there at a fraction of the cost. It's not like we're comparing Makelele with Danny Mills here. 

I mean he's much more injury prone as well, not to mobile/dynamic when you're on the treatment table. All you're doing is proving how little you watch Rice play every time you comment on his style/qualities. 

If City were looking to replace Rodri, they'd go for someone like Rice (or a similar elite player).

But they were looking to replace Fernandinho who was a rotation player so they went for someone who is cheaper/not as good/who would be more happy to sit on the bench more regularly. 

Think that's pretty obvious to most people.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I mean he's much more injury prone as well, not to mobile/dynamic when you're on the treatment table. All you're doing is proving how little you watch Rice play every time you comment on his style/qualities. 

If City were looking to replace Rodri, they'd go for someone like Rice (or a similar elite player).

But they were looking to replace Fernandinho who was a rotation player so they went for someone who is cheaper/not as good/who would be more happy to sit on the bench more regularly. 

Think that's pretty obvious to most people.

You can say what you like but Pep chose him. Get over it. 

So you're now hating on a player because he's had ONE injury hit season? That's how desperate are you to prove your point ha. 

Would you like me to point you to the stats/articles of why Pep bought him? Don't take my word for it -  Sky had a pretty good article about it - he's a great attack minded midfielder, with passing ability Rice could only dream of. He's competition for Rodri.

They spent £50m on him not £5m - that's quite a significant endorsement of Phillips i'd say, thats huge sums. Pep was desperate to sign him since last summer.

To approach this with 'that's how little you watch Rice' is just lazy just because someone doesn't share your opinion. do i watch him every game like you? Of course not - have i seen him enough over the last 5 years to form an opinion - absolutely. He's not some obscure player from South America or something. 

My point still stands, City could have easily bought Rice - but never showed any interest at all, not even an attempt. Didn't have that problem fronting the money for Kane, Phillips or Grealish now did they? Liverpool would rather buy Bellingham next summer (according to reports) with £100m and i don't blame them. 

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

I mean they only paid £65m for him, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire for them and is unproven in the league he is coming to - I'd say that's a pretty fair price to be honest. 

Barca are also desperate to get money in so that makes it make even more sense. 

I'd be a little bit worried, it's pretty well known that he doesn't want to leave Barca (he even bought a big house next the training ground not that long ago) - is he another big name player coming for a pay day?

In this market for a player of his quality - i'd say it's alot less than i thought we'd have to pay for him. Hard to say how he will fair in the league but you could say that about most players. Him and Pedri have been Barca's best players (by far), but yeah he's about to join United so i get the hate rather than focus on what he brings to a team - it's expected now from you. 

He's a player the England team desperately needs imo. 

7 minutes ago, Roux said:

You can say what you like but Pep chose him. Get over it. 

So you're now hating on a player because he's had ONE injury hit season? That's how desperate are you to prove your point ha. 

Would you like me to point you to the stats/articles of why Pep bought him? Don't take my word for it -  Sky had a pretty good article about it - he's a great attack minded midfielder, with passing ability Rice could only dream of. He's competition for Rodri.

They spent £50m on him not £5m - that's quite a significant endorsement of Phillips i'd say, thats huge sums.

To approach this with 'that's how little you watch Rice' is just lazy just because someone doesn't share your opinion. do i watch him every game like you? Of course not - have i seen him enough over the last 5 years to form an opinion - absolutely. He's not some obscure player from South America or something. 

My point still stands, City could have easily bought Rice - but never showed any interested at all, not even an attempt. Didn't have that problem fronting the money for Kane or Grelish now did they?

In this market for a player of his quality - i'd say it's alot less than i thought we'd have to pay for him. Hard to say how he will fair in the league but you could say that about most players. Him and Pedri have been Barca's best players (by far), but yeah he's about to join United so i get the hate rather than focus on what he brings to a team - it's expected now from you. 

I thought Adama Traore was Barcelona's best player? 😬

Nothing I said about De Jong wasn't true though, he hasn't set the world on fire in his time there, he doesn't want to leave Barca (his dream club since being a kid) and he has just bought a house next to the ground. 

Also seems strange to me they're willing to sacrifice him to bring in a 34 year old Lewandowski...

He could still be a success at Man United? Of course he can...but he isn't 100% set on coming to you and your record on big money/big name signings is hardly great in the past decade.

Just offering an opinion and debating, isn't that the point of this thread?

39 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I thought Adama Traore was Barcelona's best player? 😬

Nothing I said about De Jong wasn't true though, he hasn't set the world on fire in his time there, he doesn't want to leave Barca (his dream club since being a kid) and he has just bought a house next to the ground. 

Also seems strange to me they're willing to sacrifice him to bring in a 34 year old Lewandowski...

He could still be a success at Man United? Of course he can...but he isn't 100% set on coming to you and your record on big money/big name signings is hardly great in the past decade.

Just offering an opinion and debating, isn't that the point of this thread?

To be honest, he was when he played, but Dembele was far better - something i never disputed. 

I think he's done his job - walked in as a kid in an underperforming team, became the engine of team - played every game, established himself as the engine of the national team too. Became one of the most intelligent players in the world in his position - i can't ask for more than that. Xavi/Iniesta levels? of course not. 

Barca obviously need the cash like we all know - other than Pedri/Fati - who else is going to raise that much money for them?

I'm sure he's heartbroken about earning millions at one of the biggest clubs in the world - working with the manager that made him and getting to play with the likes of minnows like Ronaldo, Varane, Sancho etc. And having a team built around him as the centerpiece. From what i've read he's open to the move: https://theathletic.com/3358209/2022/06/10/manchester-united-de-jong-kante-phillips-nunez/.

Are you telling me if someone offered you £55m for De Jong you wouldn't do it? Madness - we badly need him -absolute no brainer.  

Never said you couldn't debate - just obvious that if he were to go to Liverpool or Chelsea for £55m we'd hear a very different angle from you.